Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6152&start_row=11

The History of "Dreadlocks"

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 27
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/15/2015 12:27:56 PM

"Dreadlocks have been a part of the history of every spiritual system. Locked hair has been a symbol of a highly spiritual person who is trying to come closer to God(s). Dreadlocks roots are commonly traced back to Hinduism and the God Shiva."

FIRE

I seen this kind of talk posted around the place too many times. Rasta get them livity from India...... No Rastafari had anything INDIAN in they minds when I and I first adopted dreadlocks. Smh. You couldn't have got that part of the article from assatashakur website..... (Say it ain't so) lol they usually more on they game with this RBG

Sister you already done post the pic of Amenemhet III with his several thousand year old dread. So how are we commonly tracing this back to India and Shiva? Nonesensical indian cultural thievery. Which hair will lock more naturally when left to its own devices? It's obvious. Yet still people will always try and take away from InI history.

Similarities are nice. But I n I on an African redemptive trod, nothing foreign in I thing brought I n I to this innerstanding

Peace

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/15/2015 3:59:54 PM

I would agree, one cannot say the ROOTS of InI locs are in India or Shiva, they are the BRANCHES, not the root. However, in InI overstanding, what is now known as "India" was in fact the daughter of Kush. Buddha himself was a Kushite High Priest. The original peoples of India are Ethiopian/Kushite. So I can see how the timeline gets blurred when one points to India as the origins. No, not the origin, but certainly passed through there and Kushite traditions and bloodline still remains.

SHIVA WITH LOCS

BUDDHA WITH LOCS

RASTA

SADDHU

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/15/2015 4:02:56 PM

AARRGGHHH! My apologies for the HUGE picture!!! It wouldn't let me edit and find a smaller one, or edit the pictures that didn't come out.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/15/2015 4:12:57 PM

People who study Kemet are forced to look into the WAY things are written as well as the content. As facts can and have been blurred and skewed to look a certain way. 'Commonly traced back to India' not 'also found in India' but instead they use a statement of inference that India originate this thing name Rastafari

Big up sister

Yes, the Dravidian them. My thoughts on them are a little different but Isis and Praises everytime for the knowledge.

African roots

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/15/2015 4:15:26 PM

If you save the pic to your device and reupload to somewhere like postimage.org you can resize and select 'message board' dimensions 640x800

It no bother I still sistren forward

Blessed

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/15/2015 5:24:47 PM

Seen, give thanks bredren!

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 7/15/2015 11:00:31 PM

"The Great Prophet" Akomfo Anokye is said to have given "77" laws to the Asante Nation of Ghana and is artistically shown as Dreadlocked Priest!

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 3/8/2016 5:16:18 PM

Speaking of the indian link, it's like Vaughn Benjamin in Midnite sing, "what's the first verse ina Ester? Run go go check your king james version.."

Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 11/12/2018 2:36:37 AM

Rastafarian Boy, 13, Wins Racial Discrimination Case Against School Who Told Him To Cut His Hair. A young Rastafarian schoolboy will now be allowed to wear his hair in dreadlocks at school after winning a legal battle. Chikayzea Flanders, 13, was told his hairstyle breached the appearance policy during his first day at Fulham Boys School in West London last year. But his family, who are Rastafarian, launched a legal case against the school, claiming that the rules were discriminatory, according to the Mirror. The boy's mother, Tuesday Flanders, made an official complaint to the secondary school and said she found their response to be unsatisfactory. The next step was to get lawyers, funded by the Equality and Human Rights Commission, brought in to deal with the matter. They criticised the stringent uniform rules and argued dreadlocks represented a fundamental part of the youngster's Rastafarian beliefs. The MailOnline have reported that in a move that may force other schools to lift their ban on dreadlocks, the Church of England free school has backed down and admitted to indirect discrimination. The school will now have to pay for the family's legal costs and reach a settlement with Chikayzea and his mum. It has also been ordered by the Governors' Complaints Resolution Committee that more equality and diversity training needs to be given to staff. As it happens, Chikayzea left the school after a month to go to a local academy. But Fulham Boys School has said he is welcome to return, should he wish to, provided that his dreadlocks are tied up so that they do not touch the top of his collar. Welcoming the verdict, Tuesday told the MailOnline: "As parents we place our trust in schools and teachers to help mould our children's lives through education, but that should never place restrictions on their identity or their ability to express their religious beliefs." She explained to the Evening Standard: "The whole thing is not a fashion for me or my family. All my boys have the same dreadlocks, my partner has the dreadlocks, my hair is down to my ankles. "I didn't want my son's face splashed all over the paper. It's not right that parents have to go to this sort of length to get justice." According to the Mirror, Fulham Boys School head teacher, Alun Ebenezer, says they 'had dealt with the complaint through our published complaints procedure' and said Chikayzea was welcome to return. He added: "Nearly 20% of our boys come from private schools and rub shoulders with the 40% of boys from socially deprived backgrounds. "Our uniform policy means you don't know whose parents earn millions of pounds and who comes from an area with real social deprivation. It shows that only character matters and raises aspiration."
Jamaicas final court is unfortunately still in England and as such all the Boasty Slave ( Principals and Ministry of Education officials) who discriminate against Rastafari, should be provided with the outcome of this case.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 5/26/2019 3:54:02 PM

This reminds me of one ancient former priest of an afrocentric church I met,he must be in his mid 80s.The man overheard I arguing with some friends about Bible,God etc,then he confessed that to me nuff days later.He asked me if I really know why mi carry locks and then i just submitted like a learner,then him invited me to him yard.

Eager to reason with him,i visited him pon him yard n him tell I say"wat you were saying to your friends is a mystery n you are a mysterious youth".
Him said thru out history dreadlocked pple were feared, highly respected and looked up to,and said such people like these had very ancient ancestral Irits dat cause them to lock their hair,and usually separated themselves from society and would not get married until a ceremony is done to ask the Irits for a wife/husbands for the natty dreadlock.

He went on to say these people(dreadlocked)were the only people to make rainfall during drought.

Each family got a chosen one by the ancient ancestral Irits to safeguard the family/clan.The person becomes a host of the ancient ancestor,but,he warned me saying,the sad part of it is when some envious family members start to use bad obeah to hijack the Irit to them favour,getting good fortune etc yet make the chosen one go like cruff,unambitious,soneone who cant achieve anything in life .

I asked him why then is the road so rocky for the dreadlock,and he said so that you can have a story to tell when you made it in life.

His last words when i paid farewell was,"dat which made you to lock your hair shall guide"

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 27

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I