Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6184&start_row=1

Did Bob Marley ever meet Haile Selassie I?

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Bless Sent: 8/5/2015 8:55:31 PM

Been wondering this for a while. Can't find any information about it online

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 8/5/2015 10:39:36 PM

On the cover of the #1 selling and probably most well known reggae album "Legend The Best of Bob Marley", Bob is wearing a Lion of Judah ring that he wore within the last five years of his life, and before him, it is said to have belonged to Haile Selassie I. One evening while resting at his mother's house he fell asleep on the sofa and had a dream that would disturb him for the next decade. In the dream a short man dressed in Khaki and an old fedora came through the front door of the house and stood next to the sofa. The man then slid his hand into the jacket and produced a black ring embossed with an insignia Bob could not immediately figure out. He then took Bob's hand and pushed it into his forefinger saying; "this is all I have to give you."
Whilst Bob was residing in london, prominent Ras Tafari there put him in touch with officials of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. One thing led to another and before long he got an audience with Crown Prince Asfa Wossen -- A son of Selassie --.. During the two-hour meeting between Bob and Wossen, the crown prince said he had something for him. 'This belonged to His Majesty,' he said, 'you are the one who should wear it.' Bob was dumbstruck. It was the ring he had seen in his dream in Delaware - a black stone bearing the figure of the lion of Judah.
Around 1980, Selassie's granddaughter and nephew visited Bob in Miami. While they chatted in the living room, Bob pointed to the ring and posed: "Dis indeed was His Majesty's ring?" The Ethiopians nodded saying the Emperor had worn it all through his life. Bob went silent for a while then softly, but in a voice that trembled in a way Cedella had never thought possible, he said: "Ya know, sometimes dis ring, it burn my finger, like fire."

Upon Bob Marley's passing, people were trying to find the ring. His mother was reported of saying: "De ring gwan back from whence it come. It back on His Majesty's mighty hand. And yuh... yuh know neither de day nor de hour."

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 8/6/2015 1:53:40 AM

Many Thanks for the information, Hemphill.

The information tells us that Bob wore King Selassie's ring, and that it was given to him, not directly from HIM.

The question still remains, did Bob marley ever actually MEET HIM?

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Lemuel II Sent: 8/6/2015 3:02:47 AM

No, Bob Marley never met HIM.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/6/2015 6:51:54 AM

No his teacher did

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/6/2015 7:12:04 AM

no. i think he really didnt. there are a lot of myths. like hes met HIM and HIM said to bob that he is god in deed but i think those are the real conspiracy theories and in the end its gossip.

Messenger: Shasatabe Makonnen Sent: 8/28/2015 1:56:04 PM

de I hemphill told that entire fairy tale like he was there first hand without even answering the original question O.o

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/28/2015 4:23:00 PM

dear Shasatabe Makonnen. did YOU experience it first hand and did YOU answer the question?

blessed love, reasoning time

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/28/2015 5:36:41 PM

That article don't sound like it written by Rastafari. Myths and hearsay, and maybe promotion. Forward

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 3/23/2021 8:42:54 AM

this is indeed a sign.

Jahs Chosen

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I