Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6501&start_row=1

Biblical Ethiopia as Cush or the Entire continent ?

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 5/4/2016 7:11:19 AM

Blessed Love
It is obvious that in many parts of the Bible Ethiopia is refferring to Cush/Abyssinia specifically, but knowing in Jacobean/Shakespearean English Ethiop was a term used for any black person, is there any place where Ethiopia/Ethiopian is reffering to African continent or Africans.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/4/2016 7:58:17 AM

Yes I, during a certain period in history, all of Africa, including Asia minor and India, as well as parts of ancient Americas were known as Ethiopia.

In modern geography the name Ethiopia is confined to the country known as Abyssinia, an extensive territory in East Africa. In ancient times Ethiopia extended over vast domains in both Africa and Asia."

“It seems certain,” declares Sir E. A. Wallis Budge, “that classical historians and geographers called the whole region from India to Egypt, both countries inclusive, by the name of Ethiopia, and in consequence they regarded all the dark-skinned and black peoples who inhabited it as Ethiopians. Mention is made of Eastern and Western Ethiopians and it is probable that the Easterners were Asiatics and the Westerners Africans.” (History of Ethiopia, Vol. I., Preface, by Sir E. A. Wallis Budge.)

In addition Budge notes that, “Homer and Herodotus call all the peoples of the Sudan, Egypt, Arabia, Palestine and Western Asia and India Ethiopians.” (Ibid., p. 2.)

Ephorus says that: “The Ethiopians were considered as occupying all the south coasts of both Asia and Africa,” and adds that “this is an ancient opinion of the of the Greeks.” Then we have the view of Stephanus of Byzantium, that: “Ethiopia was the first established country on earth; and the Ethiopians were the first who introduced the worship of the gods, and who established laws.” The vestiges of this early civilization have been found in Nubia, the Egyptian Sudan, West Africa, Egypt, Mashonaland, India, Persia, Mesopotamia, Arabia, South America, Central America, Mexico, and the United States. Any student who doubts this will find ample evidence in such works as The Voice of Africa, by Dr. Leo Froebenius; Prehistoric Nations, and Ancient America, by John D. Baldwin; Rivers of Life, by Major-General J. G. R. Forlong; A Book of the Beginnings by Gerald Massey; Children of the Sun and The Growth of Civilization, by W. J. Perry; The Negro by Professor W.E.B. DuBois; The Anacalypsis, by Sir Godfrey Higgins; Isis Unveiled by Madam H. P. Blavatsky; The Diffusion of Culture, by Sir Grafton Elliot Smith; The Mediterranean Race, by Professor Sergi; The Ruins of Empires, by Count Volney; The Races of Europe, by Professor William Z. Ripley; and last but not least, the brilliant monographs of Mr. Maynard Shipley: New Light on Prehistoric Cultures and Americans of a Million Years Age"

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/4/2016 8:41:01 AM

Also, if di I is interested in more extensive studies, I've posted a link below of a CRUCIAL book called "Wonderful Ethiopians of the Ancient Cushite Empire" by Drusilla Dunjee Houston published in 1926. The book examines the history of the Cushite civilization of Africa and beyond.

I believe this site gives you the entire book online.

Preface--The Origin of Civilization.

Chapters:

The Ancient Cushite Empire.

Old Ethiopia, Its People.

Ancient Ethiopia, the Land.

The Amazing Civilization of Ethiopia.

Prehistoric Egypt, the Land of Wonders.

Egypt and Her "Golden Age."

Egypt and Her Mighty Pharaohs.

Arabia and Her Ancient Races

The Marvelous Arabian Civilization.

The Rich Arabian Literature.

The Strange Races of Ancient Chaldea.

Babylonia, the Land of Marvels.

The Civilization of Babylonia

Ancient India, Land of Mystery.

The Civilization of India.

Hindu Religion and Literature.

Ancient Media and Persia Were Cushite.

Wonderful Ethiopians of the Ancient Cushite Empire

1 LOVE

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 5/4/2016 9:08:37 PM

Blessed Love worthy Goddess, give thanks for the response and the list of links,Through Marcus Garvey said our spare time should be spent in reading I will check out these sources for more insight.

I am aware that Ethiopia had an extensive empire that covered the whole continent of Africa and beyond, hence even when we look at ancient maps it is clear to that the land mass is labelled Ethiopia and the Atlantic ocean as the Ethiopian Sea. My question is reffering to the bible specifically, does the bible ever connote this 'expanded' Ethiopia. For instance Amos 9:7 may be very much so referencing Ethiopians as generic continental africans. I was wondering if anyone had come accross any others. In opposition some scriptures refer speciffically to Abyssinia/Cush like in Genesis

Peace and love that Rastafari bring,
Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I Jah Rastafari

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/5/2016 11:17:20 AM

Blessed Love Idren,

I am by no means a biblical scholar, but am well aware of the roots of the bible, and the subsequent European mistranslations and manipulations of language, words, history, timelines and geographical locations, so rampant in western bibles.

Their whole agenda, as InI know very well, was to eradicate the Afrikan genesis of humanity and civilizations, therefore one must know how to decipher their many biblical tricky ways to disguise Afrika as...well...anything but African!

Some things, however, they slipped through, especially in the older versions, such as the "Garden of Eden" being in Ethiopia (Cush/Afrika) In later versions, with the wicked twist of the pen (or forked tongue) this gets changed to "Mesopotamia" and other such vague references.

"Ethiopia is mentioned over fifty times, and there are more than one thousand references to Hamitic cities, countries, or people in Scripture. Historically and biblically speaking, Africa has been referred to as the Land of Ham.

Ethiopia is known in the Bible as Cush. Egypt is known as Mizraim. Mizraim and Cush are two sons of Ham. Mizraim is translated--Egypt and Cush Ethiopia"

Some accounts state Egyptian civilization came out of Ethiopia, which as a term was used to designate the land south of Egypt (the Upper Nile Valley), or alternatively used to refer to the entire African continent.

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I