Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6563&start_row=21

Babylon schools

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 27
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: ConsciousRas Sent: 6/22/2016 11:50:57 AM

Blessed love,
Exactly sister, your on point. The main thing i wanted to share was the wholistic brain development. Left and right brain in pure balance and harmony. that should be the main foundation used to develop the child. And yes the grecco-alphabet system used is not very good. i am not happy speaking english. Whenever i meet up with friends from home i always switch up the language no matter what in order to improve i kiswahili or oromigna. Sometimes when i send emails like to JahChild replying to kiswahili words i have abit of trouble remembering the words fully because english was soo emphasized as a child while kiswahili was not fully pushed. In tanzania everything is done is kiswahili and i love it. Only thing is their kiswahili is concentrated and beautiful to hear while i kiswahili is more of urban slang mixed with english words not good at all. Still iman always speak i languages.Tanzania is a pioneer panafrican country due to the kiswahili language in effect which has shaped that country from julius nyereres time till now. I think it is important to teach the children in their home language and improve on that instead on beginning directly on english. Children now say their first words as english and the parents are always happy but in reality that is not very good to the african community.

Black strength and power always.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/22/2016 6:26:21 PM

Crazy Baldheads’ Seek to Eliminate Dreads
Respectability politics has no place in education

BY: CARL HART PH.D.
Posted: June 21, 2016

Is there a causal connection between hairstyles worn by black boys and their future success, and should we strongly encourage these boys to avoid wearing dreadlocks and braids? That’s what Steve Perry, Steve Harvey and the U.S. Army seem to be arguing. Recently, they teamed up to disseminate pearls for success to an audience of 200 young men of color.

According to a tweet by Perry, the team had succeeded: “I witnessed 200 boys VOLUNTARILY cut dreads, braids & unkept frosh bc @IAmSteveHarvey @USArmy connected aesthetics to success. Powerful.”

As a dreadlocked neuroscientist, the first black tenured professor in the sciences, the first black chair of the department of psychology at Columbia University and the father of three black sons, I find this line of reasoning deplorably ignorant and deeply disturbing. Indeed, a tremendous amount of advice given to black boys by proselytizers confuses cause and effect, such that it blames things like hairstyles or saggy pants for high unemployment rates and poverty, among other negative outcomes.

It is unfortunate and sad that Perry, the so-called most trusted educator in America, doesn’t seem to understand the difference between correlation and causation, but it is far more pernicious when this type of ignorance leads to policies that regulate the behavior of black young people.

In his book, The Price of the Ticket, Fredrick Harris detailed the pervasiveness of this phenomenon (also known as respectability politics) at HBCUs. For instance, Hampton University’s business school instituted a policy that prohibits male students from wearing “dreadlocks, braids and other unusual hairstyles.” Presumably, nondreadlocked students are viewed as “respectable.” Of course, this is not necessarily the case. For argument’s sake, though, suppose they were seen as more proper. But they certainly aren’t any smarter or any more prepared to compete in the workplace or for graduate school admission simply because of a haircut. Look, you don’t have to be a brain scientist to know that one’s choice of hairstyle has nothing to do with one’s ability to compete academically or in the marketplace. Ultimately, it’s about putting in the work to obtain the necessary skill set.

When I was studying for my Ph.D., I decided to grow dreads after a lengthy conversation with a machine technician at a DC Metro station. I had complimented him on his dreads, thinking that he was a Rastafarian. For years I had considered growing locks myself but was reluctant because I believed that it was disrespectful if you weren’t part of that religion. I also did not want to be seen as faddish or simply following the crowd: that’s not me.

But this brotha said that for him, wearing dreads was a way of paying homage and respect, even though he wasn’t religious. That resonated with me because listening to the music of Bob Marley—undoubtedly the most iconic dreadlock—first prompted me to really examine this society. Lines like “stolen from Africa,” in Marley’s “Buffalo Soldier,” and “brainwash education to make us the fools,” in his “Crazy Baldheads,” got me thinking about the heinous crime at the root of America’s relationship with its black people. And I decided right then to grow dreads. My hair reminds me that I could be myself and a conscious spirit, no matter what other people might think a scientist should look like. It connects me both to my heritage and my children. It marks when I began the process of learning how to think. And 21 years later with sprinkles of gray, it still feels right.

Peddlers of respectability politics should place more emphasis on teaching how to think, rather than on how to wear your hair, since this is irrelevant when it comes to acquiring any skills, especially academic and intellectual. Respectability politics has no place in education—which means that those who only have it to offer don’t, either.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/06/carl-hart-dreadlocks-steve-perry/

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/25/2016 10:45:35 PM

JAH Oneness All
Give thankhs for the reasonings.. I agree with the message about learning in the home language of course! Although as far as I know, Kiswahili is also a left-to-right language, so I am not sure if it places less emphasis on left brainedness than english does. One of the best ways I know for creating harmony and emphasizing cooperation between the brain hemispheres is to practice doing things with both hands and both feet, such as brushing teeth with the left hand, or kicking a ball with the left foot, or painting with the brush in the left hand (for people who are right-side dominant)... sounds easy enough but it really makes a huge difference, and psychologists even suggest that people try this to ease anxiety or chemical imbalances in the brain because it is proven to strengthen the wholeness of the brain's functioning.

Great article about youths and hair choices RasGoddess!
How 200 boys can "voluntarily" do anything that a famous actor is in front of them pushing them to do, I am not sure.

InsciousRas I can see what the I is saying, about eventually a child (or adolescent or even young adult) will have to switch over from homeschool Iducation to establishment education, depending on the profession the young person is seeking. I always use myself as an example of that, because I was homeschooled at my own will most of my life up til 9th grade (age 14), at which point I decided to attend school. My grades were higher than most in high school through college, so I use this point to show that homeschool students can transition very successfully into babylon schools and thereby finish their degrees or get professional training.

But with that being said, I would like to see a reemergence of the practice of apprenticeship instead of youths seeking babylon education for professional skills or qualifications. I think a young person who wants a specific profession should seek the guidance from a qualified and practicing professional in that field, and the professional should be willing to take the youth under their wing and teach them everything in a hands on atmosphere. This teaches the youth discipline as well as partnership in a professional capacity. If may be possible for the youth to make a small wage as well, if their work is helping the mentor's business, as opposed to having to pay sometimes tens of thousands of dollars for the education. And someone who learns in the real work environment is going to be miles ahead of the student who only learns theoretically in the classroom, so this method would produce new professionals at a higher skill level as well. Eventually that youth will be a practicing professional, taking their own apprentice, and so the process can go for generations. This is the real way to take Iducation out of the hands of babylon bureaucracy and place the process in the hands of the families and communities who are caring for the child, as it was before conscripted education.

JAH Guidance! Give thankhs for Life

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/26/2016 9:50:52 AM

Give thankhs JAH CHILD!

Love the suggestions for exercising both left/right brains. I've always admired those who are ambidextrous!

I also agree with apprenticeship as an alternative to being in debt for thousands of dollars for that degree. Some people master a trade simply by hands on learning, as opposed to a classroom.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 2:21:14 AM

Seen Impress!
As far as I know, we are all ambidextrous! The brain is extremely plastic (extremely able to adapt), that is one of the first things people learn in neuro-psychology. It just takes practice and the neurons mastering the new pathways necessary for those fine motor movements.
Love! =)

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/27/2016 6:49:46 AM

Wow! Well I better get dem neurons of mine to mastering some "NU PTAH-ways" (new pathways) coz I'm siriusly challenged with my left hand! LOL

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 11:33:43 PM

Nice wordplay Goddess! Hehe =)
Yes! Just like Nu and Ptah are associated with formless potential and all-being-ness which manifests creation, so is the brain capable of creating and manifesting new abilities.
Bless Up! Or as VDR said Create Up!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 27

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I