Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6093&start_row=1

Could you answer me some questions?

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: zazwi248 Sent: 5/20/2015 1:01:04 PM

Greetings

I donīt exactly know if my question belongs to this forum, if not I will understand deleting of it.

I could maybe get some mistakes in my English, or misunderstanding in Rastafari. So sorry for that.

Iīve just got some questions about what Iīm doing and about Rastafari. Okay.

I donīt say that Iīm Rasta, but I really like this religion.
It started by listening reggae music, of course first was Bob Marley...
I just want to ask who is poser, or what true Rasta donīt like about people like posers, or not true Rasta people. And If I donīt belong to them.

I think that my love of Rastafari, that I deeply discovered in me, could by given by my older brother, with him I grown up, because when I was small he proffesed Rastafari religion really deep and he was and is like my "ideal". Like I said, it started by reggae, then I read something about Rastafari, (about Babylon, Kingdom of Zion, dreadlocks, Jah Rastafari, Haile Selassie, Ethiopia, Jamaica...) and I found my belief in that. I also read about the Rasta love of women. Women are one of my main affection, if I can say it like that.

Few days ago I bought shoelaces with Ethiopia flag colours, or Rasta colours, and backpack with that colours too. I know itīs not about wearing that colours, but I really like them. Also I know itīs not about dreadlocks, which I donīt have ( Morgan Heritage - Don't Haffi Dread ). So Iīm afraid that I could look like a Rasta poser.

So could you tell me what is your opinion about this?
Should I continue in my affection or I should stop, because I could be a poser?

Thanks for answers.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/20/2015 1:45:54 PM

greetings!

well i'm white and since i'm from europe, english isn't my first language too. two things people often missunderstand about reggae or jamaica is that jamaican or patois/ patwa is not an official language and rasta is not a religion.

first of all, i think that the jamaican accent should be seen as a real official language since every language is based on others. but rasta is not a religion. there might be priests, there might be common interpretations spiritual wise but it's a movement. and it's a black movement which includes african repatriation and maybe you can say that it's in general all about a lifestyle that isn't that much influenced by the western world. it's about knowing your roots, holding on to your culture and follow truth and rights in a certain way. there are no lodges. nobody will tell you what you have to do to be real rasta.

so some african rastas will always say that people can pick up the appreciation for his majesty, even declare him as their prophet, messiah or god, you can adopt some things you've learned from rasta or be a fan of certain things rasta is known for (music, even reggae music...the natural lifestyle in general) but even if you have locks you will always be a rasta alley and not a real rasta because rasta itself is only a movement for africans. but nobody won't stop you from growing some locks to honour rasta and to be true to your understandings of life to get out of the system more and more. i think many rastas will even like that because it's good to see that rasta has a certain power to change things and even make changes among the masses worldwide. because it's all about changing the world in the end to me.

i think what will make you a poser is don't listening to your inner voice and your heart. if you conscience says something isn't right, than it might be so. just take time to think. rasta is mainly about HIM, so if you are just picking up the lifestyle but history, racism and even HIS MAJESTY are too much for you than to me you are just a rasta alley. what doesn't have to be bad. but a rasta would deal with this subject. the next thing is to follow your diet. no swine, not all kind of fishes. rasta people follow an ital vegetarian/ vegan/ fruitarian diet in order to follow the spirit within instead of loading the temple (body) up with corps and chemicals etc. i think those are the basics to truely deal with this culture and to follow rasta.

when it comes to locks, the point of view of the morgan family is maybe a litle bit controversal. i think they know it too. no disrespect. but they even go to mcdonals so thy have their very own concept of rasta and this song makes it all clear. there are also people who follow a very strict (main stream) christian way of life while they are following fundamental rasta things so they call themself christafari. to me, locks are important. it's the most natural "hair style" and it truely shows that you aren't into following the masses without thinking to oyurself and to others. so it might appear "dreadful" to some people. they'd call it natty dreadlocks. it's a black rasta identiy so especially non-blacks should have locks in my view. to support the fundamental aspects of rasta to the fullest. it's also like a contract to rasta. it's your body controlled by YOUR mind and heart and soul.

Messenger: zazwi248 Sent: 5/20/2015 2:09:35 PM

Well, thank you very much for your answer.

First sorry for that I said Rasta is a religion, I know itīs more likely movement.

Now, from your answer I think I more understand to this. Like you said, I just want to honour Rasta movement, thatīs capturing it.
I agree everything you wrote here.

Iīm from Europe, and Iīm white too.
I also thought about Ital diet and dreadlocks, but i havenīt realized that yet.

Iīm just feeling great, when I could follow the Rasta understandings of life and the style of life. So I will keep it.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 5/21/2015 5:19:02 AM

Run tune.. Anthony B. "True Rastaman" a.k.a "Nazarene Vow"

TONY REBEL!

Babylon bridge is failing down.
Burning, burning, burning till it touch the ground.
I and I come to utter some conscious sound.
Don't be afraid grow your dreads till it touch all the ground.
Remember all your antenna dem seen, have mercy.

Say we no bow, we no gow ras, then and ras now,
Long time me tek fi me Nazarene vow.
We no bow, we no gow ras, then and ras now,

The first time me know say Rastafari legit,
Is when me tek a little prip in a number chapter six.
Me read Revelation and I was astonished,
Fi know the mark of the beast that is six, six, six.
Me check Samson and John the Baptist,
Them grow them natty dread, mek it long like wiffs.
Who, me start fi grow fi me dread some more,
When me read Ezekiel forty-four.

So we no bow, we no gow ras, then and ras now,

Some people a spread propaganda 'bout long hair is a sin,
But me challenge anyone but me know them can't win.
'Cause any day them show me inna the Bible say man fe trim,
Me give them scissors and comb and mek them cut off everything.

Cah we no bow, we no gow ras, then and ras now,
A we no bow, we no gow ras, then and ras now,

You know one thing me used to hate when me a teenager,
I man used to live with me grandfather.
Every weekend him come him give me one hundred dollar,
And cah tell me 'bout me must go to the barber.
But when me see the scissors and me see the razor,
Me always think the man going to commit murder.
Why me never stop until me get me heart desire,
See de now me grow me dread as a real Rasta.

Me mek nuff guy fret, nuff heathen mouth shut,
'Cause them can't understand Rastafari yet.
Nuff a them no stop check, 'pon the vibes weh we ah get,
But a true dem no know is a born concept.
Have some long hair guy, whe no stop live a lie,
But you can't use them fat de, 'bout you a go fry.
'Cause higher example fe the Most High,
I and I is a true born Rastafari.

If you sight the fullness and you want grow your locks,
No listen chat no bother watch nothing fi try mek you stop.
You dread ah you antenna and a you contract,
So from you sign that de agreement you can't turn back.

One time dem used to gwaan like say I and I a mad man,
True we talk different and eat different and grow we hair long.
Nowadays out a ten at least three man dem a dread dem,
Head top and 'pon the back them have a sprong.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/21/2015 7:44:29 AM

can you read my mind? i listen to this tony rebel song (and also to this anthony b tune about the vow) all the time. i couldn't remember that i've listened to this before after i've found them a few days ago while i was searching for tunes about the nazarene vow.

rebel is really about the bible again. do you think he had followed the nazarene vow completely before he startet to let his hair grow into neglect dreads? because the bible says that you should let your hair grow to get locks AFTER you followed the vow?...

Messenger: Ganjahman Sent: 5/30/2015 3:36:35 AM

Irie! I've found this site a great place to get to know more about HIM Haile Selassie I, the Most High the only one deserving any praise and worship, and also i found this forum really interesting, specially cuz the story of bredda zazwi248, i fell really identified with his situation, i just started almost the same way into this truth path. I got to the point understanding rasta is to live into the proper way, making good to everybody and fighting against the system babylon teaches with education, information, wisdom, peace and love and that there are several ideas of how to live into rasta but sharing with more breddas and sistas we can get to a propper way to continue living, i still have a lot of questions and i guess this forum is perfect to ask and answer, to reason about those doubts that people like us, starting into this wonderful way, may have (a great name by the way!)...my question for today will be: what does rasta believe about ganja reasonings with our kids? how can we educate our kids on a proper way according to rasta? thanks in advance! blessings from HIM! blessings from guatemala! IRIE!

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/13/2015 3:15:16 PM

a very simple question i still have regarding rasta basics is what names and titles can be chosen to honour your rasta background (even for the ones who dont follow christianity)?

i think "ras" means head so even though many rastas use the term "ras" before their name to show that they are connected to rasta in general doesnt mean that everybody can be a ras within rasta culture, doesnt it?
but everybody can take the term "jah" (and the name of the one you are talking to) to speak to other rastas or to use it for your own name, right?

but when i dont want to give my son or daughter a name thats influenced by rome or by greeks, what kind of name could i give them? especially if a person isnt african. is it blasphemous to call your children "tafari" or "menelik"?

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 6/21/2015 11:12:26 PM

Rasta is a Black Liberation movemant,by black people,for black people.

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I