Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6180&start_row=61

The Kemetic Origins Of Fictional Characters

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 86
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/13/2015 9:11:16 AM

Your not excused. Still you used the word.......

Who did you get that from as the origin of picnic?

"Picnic' began life as a 17th-century French word: it wasn't even close to being an American invention. A 1692 edition of Origines de la Langue Françoise de Ménage mentions 'piquenique' as being of recent origin and marks the first appearance of the word in print. As for how the French came by this new term, it was likely invented by joining the common form of the verb 'piquer' (meaning "to pick" or "peck") with 'nique,' possibly either a Germanic term meaning "worthless"

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/13/2015 11:38:37 AM

so we should always use the term "n-word".

like ive said. im not black so i dont use it.

but to me its a word that is or SOUNDS racist when white people use it but from what i know its part of pop culture and has lost its original meaning. so not everybody who uses it is a racist and conscious about it.

at first it was a superficial word for blacks.for the people in slavery. then it was used by racists heavily. then blacks have picked it up in america to make a political statement like "yes, there is a certain racist stereotype about blacks but we can go all the way from rags to riches as well" in my understanding. it was used by blacks in mass media since black culture became a popular part of main stream. the blaxploitation flicks, rap. and then it has lost his political meaning. i remember that they have used the n-word in the european rap scene. all of the white guys used it because they have copied the u.s. american slang and it was just a word like "homie" or whatever. but of course its stil lracist. but i think today people use it just because they are confused and the youngest of them dont know where it comes from and how important that word was for racists.

but sometimes you just dont know. i remember once ive found myself i nthe middle of a karaoke party and i was wondering that one white dude has used the word over and over again. then ive realised that he was reading the words (the lyrics) from a screen. it was just a song of a black rapper.

so bottom line is...if youre white just dont use it. if you have to utter your thoughts about it because you are talking about history or racism say "n-word" or "the word". i can understand that this word has to be banned from our languages. but not everybody who uses it is a racist to me. especially the kids.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 8/13/2015 6:39:59 PM

Greetings all,

In regards to the use of "white" (in western world, this would be defined "good/pure") and "black" as evil...

A perfect example of why Rasta deal with Word Sound and Power. I'm sure di bredren's use of "white magic/black magic" wasn't intentionally racist, however it reminds us to overstand the racist etymologies of the English language and to be wise with the words we choose to use.

Again, it all boils down to one's perspective. Does one see/hear/feel the world from "behind blue eyes" or from "behind the spectacles of Ethiopia"

For InI, black is the essence of Life. Life is founded upon CARBON, the Black element present in all living matter. Black carbon atoms link to form Black Melanin, which has “Black Hole” properties! Black Holes are found at the center of our own galaxy and countless others. In physics, a “Black Body” is known to be a perfect absorber and perfect radiator of all forms of light and energy.

Out of BLACKNESS comes all colors.

Black is the color of authority and power (a judge wears black, so does a priest)

For those who need biblical justification:
The Lord said that he would dwell in the thick darkness. 1 Kg.8:12, 2 Chronicles 6:1. He made darkness his secret place;

Now the color white:

Beware of the 3 White Devils: Sugar, Flour and Dairy. Anything that begins as brown and then "refined" to white looses all its nutrients. Also, when the life is gone from a thing, it turns white.
Albinism is a condition where one has little or no pigmentation ... Most with albinism tend to have poor rates of survival and are generally considered weaker.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 8/13/2015 6:43:21 PM

On the origins of the word "picnic"

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/13/2015 7:25:43 PM

Yet it still states its french; 'Piquenique'. For it to be pick a nigger it would insinuate its American in origin. And why would lynchings be tied into food? And what kind of dictionary states 'its a black guy' lol

Not convinced. Seems like something more for hidden colors

"Picnic derived from the French word pique-nique, a term from the late 17th century. A pique-nique was kind of like a pot-luck, but more upscale. Pique means pick, so that is easy. It comes from piquer, which has many shades of meaning. And nique means something like "nothing much" or a "trifle." It was a social gathering in which each guest brought along a little something to eat."

Peace!

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 8/13/2015 7:42:04 PM

Must be come frome Louisiana then if its French originated on North American mainland.

Does it have anything to do with pickney, pikin, pikiney, pickininy?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/13/2015 7:45:19 PM

Pickaninny - pidgin form, derived from the Portuguese pequenino and spanish pequeno; 'little one'

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 8/13/2015 11:15:36 PM

Thats what i figured but seeing that French word had me thinking

Bless up

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 8/14/2015 7:20:25 PM

LOL Garvey's Africa and your comment "And what kind of dictionary states 'its a black guy' lol"....

Here's my issue with the French version...

French is my first language and I've never heard or used the words "pique" or "nique" in reference to anything, food, people, etc

Hence me being equally unconvinced with the "French" version.

Like Voodoo mentioned, it could be a Louisiana "creole" version, however I also speak Creole, and neither sound familiar.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 8/14/2015 11:17:44 PM

Probably old 18th century French!

Do u speak Louisian Creole or another variety or are they about the same?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 86

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I