Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6464&start_row=21

BELGIUM AND HER COLONIAL DEMONS

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 30
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/29/2016 6:04:42 PM

Yes bredren, I do remember! Man, you just took me wayyyyy back! Growing up speaking French, sadly, The Adventures of Tintin was read by all of us. Glad you brought this up! I've posted some info and pictures below for those who aren't familiar.

The Racist Tintin Book That’s Massively Popular In The Congo

“If you do not understand white supremacy (racism)—what it is and how it works—everything else you know will only confuse you.” —Neely Fuller Jr.

Printed in 1931, Tintin in the Congo by Herge is today more famous for its racism than its whimsical adventures. The book’s black characters are drawn as thick-lipped savages who worship the white Belgian boy Tintin. In 2012, a case for banning it was heard in the Belgian courts (who ultimately ruled in Herge’s favor). Today, many shops will only sell it with a stark warning attached.

Yet in the Democratic Republic of Congo, no such qualms exist. Far from being insulted by the book’s content, many Congolese have embraced it, seeing it as a source of national pride.

In 1931, Belgian cartoonist Herge published a book that would start a legend. Featuring young reporter Tintin and his dog Snowy, Tintin in the Congo became an instant classic, beloved by millions. Unfortunately, it’s depiction of race was unenlightened, to say the least. Congolese are shown as having big fat lips and expression of child-like wonder. They call Tintin “mastah.” They say things like “white man very good!” and bow before him.

Unsurprisingly, this doesn’t sit well with modern readers. In 2007, Bienvenu Mbutu Mondondo launched a lawsuit to withdraw the book from Belgian shelves, calling it tantamount to hate speech. Other countries banned it, and thousands of articles were written about Tintin’s racist attitude toward the Congolese.

Yet there’s one country where the book’s popularity refused to diminish: DR Congo.

Messenger: ConsciousRas Sent: 3/29/2016 9:08:55 PM

funny enough i used to watch it as a child with my father, we never rrally knew what they were saying coz as a child i was just innocent to the cruel world. growing up and realizing how offensive that comic was, i hold no grudge coz i was injected with that nonesense as i child. Im more angry at myself for ever being a fan of it. luckily i watched it for just a short period of my life and never again did i see it until the newly released adventures of tintin which is abit more acceptable as there adventure is in white europe.
Belgium, fire burn that name and its history.
Big up for always keeping it real brothers and sisters. Always a delight reading your post RastaGoddess.

Iman used to watch other cartoons as well when i was a child like donald duck and mickey mouse and i came to see the gruesome image potrayed of black man and woman. It sickens me though te comedy it contained was good but did not deserver to be utilised in that manner.

Bless

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/29/2016 9:30:45 PM

Yes I! RAspect unto di I ConsciousRas!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/30/2016 11:40:35 AM

Thanks for the research sistren! Yes these things are directed at the minds of children (I too used to be exposed) who R unaware to the going ons. Hitting the subconcience from the earliest of ages that Africans are subhuman, animalistic, simple creatures to be ruled by the whiteman. According to tintin

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/30/2016 11:42:40 AM

Racism in donald duck? lol really?

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/30/2016 12:22:04 PM

InI love the rhythm in our reasonings. A kind of ol' time "call and response"...a oneness that InI give thankhs for.

Some of the Most Racist Looney Tunes Cartoons of All Time

Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (1943)

This tale, based on the story of Snow White, begins with a mammy telling the story to a child she’s caring for. The overexaggerated characters aren’t the only racial concerns here. So White, the main character, is a dumb girl who can’t tell what love is. Prince Chawmin has two dice as teeth. It goes on and on.

Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears (1944)

Another story based on a popular fairytale, Goldilocks and the Jivin Bears get out of danger by jitterbugging until the wolf just can’t take it anymore.

The Isle of Pingo Pongo (1938)

The Isle of Pingo Pongo takes a tourist/traveler approach to the cartoon. They find the island, see all of its unique animals and they find the Black “savages” who take part in various stereotypical activities. Don’t forget the anxious white traveler who can’t wait to use his gun.

Sunday Go to Meetin’ Time (1936)

After seeing an array of stereotypical Black characters, Nicodemus skips out on church to steal chickens. He fails and gets knocked out. He sees the devil who has a list of racist accusations for him. When he wakes up, he races back to church.

Jungle Jitters (1938)

A salesman approaches an African village where the “savages” capture him for a meal. The salesman is then saved from the “savages” by the white queen who wants to marry him.

Uncle Tom’s Bungalow (1937)

The two little girls, Eva, who is white, and Topsy, who is Black, act as equals. They are always together. It’s just about everything else that brings race into question. They save Uncle Tom from being whipped by a slave trader by purchasing him. When the girls get in trouble for missing their payments, a caretaker, Eliza, saves them by running away with them. When the trader and his hounds catch them, Uncle Tom saves the day because he got rich playing craps.

All This and Rabbit Stew (1941)

In this cartoon, Bugs Bunny is one of the main characters. This cartoon was bad enough that the entire film was withheld from syndication instead of just having the offensive parts cut out. All This and Rabbit Stew is similar to the Elmer Fudd skits, but instead, the Black hunter’s tragic flaw is his obsession with playing craps. He loses and is humiliated by Bugs Bunny in the end.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/30/2016 12:31:17 PM

While we are on the subject of cartoons and it's affects on the minds and self esteem of our children, I'll repost a thread, offering some Afrikan centered images and stories that are more culturally empowering:

For Di Youth

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/1/2016 6:45:23 AM

That queen being offered the poison apple. Wasnt she the original betty boop? Baby esther jones? Even in their racism they pree the black woman. Yes reasoning gone way up...... Didnt realise so many a dem cartoon and things aimed at children

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 4/1/2016 9:23:35 AM

These cartoons aimed at children is nothing less than mental slavery..

Like the Prophet said: We are going to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery because whilst others might free the body, none but ourselves can free the mind. Mind is your only ruler, sovereign. The man who is not able to develop and use his mind is bound to be the slave of the other man who uses his mind ..

Marcus I Selassie I JAH Ras Tafari!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/1/2016 10:31:06 AM

Yes, Betty Boop was modeled after Esther Jones!

Wicked babylon understands that much of what we know as adults is learned in the early years of development.

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man"...That was the Jesuit motto.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 30

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I