Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=660&start_row=31

Dreadlocks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JudahC Sent: 10/10/2007 6:28:42 PM

does anyone no the real name for dreadlocks that the Nazarites used
becouse i watched one dvd saying tha the reason why dreadlock are called dreadlock is becouse when the whitepeople first came to africa and see tha most the african people had dreadlocks becouse thay didnt understand are holy way thay dreaded us so thay called us the dreaded people becouse there fear was so deep
so if anyone noes the real name for dreadlocks can you let me no plzz
beouse i dont want to be on road saying yeah i am a dread becouse i am not someone for people to dread .... you know what i mean

jahguide

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/11/2007 6:23:51 AM

Greetings
As far as I know the term 'dreadlock' was first used in the 1950s by the early members of I n I movement in Jamaica. They locked their hair as the ancient Nazarites and the people said they looked 'dreadful' and that's how the term 'dreadlock' came about. Others say because JAH is described as dread in the OT, He is mighty and to be feared so a Rasta has dread and respect for the Most High, JAH Tafari who also wore locks 'pon His head. In the Bible Samson's described as having seven locks on his head and as I n I know, archaeological findings show the ancient Africans as well many in the Bible had locks, some even up to their ankles like James and Simon in the NT. Other terms for locks are jata/jaTaa - dates back as far as 2500 BCE and its an ancient Vedic Hindu practice in India. Locks are called ndianga among the Baye Fall in Senegal. I don't know what the exact terms were in the Bible, perhaps you might need to research a bit to find the ancient Hebrew terms to describe the specific action of wearing God's crown as locks.
Blessed Love

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 10/11/2007 11:54:55 AM

someone other than samson had locks??!!!

thats sooooo interestin!

can you show me where in the scriptures please Im really curious now!!!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I