Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6536&start_row=11

Commercial natural tea, yes or no?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 1:44:10 AM

Seen King! Is Roibos a caffeinated tea, as in the classic Tea plant? Not familiar with the brand. Also not familiar with velvet bean, is this a type of coffee, or a different type of bean?
Which wild plants are the I's favorites for making tea?
JAH Love!

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 6/27/2016 2:55:22 AM

Dear Jah Child,

Rooibos is caffeine free - so no its not like the traditional tea plant. It is a south African shrub from cedarberg region, and from what I have read people who live traditionally there on average consume 5-6 cups of it per day. It is a plant with needles like it is shown below;

It is a favourite tea of mine.

I don't know much about velvet bean sorry, but it sounds like a type of coffee. I don't know for sure though.

It depends what grows where you live in the world, but here in the UK my favourite wild herbal teas are;

Red clover
Dandelion
Rosehip

Here is a map of wild medicinal plants in the US, if you live there for each state. I seem to remember that Garvey's Africa posted the same picture about a year or so ago, I think.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 3:06:11 AM

Seen Joe! Give thankhs! I think GA shared the same image a few years past... remember I&I in southern cali was fulljoying the many eucalyptus trees as the image describes... in Ethiopia there are many eucalyptus too, not only the globulus version but also one I think I have identified as polyanthemos or Red Box eucalyptus. I boil it and use for washing skin and locks, it is very beneficial to both as well as smelling beautiful =) Yes I love all three of the teas the I mentioned! Wish I could find some red clover blossoms, I dont think it grows here. Re: the rooibos, give thankhs for identifying the flower... but I think Black Heart was talking about a commercial brand?
More Love

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 6/27/2016 3:25:51 AM

Thanks for the reply jah child

"Re: the rooibos, give thankhs for identifying the flower... but I think Black Heart was talking about a commercial brand?"

Identifying the flower? The bush in the photo happens to be flowering, but the flowers aren't usually the bit used in the tea. It is the needles. The needles in the photo are green, but once harvested and dried turn red. The needles are what is used in commercial tea brands.

I use this brand since rooibos doesn't grow in the UK;

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/tick-tock-organic-rooibos-redbush-tea-40-teabags/85321/?ladid=uk

The rooibos which has been left to dry after harvesting;

This is then ground up;

The commercial tea brands, as far as I have ever found if you look on the ingredients list are only ever 100% rooibos needles.

I prefer the loose leaf though; that way you aren't drinking a brew of the tea bag also.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 4:43:05 AM

Blessed Love, give thankhs for clarifying Iyah! Havent seen it before! What health benefits does the I like to use it for?
I agree for sure about the tea bags.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 6/27/2016 3:22:06 PM

Yes I sista. Rooisbos tea is not realy from de tea plant but a differerent herb like brother Joe has explained. Rooibos has no caffeine. De cormecial one is ital still, beside de fact dat now its mostly found in tea bags. However a tea bag is not a problem since all yu have to do as ital man is to open de teabag & remove de leaves to boil or use dem without de teabag. Infact dats what I do when use it. Nutrition wise: It is said to be rich in antioxidants & minerals. Its medicinal benefits include reducing de risks of heart & skin related diseases. Its regular use is said to help keep strong bones & teeth, healthy hair & skin. Using it to wash you head help to keep free from dandruff problem. Velvet bean is not coffea but a wild plant with hairy pods which are very itchy to de skin touch. De pods inside got black beans which can be roasted then crushed & used as a drink. De drink from dis bean looks like coffea, but when yu drink it de taste is between coacoa & coffea. Its more nutritional than coffea, since its a true bean its rich in proteins. Medicinaly, it can be used fo epilepsy, impotence &other healthy problems. Give thanks to bro Joe fo de pics of rooibos.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 11:41:30 PM

Blessed Love Black Heart, I give thankhs for the traditional knowledge the I bring forward! I was going to add the same thing about the tea bags, it is easy enough to rip it and take the tea out.
So the rooibos is said to keep strong teeth, does that make it good to use as a "toothpaste" or a liquid version?
Really nice to learn about the velvet bean! It sounds delicious, cocao plus coffee. And it helps treat epilepsy? Sounds like a powerful plant. Would love to taste it! So can the beans be eaten also as a food, or is it better to only use it like a coffee bean and make a drink from it? Also, does the drink have a stimulant effect like the caffeine in coffee?
Give thankhs for the Iducation
More Love

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 6/28/2016 2:50:30 AM

Bless sista. Yu can use rooibos as an ital mouth wash. It can help mantain a fresh breath. Concerning de velvet bean: after yu've roasted & crushed it to a fine powder (resembling coffea), yu can either use it as a drink or as an ingredient in baking. Though it looks like coffea after preparation its effects are different from coffea. Energy levels are eleveted through improved blood circulation & through its own colories. De roots of dis plants are also used in ital medicine. Unlike rooibos I would not recomend dis bean to be used everyday but twice a week would be irie. If yu are sick yu can use it everyday till yu get well. Blessed Ital livity. Oneness.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/28/2016 5:18:09 AM

How pleasant it is to see ones using the Map! And using it to effect. De I dem are teaching in here. Give thanks

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/28/2016 6:50:20 AM

Give thankhs I&I!
So how is the velvet bean root used in medicine?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I