Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6225&start_row=1

Fiddy

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 10/9/2015 3:07:15 PM

Article

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 10/10/2015 5:45:43 AM

If he means well then Bless Up Fifty!

Give thanks for the food the kids have received th us far!

Big Up Fifty and Akon for the work they doin in Moma Africa!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/14/2015 4:37:13 PM

This is good but this is no other than a business venture on the back of Akons relative success for his BUSINESS venture.

'Every time a bottle of Street King is purchased, a PORTION of the money goes TOWARDS feeding A child who would otherwise not have access to sufficient food in Africa.'

- How many units need to be sold to produce 1 meal? What is a portion? 0.00000001% could be a portion......We don't know.

Still, its nice that he is helping a kid / some kids / any African. But make no mistake, this is largely marketing........ the conscious and pro-Africa thing in itself is a market.

People think Akon suddenly put all his money into lighting up Africa. He obtained a credit line of 1 billion from a Chinese business who had been controversially involved in business exploitation schemes in Ethiopia. This can be researched and verified.

Take THIS article with some sauce but it offers interesting points
http://thecorge.com/2015/06/05/konvict-music-is-right-why-akons-new-scumbag-philanthropy-is-the-worst-thing-for-africa/

Black owned business and real black economics is more than charity while other nations continue to reap the majority of the profits. Oh yeah, social media is a bitch, careful what u read and believe.

Not to discredit AKon and 50 but to offer perspective.

Haile

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/14/2015 11:20:52 PM

The drink sells for $2.50 - $3.00, and 10 cents goes to the charity. 10 cents buys one meal through the World Food Program. That is the retail, I don't know what the manufacturer's price is or how much profit there is after materials, labor, other staff, and cost of machinery operation.

3.5 million meals were donated between September 2011 to January 2012.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/15/2015 2:27:24 PM

Give thanks on the figures.

Careful with the term 'Donated.' To me, to donate is to give without expecting any return, almost like charity., or like when Rasta run up on I in the street. 10 cents a meal for 3.5 million = 350,000 dollars spent toward Africa. The question now is how much extra revenue has the 'Feeding Africa' promo campaign actually brought? If the number is anything over 175,000 extra drinks sold at $2 a pop by claiming to feed Africa..... then the 'donation campaign' suddenly becomes more of profitable marketing strategy than actual donations.
Then theres the World Food Programme. There website actually states 1 meal = 25 cents which cuts the figures mentioned earlier by 3x. ? what the actual rate is. The WFP was set up by the West and the UN at the same time the IMF and FAO were set up (post WW2). Given the history of the other two organisations I can be excused for the skepticism. It is generally better to teach a man how to find and prepare his own food than to buy him a meal (from western sources).

Still, if people are being fed that can't be a bad thing. But I know the difference between charity and when people are making moves for their own pocket.

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 10/16/2015 1:58:13 PM

I can see what the I is saying Garveys Africa, but it's basically semantics. If children are getting fed then children are getting fed.these corporations are always going to put a spin on things. If babylon sees they can increase profits by helping people then let them do it. Hopefully more company's will relise this. I think at this point the motive is irrelevant

Blessed Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/16/2015 5:30:42 PM

No that's not what I am saying. People are buying these drinks much more than they would have, based off the strong marketing campaign which suggests the money people are spending is going to Africa. Without specifying that actually less than 5% of the money may make its way there. This isn't 50s money. This is the money of the people. They would have been better off giving they whole 2 dollars toward the cause (which could have fed 20x more people) as I'm sure many people believe they had done.... Then again, none of these covert making strategies targeting people's consciousness is new.

I wana see people raise above the level of crumbs being handed out and self sustain. It's also important to know who has the true interest of Africa at heart and who is coming strictly for business

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I