Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6145&start_row=1

White appropriation of reggae music

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/9/2015 7:28:48 AM

http://www.panamericanworld.com/en/commentary/bhm-making-it-snow-why-jamaican-reggae-tough-genre-appropriate

BOB MARLEY
KYMANI MARLEY
MORGAN HERITAGE

- the only black artists on the billboard top ten reggae chart. there is a clear agenda here. it's not so much the artist but the record label and distributors faults who prefer to push the carbon copied more socially presentable and acceptable whiteman to a mainly white audience..... profit maximising cultural criminals

it's not even like rap music where eminem was propelled to the top of the world. he had genuine talent and could compare and compete with the best in the genre from black people at the time. with reggae music, in no way shape or form are the artist on this list representative of the best or most skilled of the culture yet dem come to nyam all the food.

thoughts?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/9/2015 7:42:55 AM

Bunny and Peter were onto something higher dan Bob could see, in not trusting Chris Blackwell

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/9/2015 12:58:29 PM

well. if there was an island which population is not influenced by the rest of the world at all and all they care about is good music and they even have 50 reggae artists, 30 blacks and 20 whites, and at one point their reggae top ten would include only 3 blacks thats fine to me.

i saw a new burro banton interview and he still respects dominic, this white canadian foundation deejay.

i think cecile once said that shes kind of ashamed that bruno mars is able to produce such a great sound while the sound in jamaica isnt able to reach that quality. interesting. even though i dont agree with her. the interview was kind of weird anyways. she also spoke about the problems regarding "battyman tunes" and said that its a whole different animal in europe and her hair stylist was gay.

i know that josey wales is always very respectful when it comes to his collegues in public but i remember a certain interview with him. i think he said something like although he still really respects his former label/ sound volcano it wasnt very helpful that the late great junjo wanted to put all of the attention on yellowman. i know hes black but skin color can be used to sell products in so many ways.

gentleman once said that he talked to buju banton on a party and buju said that he respects him but buju also thinks that gentleman is easier to promote for the big labels because hes white. "white is light is right" to those main stream guys.

look at the jamaican reggae charts. i dont see one white face. look at the official reggae charts. most of the artists are white. look at an independent white guy who creates his own reggae chart: david rodigan. on his webiste there are 2 white band and 8 black artists combinations in his hit list of the month.

yellowman said that dancehall isnt dancehall anymore. dancehall has become rubbish hall. i thin kthats right.

personally i think that the quality of jamaican dancehall has become poor over the years and dancehall is in japan now. there are many great roots productions in europe too. but the most AUTHENTIC dancehall artist are still jamaicans. in germany for example they try to escape the comparison to real jamaican dancehall artists by dealing with humor. there are some guys who chat with an bavarian dialect. or they only use oldschool and roots riddims. its laughable sometimes. there are nuff good tunes but europe is all about roots.

so we have to respect the roots. also when it comes to music. i think dancehall needs a comeback of reggae to reach another quality. all in all, not only regarding hardcore dancehall, jamaica is still the most authentic source but even though its good to see that reggae has gone international it needs more listeners and i really think that the main stream which tries to distort the sound and push white artists just because of their skin color cant make it happen alone.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/9/2015 1:05:38 PM

Go away with you telling me carribean can't produce he same quality music as white reggae. Because you say so? Because Cecile? Dem always come with a Uncle Tom to represent they argument.

I take the perspective of the pioneers of the genre.

There is music outside of what youtube and iTunes present to your screen

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/9/2015 1:14:43 PM

thats what cecile told the german riddim magazine.

i dont agree with her.

i dont say that jamaica cant be as good as the white main stream reggae.

buttom line is i think its a good thing that reggae is international and it even needs more listeners but the way main stream is selling it with white people who are easier to promote is the wrong way. i dont like most of those main stream reggae tunes. especially bruno mars etc. thats really not for me.

the quality of jamaican hardcore dancehall has all in all become poor to me but we need to respect the roots and jamaica is the place with the most talented artists on earth to me.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 7/9/2015 1:21:11 PM

Bruno Mars do reggae?

I saw dat cat once on utube and never wanted to click on him to hear nothing from him! Looked kinda batty to I

It just came up again an song with Damian Marley called liquor store blues, that bruno dude looks a lil funni

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/9/2015 1:24:51 PM

yeah, right.

sound like that is the "sunshine reggae" and "red red wine" of today.

but i respect snow. i think he still regularly in jamaica. i think hes friends with ninja man.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/9/2015 1:44:09 PM

when it comes to white artists, especially in the 90s, there was a thin line.

if you are complaining about the top ten you dont know what reggae fans in europe have to witness since the early 90s.

i have to say that i only work with special examples here. but there even was a deejay combination called "homo banton and lady jah" with a lp called "irie blasphemy". to make it clear:

that "ok" to me

thats just one of the things that make "red red wine" sound like a great mix of reggae and pop music. original mad man singing

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/10/2015 6:41:34 AM

dilution and destruction of Rasta and Reggae.

When you see someone waving the red, gold, green and black and shouting “Rasta”, never assume that they have taken the time to actually study the roots of Rasta. Many who shout Rasta don’t even know who Marcus Garvey was and what he stood for. They have no idea who Leonard Howell was or what he stood for. In fact if you asked them who founded the Rastafari movement they will probably say Bob Marley.

While peace, love and harmony is the goal of Rasta, that’s not the essence of Rasta. The essence of Rasta is resistance, fighting against oppression, resisting unjust systems and revolting until there is equal rights and justice for all. These are the things that are at the root of Rasta. The primary purpose of Rasta was to resist against European aggression and oppression. In fact, if you wanted to make a soundtrack of what is currently taking place in Baltimore and Tel Aviv, reggae would have to be the primary genre to choose songs from.

So I was very surprised at the messages I got when I decided to play some reggae songs in support of the protestors in Ferguson, Baltimore and Tel Aviv. One person even went as far to tell me that reggae is love and the music I was posting was not reggae. I am not making this up. I was posting songs from Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Dennis Brown and Max Romeo. We are talking about the king of reggae, the prince of reggae, the stepping razor himself and a living legend in Max Romeo. The songs I posted were songs like “Revolution”, “Burning and Looting” and “Get up stand up” by Bob Marley. I also posted “Revolution” by Dennis Brown and “Equal Rights and justice” by Peter Tosh.

How could someone claim to love reggae but find some of the classic reggae songs offensive? The reason is a lot of people heard Bob Marley’s song “One Love” and have no idea what the term means or even who coined the term. “One Love” is a term coined by Marcus Garvey and it was not meant to be a Kumbaya song. One Love was a phrase for Blacks to unite and return to the motherland. Some white people also choose to conveniently ignore the part in the song where Bob Marley says, “Let’s get together to fight this Armageddon”. Who is he telling to let’s get together and who are they going to fight against? Again, Rasta is not all about one love. In fact, the motto of the Nyabinghi is, “Death to all Black and White oppressors”. So trying to stifle certain reggae songs and pigeon hole militant Rastas as weed smoking hippies is ridiculous. So I could play Bob Marley’s “One Love” but I mute the part about fighting the Armageddon and I should not play his songs like “Revolution” or “Get up stand up”? It is alright when Dennis Brown says “Here I come with love and not hatred”, but not when he says “Are you ready to stand up and fight the right revolution?”

If you are just on the Rasta bandwagon because it seems cool, please hop off. Rasta is way deeper than just being cool. Reggae is way deeper than just being cool. Big up all protestors from Baltimore to Tel Aviv. As Bob Marley said,”Arm in arm with arms we fight this struggle.. Cause that’s the only way we can overcome this trouble.”

And Cheer up to all the oppressed. As Fred Locks says, “things won’t always be the same.” We have to take the steps to make sure things change. BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

http://www.18karatreggae.com/2015/05/05/the-dilution-and-destruction-of-rasta-and-reggae/

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/10/2015 6:42:36 AM

I think Matiyashu is one of the biggest threats to InI nation with his fake Jewish misrepresentation of Rasta music. Appropriation being used as a weapon

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I