Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6276&start_row=1

Haile Selassie I's quote: "Don't worship me, I am not a God..."

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Indi7 Sent: 11/17/2015 3:25:40 PM

Greetings Idrens!

THe quote said: "Do not worship me, I am not God. I'm only a man. I worship Jesus Christ."

source: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/haile_selassie.html#T4wkxj2j9PGZQozD.99

Is this really his quote or was this fabricated?
Rastafarians worship Haile Selassie I as being God the Father. Is that correct? And that's how I was seeing it until now.. but finding this quote put me in question.

Messenger: ras93 Sent: 11/17/2015 3:29:12 PM

No, this is a fabricated quote. He said something like ''it would be a mistake for people to mistake a human being for a deity'' something like that, i'm paraphrasing. I'm sure the bredren and sistren will soon add upon this with the correct quote. Give thanks, Selassie I!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/17/2015 3:40:13 PM

I too thought the "don't worship me" was a quote, and was mistaken. I believe this is the correct one.

Below is a portion of the transcript of the first personal radio interview granted by Emperor Haile Selassie. CBC reporter Bill McNeil conducted the interview with Emperor Haile Selassie while in Canada 1967 aboard the Royal train.

Questioned by Bill McNeil: "there are millions of Christians throughout the world, your Imperial Majesty, who regard you as the reincarnation of Jesus Christ."

Selassie's answer: "I have heard of that idea. I also met certain Rastafarians. I told them clearly that I am a man, that I am mortal, and that I will be replaced by the oncoming generation, and that they should never make a mistake in assuming or pretending that a human being is emanated from a deity."

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/17/2015 3:53:23 PM

Man is not emanated from a diety because man is the diety. Nile valley reasoning. His Majesty clarifies that he is not Jesus Christ for de I dem. Notice he said certain Rastafarians, the ones obsessed with finding the new Jesus

Messenger: Indi7 Sent: 11/17/2015 3:54:51 PM

Maybe Haile Selassie I is not one with Jah/the Father/Elohim but is a servant of Jah who is mentioned in Revelation as the King of Kings or the lamb that opened the seven seals? Maybe it's a mistake to see Rastafari as one with God?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/17/2015 3:56:43 PM

Rastafari see Ras Tafari as I'ah than God

Messenger: Indi7 Sent: 11/17/2015 3:58:14 PM

In the Bible there is not even a mention of the second coming of Christ, except one phrase where Jesus tells his disciples that they will see Him again, but that could have meant many things.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/17/2015 4:18:59 PM

Here is a Reasoning I made in 2003 about that quote from the Canadian interview. It also includes a link to the audio of the interview.

Selassie I is a Man that is One with Jah

In the reasoning, I mention a quote from the book Reggae Routes: The Story of Jamaican Music By Kevin O'Brien.

-----------
Former Senator and Gleaner editor, Hector Wynter, tells of asking him, during his visit to Jamaica in 1966, when he was going to tell Rastafarians he was not God. 'Who am I to disturb their belief?' replied the Emperor.
-----------

Messenger: Indi7 Sent: 11/17/2015 5:03:25 PM

This quote "Do not worship me, I am not God. I'm only a man. I worship Jesus Christ." might be true, and it seems the emperor has denied this in different quotes, or was being neutral at most.

In order to overstand better the divinity of Rastafari, I looked into the bible, Revelation 4 and 5:
------------------------
"I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”
And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”
------------------------

So, here, the one on the throne is Jah and the Lion of Judah or the slained lamb is the King of Kings who is recruiting followers to worship the Creator. We are soldiers of Jah-Rastafari Army!

Peace.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/17/2015 5:19:23 PM

It is also widely said that upon arriving in Jamaica, HIM somewhat shocked and rather vocal about NOT being seen as divine or Divinity.

It is also said that after his return to Ethiopia, he dispatched Archbishop Abouna Yesehaq Mandefro to the Caribbean to help draw Rastas and other West Indians to the Ethiopian Church, and according to some, denied his divinity.

We can sit here and debate, pontificate the divinity of this one and that one until we all are exhausted only to have back at square 1, without a definitive answer that will satisfy us all. This is exactly what has caused so much confusion in Christianity! Those that say "Jesus said this and that", and others who scream "no he didn't, what he was saying was this..." We are doing the same thing within RasTafari Nation.

This is the challenge when we begin to DEIFY man as the ONE TRUE AND LIVING GOD, the "Father". When we assign a superhero status to a MAN. The wrong concept of "GOD" desensitizes a people to their own God-potential by fixing their hope on THE COMING OF A MAGIC MAN WHO WILL CREATE A MIRACULOUS EVENT.

The more we look OUTSIDE of ourselves, or seek HIM/HER in a book, a scripture, a quote, or within the confines of a church, temple, mosque, etc...the DIVINE ONE will continue to elude us.

THE KINGDOM OF JAH IS WITHIN.

"Is it not written in your law, I said, YE ARE GODS?"

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I