Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6145&start_row=11

White appropriation of reggae music

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/10/2015 7:37:55 AM

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 7/10/2015 1:57:35 PM

Right on the money...Fiyah on the neo-colonizers. Fiyah on wolves in sheeps clothing.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/10/2015 2:24:08 PM

a great quote.

i dont speak for matisyahu but as of right now its not that obvious to me that hes the one who is taken the fundamental things of reggae away from the genre.

but i agree to everything thats been said. what i wanted to say is that white people can produce reggae and it would be good for jamaica if there would be even more listeners worldwide but whites arent superior and everythings thats been said about promoting whites is vcry true. right.

but theres just one little thing. i dont think youre right about eminem. hes only interested in moving towards a new world order. unfortunately proof isnt anymore.

many main stream stars are part of a cia project which is used to kill the personality of people by the help of electricty (shocks), torture (hanging them upside down, holding their heads under water, confuse them with a mix of shocking facts and lies and humilate them) and sexual perversions (being penetraed by a goat or in an orgy). because they wanted to sell their souls to the devil and they have a pact with the main stream elite to do everything they want to get famous. that has nothing to do with hip hop to me. but enough of those theories again. just saying.

it has nothing to do with hip hop. i mean main stream in general.

Messenger: Anishinaabeg Jiisakiwinini Sent: 7/16/2015 8:40:44 AM

+https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbSX4E1rnJs

Hafta copy and paste above into address bar I guess.
Any thoughts after watching this? RAS KUKO Feat. MORODO JAH CUIDA

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/16/2015 4:28:26 PM

well. im a white guy and i think what you want is an answer of a black african rasta and i respect that.

i want to say that i see the problem.

i think its obvious that there are white rastas nowadays and those people in the video arent the problem in my humble opinion. because this is an example of strictly following the culture. there are other examples which show that sometimes white rastas seem to "distort" rasta culture with hippie behaviour, superficial arguments and strange european influences.

but i think the I maybe sees that those people are "stealing" the culture. because it seems like they have just copied the behaviour of black africans instead of staying true to theirself. it reminds me of lucianos "give praise". to me, its a nice video even though i dont like those ugly superficial images like white guys sitting barefoot next to a river but im open towards criticism.

so i think the problem is that the nyabinghi movement has certain aims and jamaican rasta movements have chosen to live countryside to escape from babylon and to be connected to nature but seeing some white guys from europe on a lawn seems kind of fake. because there is no white nyabinghi movement. its an oxymoron. white rastas cant copy those things one by one. you can be a white rasta (or rasta alley to some african rastas) and try to stay connected to nature without copying jamaican culture but you have to see that youre still part of europe.

so i think the concept of their liftstyle which is shown by them is allright but videos like this seem to copy black culture without giving something back.

Messenger: Anishinaabeg Jiisakiwinini Sent: 7/17/2015 8:51:45 AM

Ok thanks for the response.
Had some of those thoughts my self and still wonder if this white appropriation of reggae. I suppose it helps if one overs a Spanish to hear the message but maybe the words are irrelevant to some.
-AJ elDanI

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/17/2015 4:53:49 PM

White appropriation of reggae is systemic. From corporate to media to artiste

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/18/2015 12:27:52 PM

thats true. somehow i think real uncensored and raw reggae and dancehall is dangerous to them.

bob marley is dead. peter tosh is dead. jacob miller is dead. dennis brown and many others. nitty gritty, tenor saw. i know some dancehall artists have died because they were murdered on the street but theyve said that garnett would be the next big thing and now hes dead too.

buju, tiger, supercat, beres. all of them had big deals. but after shaggy they have only pushed superficial dancehall. slackness and party music. sean paul was the last one theyve made a real superstar.

i still dont know what so many of the real veterans and conscious singers had to die young.

its really strange.

i dont want to abuse this thread to actually PUSH white people (to dishonor the jamaican sound). but i think there are some good white artists who are known internationally. dominic, snow (the dude who sang "anything for you" with nadine sutherland. hes still at it and has a new tune with mykal rose), gentleman, alborosie. i think they arent disrespectful.

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I