Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6290&start_row=1

Afrikan spirituality-Spirit possession.and cloths

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 11/21/2015 2:40:38 PM

Greetings Rastafari

What do the I dem think of cloths worn by spirit mediums in Afrikan culture?

Wats the connection between cloths and higher state of awakening?ca there are certain types of cloths worn when one.is possessed by an.ancestor mostly black.cloths.

I sight many mediums have many different type of cloths worn for various purposes...some worn when a certain ancestor not of direct lineage has possessed you especially to heal or to hunt and we call it a SHAVI spirit in Karanga.

When one.got a SHAVI to hunt,they can.chase a rabbit and catch.it with bare hands.

Also wats yr thoughts on.spirit possession by ancestors?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/21/2015 3:24:14 PM

From I own upbringin I was taught fear such things and it to be devilish.
Spirit medium/Voodoo men were a kinda a secret thing. Exact rituals and thing were not universally known mongst I but lots off people knew of certain things, I own grandma use to try tell I some thing but i was real young.

Spirit possession I see no problems with it, even amongst I in church goin people get the spirit, many of I elders used to talk about talking with the spirit of dem ancestors

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 11/21/2015 3:35:21 PM

Yes I Afrikan spirituality is our essence of being and one cant run away from it.

Ancestral spirits nuh care if yu Christian,if they choose you it no matter you go to church.I grandmumas frm the martenal side where mediums yet later on wud go to Methodist church

Some one then said to me usually they wud go a church in their last days so that they will have people to bury dem when dem pass flesh since most nah deal with Afrikan spirituality any more

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 11/21/2015 3:38:46 PM

LOL....On spirit possession I heard it no matter you are Ital Rastaman lol..if the ancestor dat possess the I was a meat eater,he may ask for it as him.meal thru yu ....lol

and after the spirit is gone yu wont remember nothing

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/21/2015 5:40:42 PM

Cloth meant so much more to InI than to cover our bodies out of religiouly imposed shame or simply about vanity or fashion. Each symbol, color, and even the shape of the cloth had specific meaning. We depicted the constillations, science, art, beauty and nature/neter. It could symbolize your lineage , status, creativity and allegiance to tribal roots. Mourning cloth would be worn at funerals to help the person transition to the land of ancestors.

As far as specific cloth used in ritual, I'm sure it is as diversified as Afrika herself, but in I overstanding and experience, InI would use white chalk on our bodies, sometimes ash, and traditionally ini would dress in white cloth.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 11/21/2015 8:07:25 PM

ive just read about the phenomenon of deja vus and ear tones which happen to some people on very important days. before or after something important i ntheir lives has happened, they hear special ear tones or experience deja vus.

is there a known spiritual background to this cricumstances?

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I