Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6503&start_row=1

Questions about Rastafari

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Chan Sent: 5/5/2016 8:08:56 AM

Can you be a rasta if you have tattoos and you got them when you were confused about Christianity and other religions? Ky-Mani Marley has tattoos and he's a rasta.

Also, can I eat chicken, fish, and turkey since it's clean according to the bible?

Also, my hair was dyed for two days but I felt it wasn't natural and dyed it back. It was a bronze afro that I dyed back my natural color. I want to start locks when it grows out. Can I use this hair?

The tattoo thing has really bothered me a lot. I have quite a few. I didn't have any until I met my husband who has lots of them.

I started listening to reggae music a lot recently after Jah revealed to me his name in scripture.

I was vegetarian once before in my life a few years back and I got really skinny. I was on a spiritual path to learn the truth.

I had dreadlocks before when I was younger (only for a year but they had dyed tips).

I believe I am a rasta at heart, but I just had these questions.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Messenger: EVOLUTION Sent: 5/5/2016 9:40:24 AM

Greetings in the name of the most HIGH JAH RASTAFARI SELASSIE I...RAS-PECT...your HEART has FOUND it's HOME...just keep every areas of LIFE PURE+CLEAN...your tatoos and hair was part of your JOURNEY to get where you are now WITH-IN your-SELF...how did your MIND+BODY+SOUL FELT when you were a vegetarian??? that should answer your question about eating flesh...BLESS-INS of GUIDANCE+STRENGTH+WHOLENESS...

SELA...

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/5/2016 10:32:04 AM

To suggest that this tradition is "not Rasta" is reflective of a certain ignorance or rejection of InI history, and is rooted instead out of Western Judeo-Christian conditioning.

The ancient art and traditions of tattoos and scarification has its origins in Afrika/Kush.

More then simply being a fashion statement, as we see in modern generations, the ancients tattooed essentially for cultural, medicinal and spiritual qualities.

As most of us here may already know, Her Majesty Empress Menen had 2 on her hand, maintaining and displaying this ancient tradition often seen among coptic Christians.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/5/2016 12:14:15 PM

Honor and Love Sister

Your past lifestyle is not to define who you are to become. RastafarI is a soul liberation movement. Part of being liberated is to Overstand the way that babylon inflicts her poisons, many times by making the victim think that she has the right to choose and has chosen something "good" or "cool" or "sexy" or so on. You are not to be judged for having been tricked by babylon.

Yes you can be a Rasta if you have tattoos. Many Elders in the movement frown upon it, but as you mentioned some younger generation are fine with it. Personally, I do have tattoos, and I am grateful that I was able to create these great reminders of the things JAH has shown to I&I. However, I would not get more tattoos because I now am aware of the health risks the inks pose when they enter the body.

Your food choices are your own. Although as Garvey I pointed out in Diet as according to scripture reasoning, cuckoo (chicken?) is not considered clean according to Leviticus chapter 11. I also know that chickens eat almost anything including cooked eggs and cooked chicken, seems unclean to I. There are many reasons I can share why I choose to eat Ital, but ultimately whether it is in the bible or not, RastafarI have many varieties of food choices between each individual. One of the main issues with meat eating I feel compelled to share is the fact that highly funded laboratories are creating new hybrid creatures all the time, some of them even human-pig, human-cow, and so on. KFC got into a law suit a few years ago about something similar, because their so-called chickens were genetically altered beyond the point of biologically being a chicken, and they had to stop calling the flesh "chicken". Therefore when eating flesh, or any food for that matter, it is better to have grown the food for oneself, or at the very least to sure about the origins of the seed/egg/embryo and that it did not come from Monsanto or another laboratory.

If your issue with vegetarian eating is that you get too skinny (malnourished), I and many other Italists can give good suggestions for what to eat and how to get all the nourishment one needs.

Hair dye can also be toxic to the body. I am not sure if the dyed hair itself can continue to poison the body, especially if it has grown out already. However, in either case, you are free to make your own decision when it comes to when/how to lock your hair. When Iwomban threw away I&I comb, I think I probably did have some remnants of hair that had been dyed, and faded out. Not sure because it was very long already, and I never made a choice to try to identify or trim which part had been dyed. I can Ipprecilove the fact that you want to be more natural and get free from the hair dyes but no one is going to make you trim that hair that you had already dyed before.

Guidance and Love of the Most I on the I journey

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/5/2016 12:15:34 PM

Yes I Ras Goddess, the Afrikan origins and traditions of tattoo was another thing I thought to mention. Although Rasta do not always follow all Afrikan traditions, ones and ones free to choose their own ways still.
And Fqr

Messenger: Chan Sent: 5/5/2016 1:32:23 PM

Thank you everyone. I found all of the posts to be helpful. I really appreciate it.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/6/2016 12:57:21 AM

Yes sistren Chan, hope to see more of the I in the reasonings. Blessed Love

Messenger: Empress Blogger Sent: 5/19/2016 10:08:20 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Rasta-Way-Life-Rastafari-Livity/dp/1499159714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463667008&sr=1-1&keywords=rasta+way+of+lifeNone of those things matter. I used to perm my hair. I smoke cigarettes. If Jah calls you to be a Rasta, then you already Rastafari. Jah looks at the heart. The things you do and do not do will effect your own inner power. Which is comprised of wisdom, and spiritual cleanliness. If you have tattoos it is best to cover them or remove them, for these are symbols of Satan under Rastafari. Just as I should stop my smoking. So do you want to have the power that being a Rasta can provide? It comes with Responsibility. As a Rasta Satan will always chase you. It never ends. Its part of the awareness, and part of the Journey. Rastafari is a gift, but you also have to chose it...to reap the rewards. I as an Empress am an author. You may want to check out my most recent book called "Jah Rastafari" on amazon.com (extensive information for beginner Rasta.) or "Rasta Way of Life"(my best seller) on amazon.com

Blessed Love. All four corners of the earth.
Glad to hear you are listening to Reggae music. That is our spiritual music. It brings Rasta to spiritual Heights.
Rastafari.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/19/2016 12:02:28 PM

Greetings Empress Blogger,

I humbly and respectfully disagree with a few statements:

"If you have tattoos it is best to cover them or remove them, for these are symbols of Satan under Rastafari."

--------------------

???

If that were so, how does one then justify Her Imperial Majesty Empress Menen's traditional Ethiopian tattoos? And many of our Aboriginal Idren from First World Nations? Symbols of Satan...according to who?

-------------------

"As a Rasta Satan will always chase you. It never ends. Its part of the awareness, and part of the Journey"

-------------------

RASTA is conscious and aware of the duality in ALL LIFE (yin/yang), however I would not define our divine trod as "never ending chase by Satan"

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 5/20/2016 6:12:22 AM

Raspect to all. Rasta is ancient livity so Rasta is natural man. Tatooing is against Rasta teachings of Ital livity. Just keep yo self as natural as yu can sista u go feel yo Rasta irits uplifted. Don't put no more tatoes & dyes on yo body. Rmember, I & I bodies is de temple of God so try by all means to keep it whole & holy. As fo Empres Menen, she was not on de Rasta trod so it is misleading to use her as an example on Rasta livity. Rmember Rasta is not about belief but is a livity (way of life). It is an Iritical call & jurney connected to enlightenment through Ital ivity under de foundation of Black Idemtion & righteousness. Otherwise keep de fire burning brothers & sistas. It is a hard road to travel & a mighty long way to trod. Keep on troding. I & I haffe win de amagedion. Oneness

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I