Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6624&start_row=1

Zerubbabel: Type of Messiah

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 8/16/2016 9:22:23 AM

Greetings in Haile Selassie I

I'll post an article related to the thread I started called: 'Meditation on the Presence of Messiah'. I wrote about the Opening of the seals in Revelation and touched upon Zerubbabel. I thought I'd elaborate on my thoughts on his role as foreshadowing the returned Messiah - Haile Selassie I.

Compare this quote with the returned Jews to Israel since the State of Israel was formed in 1948 during Haile Selassie I's reign. That is after 2000 years of exile.

"Zerubbabel led the first group of Jews, numbering 42,360, who returned from the Babylonian Captivity in the first year of Cyrus, King of Persia (Ezra). Zerubbabel also laid the foundation of the Second Temple in Jerusalem soon after.

In all of the accounts in the Hebrew Bible that mention Zerubbabel, he is always associated with the high priest who returned with him, Joshua (Jeshua) son of Jozadak (Jehozadak). Together, these two men led the first wave of Jewish returnees from exile and began to rebuild the Temple (Ezra)."

Wikipedia on Zerubbabel

I believe that Joshua the High Priest represents Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ) and that Zerubbabel represents Haile Selassie I in the book of Zechariah.

I'll now post an article I found online. I believe that Haile Selassie I is descended from Menelik I, son of Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. So I don't agree with everything but I find the article interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Zerubbabel: Type of Messiah

Although Jeconiah’s descendants were cursed in that they could not sit on the throne of David as the king of Israel , clear messianic promises were made to Jeconiah’s grandson, Zerubbabel. Zerubbabel returned from the Babylonian captivity and helped rebuild the temple. Because he was a direct descendant of David, Solomon and Rehoboam, he was eligible to sit as king. The Scriptures are clear, from Zerubbabel’s genealogy, that he is from King David through Rehoboam and Jeconiah. Zerubbabel’s genealogy follows:

1 Chronicles 3:10 “And Solomon's son was Rehoboam, Abia his son, Asa his son, Jehoshaphat his son, (11) Joram his son, Ahaziah his son, Joash his son,(12) Amaziah his son, Azariah his son, Jotham his son, 13 Ahaz his son, Hezekiah his son, Manasseh his son, (14) Amon his son, Josiah his son.(15) And the sons of Josiah were, the firstborn Johanan, the second Jehoiakim, the third Zedekiah, the fourth Shallum. (16) And the sons of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah his son, Zedekiah his son. (17) And the sons of Jeconiah; Assir, Salathiel his son, (18) Malchiram also, and Pedaiah, and Shenazar, Jecamiah, Hoshama, and Nedabiah. (19) And the sons of Pedaiah were, Zerubbabel, and Shimei: and the sons of Zerubbabel; Meshullam, and Hananiah,”

However, the kingdom was taken away from the Jews, and Israel was under the authority of a foreign power. Zerubbabel was recognized only as the governor and not the king of Israel . The curse was in effect as Zerubbabel did not sit as the king of Israel .

Haggai 1:1 “In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, in the first day of the month, came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet unto Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah,”

There is no Scripture in the Bible to indicate that the curse was lifted off Jeconiah’s descendants which would include his grandson, Zerubbabel. Although the curse was not lifted off Jeconiah’s descendants, clear messianic promises were made to Zerubbabel by the prophet Haggai. The prophet Haggai shows a direct link between Zerubbabel and the Messiah. The Messiah is addressed and described by Haggai under the name of Zerubbabel. By addressing the Messiah in the name of Zerubbabel, a clear messianic link was established from David, Solomon, Rehoboam, Jeconiah to Zerubbabel. The Scriptures by Haggai follow:

Haggai 2:21 “Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah , saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth;

(22) And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.

(23) In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the LORD of hosts.”

The above Scriptures could not have been about Zerubbabel, but have to be directly related to the Messiah. There are several indicators in Haggai 2:21-23 which completely rule out Zerubbabel. In Zerubbabel’s day, God did not shake the heavens and earth. The kingdoms of the Gentiles were not overthrown. Zerubbabel was never made as a signet as he never was the king of Israel but only a governor of Judah . The person of the Messiah is God’s signet.

This promise by God was to show that although the kingdom was taken away, under the Messiah it would be restored. All of this awaits for a time in the future and the rule of the King Messiah. The key is the Messiah is addressed as Zerubbabel. This means the messianic line must continue through him.

God will shake the heavens and the earth at the time the messianic kingdom is being set up. The Bible refers to this time as the Day of the LORD.

Isaiah 13:9 “Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it. (10) For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.

(13) Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.”

During the Day of the LORD the nations of the earth will be united in an attempt to destroy Israel and take Jerusalem . This event will trigger the coming of the Messiah to overthrow these nations and set up His everlasting Kingdom over all the earth. The Messiah will stand on the Mount of Olives and destroy the armies that attempt to destroy Jerusalem . With His Divine power, He will annihilate these armies. The prophet Zechariah shows this:

Zechariah 14:1 “Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. (2) For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

(3) Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. (4) And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof

(12) And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem ; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

(9) And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

(16) And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

(17) And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.”

Only three people in the Hebrew Scriptures are addressed as the Messiah: David, Solomon and Zerubbabel. They are all of the kingly line and all become a type of the Messiah. Zerubbabel was addressed as the Messiah in Haggai 2:23. Solomon was addressed as the Messiah in Psalm 72, and David was addressed in several places as the Messiah. One example from Ezekiel follows:

Ezekiel 34:23 “And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.”

The genealogy of King David through Rehoboam was maintained until the close of the Old Testament about 400 BC. The only progenitor for King Messiah, as recorded in the Bible, has to come through Zerubbabel. The only genealogical line from David to King Messiah, after the Jews returned from the Babylonian captivity, is that of Zerubbabel. There are no others that are recorded. God has very carefully narrowed the Messianic line directly through Zerubbabel. The Bible lists the descendants of Zerubbabel to the sixth generation after him.

There is no other descendant of King David whose genealogy is maintained after the captivity. Zerubbabel is the only progenitor in the Bible for King Messiah. The Scriptures to show that Zerubbabel’s genealogy was maintained until the sixth generation follow:

“And the sons of Pedaiah were, Zerubbabel, and Shimei: and the sons of Zerubbabel; Meshullam, and Hananiah, and Shelomith their sister: And Hashubah, and Ohel, and Berechiah, and Hasadiah, Jushabhesed, five. And the sons of Hananiah; Pelatiah, and Jesaiah: the sons of Rephaiah, the sons of Arnan, the sons of Obadiah, the sons of Shechaniah. And the sons of Shechaniah; Shemaiah: and the sons of Shemaiah; Hattush, and Igeal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six. And the sons of Neariah; Elioenai, and Hezekiah, and Azrikam, three. And the sons of Elioenai were, Hodaiah, and Eliashib, and Pelaiah, and Akkub, and Johanan, and Dalaiah, and Anani, seven.” 1 Chronicles 3:19-24

The genealogy of Zerubbabel, as recorded in the Book of 1 Chronicles has a very unique factor. This further shows the Bible’s special attention given to Zerubbabel and his descendants. The Book of 2 Chronicles ends with Cyrus, the King of Persia, allowing the Jews to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple. Zerubbabel was with the first group of Jews that returned. This event occurred in approximately 535 BC. The last verse recorded in 2Chronicles follows:

“Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia , All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem , which is in Judah . Who is there among you of all his people? The LORD his God be with him, and let him go up.” 2 Chronicles 36:23

The unique factor is that Zerubbabel’s genealogy was kept for six generations after the close of 2 Chronicles! The genealogy of Zerubbabel was maintained by some person or persons for approximately 100-150 years after the completion of 2 Chronicles. God sent several prophets to Israel after the return from Babylon . These prophets included Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi. It is entirely probable that the prophets were monitoring Zerubbabel’s genealogy because they were aware of the Messianic significance.

Haggai was well aware of Zerubbabel as he prophesied of King Messiah in the name of Zerubbabel, Haggai 2:21-23. Malachi was the last prophet of Israel until the coming of King Messiah. Because Malachi was a prophet, he would have the authority to add to the Bible. Malachi probably updated Zerubbabel’s genealogy until he passed away. With his passing, no person would have the authority to add to the Bible; thus Zerubbabel’s genealogy ended. The last progenitor of King Messiah’s line in the Bible is Zerubbabel.

The Messianic line runs from David to Solomon to Rehoboam to Jeconiah to Zerubbabel to the Messiah. There is no place in the Bible which shows the curse on the kingly line has been lifted. Because of the curse, anyone born of a human father and claims to be the Messiah will have the curse of Jeconiah to block such a claim. The Messiah of Israel cannot have a human father.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Blessings in Haile Selassie I.

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 8/16/2016 10:41:13 AM

Zechariah Joshua Zerubbabel
—Christ as both Priest and King

Among the remnant of Israel, two special men represented the two great families of the former kingdom. These men were regarded as the "sons of oil" that is to say anointed ones (Zechariah 4:14).

God had fulfilled the land/nation promise made to Abraham, whose offspring had become a great and glorious nation. This nation was named Israel, after Jacob the grandson of Abraham. Jacob’s name was changed to Israel. He fathered the twelve tribes from which the nation grew.

The nation of Israel arose out of slavery and oppression in Egypt to become rich and victorious. But later it divided, and eventually both divisions fell back into bondage to foreign powers. The Israelites became a scattered remnant.

After the rise and fall of Israel, there was a much more important promise, still unfulfilled, which God had made to Abraham. This was the seed or messianic promise. In this promise the remnant of Israel found consolation and hope. Through the prophet Zechariah, God repeated this promise.

"Behold the man whose name is Branch.
From his place he will branch out
And he shall build the temple of the Lord.
Yes, he shall build the temple of the Lord.
He shall bear the glory
And shall sit and rule on his throne.
So he shall be a priest on his throne,
And the counsel of peace shall be between them both."
Zechariah 6:13

In association with this promise, Zechariah performed a symbolic act equal in significance to that which Melchizedek had done way back in the time of Abraham: ; Zechariah put a golden crown on the head of Joshua the highpriest.
1 Zerubbabel the Royal and Joshua the Priest

In Zechariah’s time, two special men represented the two great families of the erstwhile kingdom of Israel. These men were regarded as the "sons of oil" or anointed ones (Zechariah 4:14).

The first man, Zerubbabel was of the royal household, the family of David of the tribe of Judah. Had the nation remained, Zerubbabel might well have been its king, instead of governor under Darius the Medo-Persian king. Nevertheless, Zerubbabel was able to shepherd his people in a kingly role, and was the ancestor of Christ.

The second man, Joshua was of the priestly household, the family of Aaron of the tribe of Levi. Had the temple of Solomon still been standing, Joshua might well have been its high priest. As it was, he was officiating on an altar built amongst the rubble of Jerusalem. Nevertheless, he was able to make atonement for the people’s sins. Joshua (the name in its Greek form is Jesus) was the foreshadower of Christ.
2 Zechariah’s Symbol and Prophecy

Zechariah, at God's command, made an ornate crown of gold and silver, but it never graced the head of Zerubbabel, the rightful king. Instead this kingly crown was placed on the head of Joshua the priest! Then it was put aside as an ornament for the future temple.

The significance of this strange coronation is announced in the prophetic speech which Zechariah made at the time (quoted above). The speech commences, "Behold the man..." The man Zechariah referred to was neither the royal Zerubbabel nor the priestly Joshua, but that Man of the future who would be more special than either Zerubbabel or Joshua.

The head of Joshua within the golden crown symbolized that priesthood would be incorporated with kingship. The man of the future, the offspring of Zerubbabel, was in line not only to sit upon the royal throne of David, but also to officiate at the mercy seat in the Holiest. He would be both king and high priest.
3 The Royal Priesthood

You and I would have no problem with this idea of a royal priesthood. It seems to be such a simple and natural thing for the Lord Jesus, that he should not only be our great King, but also our great High Priest. To those who knew the law of Moses, however, our Lord's royal priesthood raised a real difficulty: the law of Moses would actually prohibit such a thing.

Both parents of Jesus were descendants of Judah, David, and Zerubbabel. Since Jesus was so firmly established in the royal lineage, the Jew could accept Jesus as the Lion of Judah, who has right to the scepter and throne of David. But how could the Jew accept Jesus to also be the Lamb, who has the right to carry holy blood through the veil into the Holiest, and stand before the mercy seat? Under the law of Moses, only a son of Levi and Aaron could gain that right of high priesthood, not a son of David albeit Messiah himself.

This knotty problem fascinated the writer to the Hebrews in the New Testament, and he reconciles the difficulty for his Jewish brethren by drawing a radical, revolutionary, but necessary inference. His conclusion is found in Hebrews 8:1-2. The tabernacle is now in heaven. Not a tabernacle or temple as such, but the heavenly realities which the earthly structures only symbolized and foreshadowed (Hebrews 8:5, Hebrews 12:22-24).

Our High Priest is now enthroned at the Father’s right hand in heaven and he now officiates in the true tabernacle of heaven (Hebrews 8:1-2, 9:24). There was an earthly priesthood ordained for the earthly tabernacle. Christ was excluded by Mosaic law from that priesthood. So, "if he were on earth he would not be a priest" (Hebrews 8:4). Since he cannot be a priest on earth he must be a priest in heaven, and he must be the mediator of a new and better covenant (Hebrews 9:11-15).

Zechariah Joshua Zerubbabel
— Christ as both Priest and King

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 8/16/2016 10:47:10 AM

1 Peter 2
The Chosen Stone and His Chosen People

4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious,
5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture,

“Behold, I lay in Zion
A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

Zechariah 4
Vision of the Lampstand and Olive Trees

1 Now the angel who talked with me came back and wakened me, as a man who is wakened out of his sleep.
2 And he said to me, “What do you see?”

So I said, “I am looking, and there is a lampstand of solid gold with a bowl on top of it, and on the stand seven lamps with seven pipes to the seven lamps.
3 Two olive trees are by it, one at the right of the bowl and the other at its left.”
4 So I answered and spoke to the angel who talked with me, saying, “What are these, my lord?”

5 Then the angel who talked with me answered and said to me, “Do you not know what these are?”

And I said, “No, my lord.”

6 So he answered and said to me:

“This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel:
‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’
Says the Lord of hosts.

7 ‘Who are you, O great mountain?
Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain!
And he shall bring forth the capstone
With shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’”

8 Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying:

9 “The hands of Zerubbabel
Have laid the foundation of this temple;
His hands shall also finish it.
Then you will know
That the Lord of hosts has sent Me to you.

10 For who has despised the day of small things?
For these seven rejoice to see
The plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
They are the eyes of the Lord,
Which scan to and fro throughout the whole earth.”

11 Then I answered and said to him, “What are these two olive trees—at the right of the lampstand and at its left?”
12 And I further answered and said to him, “What are these two olive branches that drip into the receptacles of the two gold pipes from which the golden oil drains?”

13 Then he answered me and said, “Do you not know what these are?”

And I said, “No, my lord.”

14 So he said, “These are the two anointed ones (Sons of oil literally - Zerubbabel and Joshua), who stand beside the Lord of the whole earth.”

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 8/27/2016 8:11:03 PM

Question!

Why doesn't 1Chr's genealogy of Zurubbabel and Matthew 1 match up?

In the post it says only David, Solomon and Zerubbabel are called "Messiah", can d I elaborate? I found only 2 instances where the word "messiah" is used.

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 8/28/2016 8:28:16 AM

I don't lnow why they don't match.

It means that they are spoken of in obvious messianic ways (as pertaining to THE Messiah).
If you read the next following sentences, it says:

They are all of the kingly line and all become a type of the Messiah. Zerubbabel was addressed as the Messiah in Haggai 2:23. Solomon was addressed as the Messiah in Psalm 72, and David was addressed in several places as the Messiah. One example from Ezekiel follows:

Ezekiel 34:23 “And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.”

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 8/28/2016 9:30:40 AM

I gotcha I!

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 9/4/2016 10:02:34 AM

Audio Sermon:
Zerubbabel: The Man, The Builder, The Messiah?

Messenger: Theee Sent: 9/5/2016 7:55:39 PM

Once someone went to the book to check on Jesus.. On his lineage.
This is what you are talking about.
When he returned it was that Jesus did not have the correct lineage. Ruth or Rebecca I and I think....
And this is also how you are questioning.
"Jesus" did answer the question already.
He is not related to King lineage.

Messenger: Theee Sent: 9/5/2016 8:09:22 PM

With that, your post was long.
Can you say there is a new line you have found that is different for this when matching them up.

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 9/6/2016 6:04:25 AM

The audio sermon is basically the same as my posts. Some things may be burdensome to read through in my posts and the audio sermon is quite comfortable to listen to. He sums up the parts well for you to connect it to Haile Selassie I, our Christ in His kingly character.

In the audio sermon's end it's mentioned that the genealogiy in Matthew is different from another one mentioning Zerubbabel. I think this is what Voodooruuts was asking about. The preacher explains that the second father of Zerubbabel mentioned in Matthew is his uncle.

Yeshua (Jesus) is of the lineage of King David.
For more information, see:
Jesus - Of David's Lineage

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I