Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6258&start_row=1

Guardians of the Gate

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: PurpleBlue Sent: 11/7/2015 4:19:35 PM

I would like to share this interview with Malidoma Some with the InI.
http://www.menweb.org/somegay.htm

Malidoma Some claims that in the Dagara as well as Dogon tribes of West Africa people with attractions to the same sex are integrated into the society and have the roles of gatekeepers and astrologers.

What is the InI reasoning on that?

Note that I do not intend to restart previous reasonings on homosexuality. Here 'homosexuality' is seen a western concept as "the whole notion of 'gay' does not exist in the indigenous world."

Also note that this reasoning is not for those preaching biblical tradition.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/7/2015 5:17:51 PM

There is countless Ethnic groups and cultures in Africa, Dogon isnt the deciding culture of Africa. I dont I dont think any I here has claimed that homosexuality didnt exist in Africa, InI thing is that it wasnt part of the wider accepted culture in most of Africa. Take a look at homosexuality in most majority black countries, when I was growing up in the U.S it wasnt eccepted where i grew up people who were gay would
Move away to big cities where they could live that death style.
If thats part of Dogon culture thats their thing but who's to say that didnt come from outside influence as some like to say about much of Africa's anti-gay stance, and they were colonized by the French so?

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/7/2015 8:11:03 PM

Greetings PurpleBlue,

Interesting topic. A delicate one. Patrice Malidoma Some's book "Of water and the Spirit" is one of my favorite books. I was deeply moved and inspired by it.

That being said, I think one must approach this subject wisely. As in all things, I tend to look at the world from "behind the spectacles of Ethiopia" (Afrikan worldview) and InI know for a fact that:

- AFU-RA-KA (Africa before western or Islamic invaders) never EVER promoted homosexuality as a NORM. As compared to babylon (greeks/romans) who not only promoted it as a norm, but celebrated it as DIVINE. Sex with a woman was simply for procreation but "Agape Love" (highest most divine GOD love) was between 2 males, preferably young boys.

FIYAH BURN DAT!

- Our ancestors were not vague about the Natural Laws and balance between male/female relationships and principles. They left those written in stone for us to remember. All aspects of ini culture and living was recorded on monuments, in medu neter(sacred texts), art and oral tradition. If homosexuality as we know it in the west was a norm, there surely would be something reflecting this. Our ancestors overstood the sacred balance of the Original Holy Trinity: Male + Female = ANKH/LIFE.

As opposed to the western Father/Son/Holy Ghost and their all male heaven. ALL MALE! Certainly not a heaven our ancestors would even imagine, let alone wish for! LOL!

INI celebrate natural life, love and children. It is a divine blessing unto InI.

Messenger: PurpleBlue Sent: 11/14/2015 5:20:17 AM

Accoring to my research Malidoma Some is right about one thing at least. The dichtonomy of "gay"/"straight", "homosexual"/"heterosexual" is a western concept. There was no "sexual orientation" in the ancient world and among indigenous peoples. And attraction towards members of the same sex was not demonized.
Of course "homosexuality as we know it in the west" including marriage and even raising children by two men/women were never promoted either.
I see babylon, the greeks, romans (up to the modern world) obsessed with the masculine and the humiliation of the feminine. The passive and younger partner was actually shamed while the dominant role was hailed there!

----------
people who were gay would Move away to big cities where they could live that death style.
----------
According to the interview the gatekeepers of the Dagara do have families and children.

----------
but who's to say that didnt come from outside influence as some like to say about much of Africa's anti-gay stance, and they were colonized by the French so?
----------
I rather doubt that the French invaders had an impact on the inner dynamics of ritual as it is the case here. Especially not with peoples like the Dogon.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/14/2015 5:38:01 AM

Then why did ancients write moral codes and laws against such behaviors?

This gay agenda thing is real and I hold Dogon no higher than other African knowledge/traditions

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/15/2015 5:21:11 AM

What kinda reasoning and research Malidoma doing? Fire. What interest the man have outside of being a faggot?

African systems in general don't and have never been all accepting of homosexuality. European systems over and over again to this very day, often include the promotion of such on a society level. We not talking about individual cases and exceptions to the rule

That's it.

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I