Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6358&start_row=1

A Different View of Adam and Eve

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/4/2016 5:48:13 PM

A Different View of Adam and Eve

William Blake, the Gnostic poet of the early nineteenth century, wrote of the differences between his view and the mainstream view of holy writ: 'Both read the Bible day and night; but you read black where I read white." The same words could have been uttered by Gnostic Christians and their orthodox opponents in the first three or four centuries A.D.

The orthodox view then regarded most of the Bible, particularly Genesis, as history with a moral. Adam and Eve were considered to be historical figures, the literal ancestors of our species. From the story of their transgression, orthodox teachers deduced specific moral consequences, chiefly the "fall" of the human race due to original sin. Another consequence was the lowly and morally ambivalent status of women, who were regarded as Eve's co-conspirators in the fateful deed of disobedience in paradise. Tertullian, a sworn enemy of the Gnostics, wrote to the female members of the Christian community thusly:

. . . you are the devil's gateway. . . you are she who persuaded him whom the devil did not dare attack. . . . Do you not know that you are each an Eve? The sentence of God on your sex lives on in this age; the guilt, necessarily, lives on too.

The Gnostic Christians who authored the Nag Hammadi scriptures did not read Genesis as history with a moral, but as a MYTH WITH A MEANING. To them, Adam and Eve WERE NOT ACTUAL HISTORICAL FIGURES, but representatives of two intrapsychic principles within every human being. Adam was the dramatic embodiment of psyche, or soul, while Eve stood for the pneuma, or spirit. Soul, to the Gnostics, meant the embodiment of the emotional and thinking functions of the personality, while spirit represented the human capacity for spiritual consciousness. The former was the lesser self (the ego of depth psychology), the latter the transcendental function, or the "higher self," as it is sometimes known. Obviously, Eve, then, is by nature superior to Adam, rather than his inferior as implied by orthodoxy.

Nowhere is Eve's superiority and numinous power more evident than in her role as Adam's awakener. Adam is in a deep sleep, from which Eve's liberating call arouses him. While the orthodox version has Eve physically emerge from Adam's body, the Gnostic rendering has the spiritual principle known as Eve emerging from the unconscious depths of the somnolent Adam. Before she thus emerges into liberating consciousness, Eve calls forth to the sleeping Adam in the following manner, as stated by the Gnostic Apocryphon of John:

I entered into the midst of the dungeon which is the prison of the body. And I spoke thus: "He who hears, let him arise from the deep sleep." And then he (Adam) wept and shed tears. After he wiped away his bitter tears he spoke, asking: "Who is it that calls my name, and whence has this hope come unto me, while I am in the chains of this prison?" And I spoke thus: "I am the Pronoia of the pure light; I am the thought of the undefiled spirit. . . . Arise and remember . . . and follow your root, which is I . . . and beware of the deep sleep."

In another scripture from the same collection, entitled On the Origin of the World, we find further amplification of this theme. Here Eve whose mystical name is Zoe, meaning life, is shown as the daughter and messenger of the Divine Sophia, the feminine hypostasis of the supreme Godhead:

Sophia sent Zoe, her daughter, who is called "Eve," as an instructor in order that she might raise up Adam, in whom there is no spiritual soul so that those whom he could beget might also become vessels of light. When Eve saw her companion, who was so much like her, in his cast down condition she pitied him, and she exclaimed: "Adam, live! Rise up upon the earth!" Immediately her words produced a result for when Adam rose up, right away he opened his eyes. When he saw her, he said: "You will be called 'mother of the living', because you are the one who gave me life."

In the same scripture, the creator and his companions whisper to each other while Adam sleeps: "Let us teach him in his sleep as though she (Eve) came to be from his rib so that the woman will serve and he will be lord over her." The demeaning tale of Adam's rib is thus revealed as a propagandistic device intended to advance an attitude of male superiority. It goes without saying that such an attitude would have been more difficult among the Gnostics, who held that man was indebted to woman for bringing him to life and to consciousness.
The Western theologian Paul Tillich interpreted this scripture as the Gnostics did, declaring that "the Fall" was a symbol for the human situation, not a story of an event that happened "once upon a time." Tillich said that the Fall represented "a fall from the state of dreaming innocence" in psychological terms, an awakening from potentiality to actuality. Tillich's view was that this "fall" was necessary to the development of humankind.

The Serpent of Wisdom

The sin of Eve, so the orthodox tell us, was that she listened to the serpent, who persuaded her that the fruit of the tree would make her and Adam wise, without any deleterious side-effects. It was Eve who then seduced the righteously reluctant Adam to join her in this act of disobedience, and thus together they brought about the fall of humanity.

A Gnostic treatise, The Testimony of Truth, tells a different story. While repeating the words of the orthodox version of Genesis, the Gnostic source states that "the serpent was wiser than all the animals that were in Paradise." After extolling the wisdom of the serpent, the treatise casts serious aspersions on the creator: "What sort is he then, this God?" Then come some of the answers to the rhetorical question. The motive of the creator in punishing Adam was envy, for the creator envied Adam, who by eating the fruit would acquire knowledge (gnosis). Neither did the creator seem quite omniscient when he asked of Adam: "Where are you?" The creator has shown himself repeatedly to be "an envious slanderer," a jealous God, who inflicts cruel punishments on those who transgress his capricious orders and commandments. The treatise comments: "But these are the things he said (and did) to those who believe in him and serve him." The implication clearly presents itself that with a God like this, one needs no enemies.

Another treatise, The Hypostasis of the Archons, informs us that not only was Eve the emissary of the divine Sophia, but the serpent was similarly inspired by the same supernal wisdom. Sophia mystically entered the serpent, who thereby acquired the title of instructor. The instructor then taught Adam and Eve about their source, informing them that they were of high and holy origin and not mere slaves of the creator deity.

What, one may ask, motivated the Gnostic interpreters of Genesis to make these unusual statements? Were they purely motivated by bitter criticism directed against the God of Israel, as the Church Fathers would have us believe? Many contemporary scholars do not think so. These contemporary scholars suggest that the unfavorable image of the creator contrasted with the favorable one of Adam, Eve, and even of the serpent alludes to an important issue not frequently recognized.
The orthodox interpreters, both Jewish and Christian, tend to emphasize the distinction between the infinite creator and his finite creatures. Humans and animals are on earth, while God is in heaven, and never the two will meet. The orthodox have held, with Martin Buber, that the human's relationship to God is always "I and Thou." In the Gnostic position one can discern a keynote that is reminiscent of the attitude of certain other religions, notably Hinduism, which rather declares: "I am Thou."

The Gnostics share with the Hindus and with certain Christian mystics the notion that the divine essence is present deep within human nature in addition to being present outside of it. At one time humans were part of the divine, although later, in their manifest condition, they more and more tended to project divinity onto beings external to themselves. Alienation from God brings an increase in the worship of deities wholly external to the human. The Gospel of Philip, another scripture from Nag Hammadi, expresses it well:

In the beginning God created humans. Now, however, humans are creating God. Such is the way of this world-humans invent gods and worship their creations. It would be better for such gods to worship humans.

The Genesis Factor

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/5/2016 10:04:47 AM

I knew that snake was righteous!! Good read. Orthodox are literalist fundamentalists, interesting. But InI know the first Orthodox Church was Syriac, not the Coptic or Ethiopian, not coming from a place with people long used to creating and using stories with meanings that didn't have to be literally or historically true. So I see why they would be more fundamental with their European mindset toward esoteric scripture (or jus plain misinterpretation)

Gnostics don't get off so easy though. Is no good saying you know the bible isn't a book of history and it has stories with meanings........ If you still end up buck up on the wrong meaning!!l. And they still believe 'every' lesson in the bible is righteous, exact, and of God.

Adam and Eve never exist
The snake is the real 'God' of the story
Nothing from any God says that woman created evil or came from man

Blessed love
And good visuals!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/5/2016 11:22:58 AM

Yes bredren, seem like the metaphorical and symbolic serpent IS the true "hero" (Heru) of the story! I found this article interesting:

"Just as Adam and Eve are regarded as central characters in the Christian creation myth, they are equally as important in that of the Gnostics. As mentioned in previous articles, the creation of the world according to Gnostic tradition is an account of the world created not by the True God, but by a false god. As Adam and Eve were created and placed in the Garden of Eden in Genesis, the same has been done in Gnostic scripture.

However, the demiurge is responsible for the placement of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The demiurge has created the fleshly bodies to entrap the spirits of Adam and Eve. Adam is placed under a spell of ignorance and put to sleep by the false god. Eve is placed next to him, and she commands Adam to awaken. When Adam sees Eve, he believes that she is his creator. 

The demiurge wanted to keep Adam and Eve ignorant; forever worshipping him. The Gnostics believe that the demiurge was posing as the false god, thus keeping Adam and Eve under his spell of ignorance. As long as Adam and Eve believed that he was the only god, they would worship him forever.

The serpent is regarded as an evil figure in traditional Christian stories, but to the Gnostics, the serpent is the hero! The Gnostic text teaches that as the demiurge tells Adam and Eve that they may help themselves to anything the Garden, they are to stay away from the Tree of Knowledge. As Adam and Eve listen to the serpent, their eyes are opened, and the spell of ignorance is broken forever. Because they chose to listen to the serpent, Adam and Eve no longer worship the demiurge, but recognize that there is the True God, and he was not the creator of the evil, imperfect, material world."

Ironically, according to this Gnostic thought, it is the serpent who in fact exposes the false god, the "matrix" of babylon.

No wonder they demonized it! As they did the Woman!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/5/2016 12:32:54 PM

Rasta and Christian call I crazy for Ites up the snake. Loll

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/5/2016 1:17:17 PM

It was only a few Gnostic groups referred to as the Ophites that regarded the snake as a hero. Their name comes from the greek word for snake.

The story can be interpreted in different ways, I know the I them are against almost anything Christian, so the I them prefer the opposite interpretation, but there is useful knowledge gained with other interpretations.

I sight that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was there as a choice, but they were warned not to eat of the fruit or they will surely die because they were not yet ready for that knowledge. Their behaviour after eating it shows that they were not yet ready.

Many people say it was a false warning because they didn't surely die, but the way I interpreted the story, Cain killing Abel (and the continuation of murder between humans) was what was meant by you shall surely die.

Here is a Reasoning I made before about it.

----------------
Genesis to Revelation

I think Revelation is the natural destination of a divided society, a society that doesn't see everything as One life.

In the beginning when Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they saw their nakedness and covered theirself with leaves. Jah, after seeing what they have chosen. Gave them their desire and gave them coats of skin to cover themselves.

I interpret this as Adam and Eve bringing this concept of separation and division into their minds. Before this they only saw One, so they were One flesh, One life.

Genesis 2
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

So I see the placing of the leaves as a representation of them putting up a "wall" between them, because they saw theirself as separate. So when Jah saw that this was what they desired, he granted them their wish and put the full clothing over them, which created a larger "wall", and an even furthur separation.

The reason why Jah told them that they would surely die if they ate of the fruit is because Jah knew that when the generations of Adam and Eve no longer saw eachother as One, they would kill eachother.

This mind concept of separation led to Cain killing Abel:

Genesis 4
8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

The question Cain asked "Am I my brother's keeper?" represents the kind of separation that came into the minds of men. If Cain realized that they were One, he would have known that when he keeps his brother, he is keeping his self. But he didn't see his brother's life as his own, so he killed him.

In a world like this, things must come to an end. Because as time passes, people become more separate from eachother, and care less and less for the people in the world, even their family and friends.

So as we can see in the world, this leads to greed, where people try their hardest to take from others, and exploit others, so that they can gain their selfish desires. And the more time has passed, the worse man and woman has become. And the only way for someone to have more than their share, is to take from others. So the rich can't exist without the poor, because otherwise, who will do the work to make them so rich. They can't do all that work by themselves.

In a world like this, conflict will surely arise, and the power struggle will become more fierce. And it is not only the rich with this wicked mentality, but it is also much of the poor. The only difference is their positions. Many of the poor would do the same as the rich, if they figured out a way to be on top. Many accept that this is the way of the world, and they think that is what we must strive to be.

So if one goes up, another goes down, another goes up, so another goes down. As one learns a more wicked technique to rise, the other learns his technique and then makes it stronger so that he can rise higher. So they become more and more wicked, to out-wicked the other. Look at the armies of the world, and what evil they have created.

So Revelation shows the only destination of this kind of society. A house divided against itself will fall.
----------------

Messenger: royal dawta Sent: 1/5/2016 3:22:56 PM

BLESSED LOVE (I thought I'd copy and share this here wita I and I)

These stories sought to clarify certain spiritual and unseen
truths of life, and not to recount actual events of fact.
The story of Adam and Eve - like that of Cain and Abel - is both
allegoric and prophetic, and seeks to explain certain fundamental truths
of creation, to the first children of man. Accordingly, the "Garden of
Eden" symbolizes the womb of creation ... the spiritual birthplace and
unseen beginning of the seed of man. The figures of Adam and Eve, are
used to symbolize and explain the inherent duality existing in all of
Life, and more particularly, as reflected in the creature that is man.
The two, symbolize the physical aspect of being, and the spiritual
aspect of being - which, in man, may be understood as the body and the
soul. Man -as the highest form in which Life is manifest - is a two-fold
creation. Man is not merely the physical and seen body he presents;
neither is he motivated solely by his physical being and environment.
Whereas the beast of the field is governed only by his physical needs
and environs, man is created with an added - though unseen - dimension
to his being.
Man possesses a soul; that is, he possesses the unseen garment of
wisdom, knowledge and understanding. This is the truth of man, this is
his dignity and this is his soul - that which makes him higher than the
beast. And as a consequence, man also possesses an awareness of justice
and right, which covers the nakedness of his purely physical self and
its desires, and so lends dignity to the creation which is man. Thus,
man, is more than the seen physical entity - he is also the unseen,
which is wisdom, knowledge and understanding - and therefore he is also
a spiritual entity.
To the extent therefore, that man is both physical and spiritual in his
whole make-up, the man who is without the spiritual garment which
clothes and dignifies the physical self, may be said to be revealed in
his nakedness. For his baser self is uncovered, and he is without that
which makes him an acceptable social being. For without knowledge and
understanding, man has no recourse to the higher and governing
principles of truth and integrity, and in his social conduct, he
descends to the level of the beast, and the law of the jungle becomes
his code of conduct ... the survival of the fiercest. He is without
conscience; he is naked, and his nakedness reveals his potential to
evil.
The story of Adam and Eve is used to elucidate this truth. Consequently,
Eve is used to symbolize the purely physical aspect of man; Adam
symbolizes the unseen which is wisdom, knowledge and understanding.
Thus, Adam receiving the fruit, is symbolic of the man who is devoid of
knowledge and without understanding, and who is therefore governed and
controlled by Eve ... his purely physical and personal desire. In this
context, the story of Adam and Eve symbolizes the man of pure flesh -
the beast - the man who is devoid of morals, and without principle, and
who therefore responds to his own wants and desires, unmindful of the
rights of others.
Consequently, it may be said, that Adam and Eve represent the seed of
the people of evil. It must be remembered that the Garden of Eden
represents the womb of creation as it were; so that Adam and Eve
symbolize the seed of a people, who were known from within the womb of
Life, as a people of evil. A people naked from their beginning, devoid
of knowledge and without understanding; a people without a spiritual
awareness, and therefore a people motivated purely by their own physical
and personal desires. A people made like unto the beast ... a people of
evil.
However, like all the Ancient Books of the Prophecy, the story of Adam
and Eve reveals more than one truth. On one level it explains the two-
fold nature of the being that is man, and explains the creation of the
people of evil. On another level however, the story seeks to elucidate,
for the first children of man, the essential nature of man and woman -
such that the two are an indivisible whole and together make up the
being, which is known as "man". Man and woman together, represent one
whole unit of life. As Life, in its fullest sense, is both spiritual and
physical - so, man, as a reflection of whole life, is also two-fold
creation. So that the being that is called "man" - is in fact, the man
and the woman together. The woman represents physical and seen life,
whereas the man represents the spiritual, which clothes and dignifies.
One, without the other, is therefore as incomplete as is the body
without the soul. And hence, the truth of the ancient rejoinder: what
God has joined, let no man put asunder. This is a reference to the
spiritual and unseen bond, which makes of two apparently separate
beings, one flesh, and one being. As the body and the soul constitute
the whole being, which is the individual "man". The ancient rejoinder,
like the Adam and Eve story, sought to make it clear, to the first
children of man, that the man and the woman together as one unit, are as
inseparable as are the body and the soul, because this is precisely what
the union is designed to manifest and symbolize. The first children of
man were taught to understand that the spiritual truths in life, which
exist unseen, may be clearly understood from that which is seen.
In other words, physical life, and the pattern it takes, is not an
arbitrary arrangement, but reflects the greater and unseen spiritual
principles and truth, which are the core and basis of Life from the
beginning, and from before creation was born. With the birth of Cain, the Adam and Eve story goes further to explain
how evil and death actually enter into life, and its consequences upon
man in earth. When Eve, in the Garden of Eden - the womb and spiritual
birth place of all life - obeys the voice of the flesh, she symbolized
that body of mankind who would follow the voice of evil, and not the
voice of God. Thus, before Cain- who symbolizes the people of evil -
comes into being, the seed from which he would spring (Adam and Eve), is
expelled from the presence of God, before it is fully formed. Whereas
the complete man is both physical and spiritual, the man that is not
fully formed is purely physical and without the endowment of the
spiritual gift, which is the knowledge of God. So when the seed bearing
Cain was expelled from the womb of life, it came into being like a
premature foetus - incomplete without colour and having only one part to its being,
that of physical awareness alone ......

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/5/2016 3:31:49 PM

Bless up Ark I

This example shows how the Bible can be interpreted in any which way you see fit. Whether one chooses to Ites up the snake or sight that nobody died ached eating the fruit or sight any other interpretation I acknowledge its is based off a preconception already present in the I dem, as the text itself is like a open book. As an intelligent I, de I could put many of the bible stories in any which twisted or righteous way. So where is the basis of ones preconceptions? Rastafari

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 1/5/2016 3:47:00 PM

According to older texts Enlil was the slave master who kept Adam and Eve in this garden and Enki the serpent was indeed the one who gave them freedom through knowledge.

If they were one with life than they were also one with nature and God therefore one with the tree and with the snake...But when God tells them what to do and wich tree to eat or not eat from,I see a seperation here already between them,Nature,Life and this God.

If ones read through the Whole bible And look at all the things the biblical God is said to have done and compare it to what the snake did,it seems the snake is indeed the hero and this God the real enemy.

Peace.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/5/2016 6:23:18 PM

Give thanks Royal Dawta! Nice esoteric perspective!!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/5/2016 8:13:05 PM

FROM THE ETHIOPIAN STORY OF CONFLICT BETWEEN MERU AND HIS BROTHER AB-BA-RU ("CAIN & ABEL")

A-ba-ru would have meant the intelligence fed to the soul by the son of Ra, the son of Pure and Perfect Mind, the son of God. Ab-a-ru would have meant the conscience and heart of the intelligent son of Ra, or his moral awareness and his center of thought, which could leave his body at will and live with Ra after his death. A-ba-ru or Ab-a-ru is also known as Abel, the son of Adam, the son of Man, and also Horus, Heru the Younger.

MERU AND AB-BA-RU

On the other hand, this very same Meru, who both Kemetic studies and Biblical studies have made the murderer of his brother, is one of the most legendary figures in all ancient African history ("Wonderful Ethiopians of The Ancient Cushite Empire," Drusilla Dunjee Houston, pages 29 and 102). Even though the Egyptians identified him as the murderous Set, he was also known to many as Meru-el, or Merul, from Ta-neter, the Most High order of ancient African spiritualist. There should be little wonder why a natural born African like brother Adin Kachisi of Zimbabwe, the home of another important African civilization influenced by the legacy of Meru, would sense something g about Kemet as being alien. We can only wonder if the Semitic (or Indo-European) Egyptians ever knew that their story of Set and the story of Meru-el (or Merul) were stories of the same man.

He was such a legendary figure that, after more than 7,000 years have passed since he walked on earth, his name is still echoed throughout northeast Africa and India . Thus today we have the legend of Mount Meru in India, the kingdom of the chief Hindu god, Indra, in Meru, a savannah in Kenya (a Ka of the Garden of Eden) called Meru, a volcano in Tanzania known as Mount Meru, a Meru people in Kenya known as the A-meru, a Meru people in Tanzania, etc.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BeliefsAndReligion/conversations/topics/3203

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I