Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6092&start_row=1

Exposure of youths to popular culture

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Sister Sent: 5/17/2015 11:15:44 AM

Jah blessings. I am finding now that my son is older I have to vet some of what he takes in through the media, i.e. radio, you tube music. I give him explanations about this so it doesnt seem attractive purely because its off limits, I reason it on his level for him. I am hoping this will give him a grounding in being selective for himself and overstanding what he hears and sees. I am talking about slackness, music videos featuring homosexuality or sexuality explicit dancing, songs with words that degrade women, glamorise drug dealing or use bad language, all of which is in music from the top 40, sometimes carelessly disguised. I dont want to shelter him completely but give him some strong guidance to navigate by.

Has any I else been through this with children/youths? To what extent do you let them be exposed to popular culture and do you put it in context for them? How can we keep their minds pure enough to see clearly?

Give thanks.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/17/2015 11:48:46 AM

i said that we are living in babylon right now before. it is not a biblical metaphor. it is not a historical comparison. you don't have to be into certain theories too much. all you have to do is be conscious and put some facts together. christmas, easter, our orders and names of the different days of the week (and moths), so many names of products. it all goes straight back to babylon or to the times when nimrod/ saturn and ishtar/ aphrodite or hercules/ the godly son which is represented by a signle eye were adored by the masses. many things are still from agyptian/ greek/ roman (fire pon rome) heritage. just a fact you can check on wikipedia or youtube.
reality is not what it seems to a man who follows this system blindfolded.

it is all about the money. all about power. we are controlled by a minority. who knows who really controls the world? people will play along if they are pleaesed. and if you check how many people suffer from cancer nowadays we don't know if there is something in the air (or in the weather...) or what t.v. and smartphone are doing to us technically in reality. who knows what it does to our health and to our brains? who can we trust?

so just like macka b says in his song "can't sleep" many celebrities are IN DEED dealing with satan and satanistic rites. it is absoluteley no secret that movies and videos and picture are full of strange signs and symbols. "so what?" you might say. and i myself would even agree with you. we can only watch but people have to watch and be conscious. where are these celebrities are coming from? (which background?...it seems like we know all of them personally because of the daily gossip but in fact we don't know nothing about them and their background companies and teams who are building their career). we can only trust our human senses and try to do what's right. try to be OURSELF and have a little faith in god, ourself and righteousness.

we don't have to be too strict with the youths or put fear and hopeless imaginations in their hearts but they have to know right from wrong. and both is excisting.

so i don't walk around with ear plugs because i know that all kind of superficial main stream music will get to my head slowly but surely.

i don't watch any hollywood movies because i know that the decisions those "movie heros" are making aren't that right and they have nothing to do with reality. it leads you into a fantasy world so you will trust western politic without a thought because you are used to trust and love all the products of our american/ european society. i live a life that's very untypical for a european person but we have to come together and show the big companies that we aren't supporting their stuff any longer. that's just our right.

i don't watch tv at all because i know it influences my decision and it is just a waste of time. not long time ago i used to watch babylon sitcoms every day and every day i thought things like "ok, man, it's totally normal to sit in a bar all day so alcohol can't be that bad. it's ok to drink a little something here and there". and in the end i was more and more into "usual" babylon freetime activities (clubs and bars) and drank scotch from friday to sunday.

i don't follow any babylon gossip because it manipulates us and makes things seem so important even if they are totally superficial and wrong.

i don't play any video games anymore because i know it is not good for my emotions. i have jah works to do and it just teaches the wrong values without noticing it.

i don't listen to the radio because i don't know who these guys are who has written all the lyrics for the babylon songs so i don't want to deal with hidden topics or the wrong content in general. that is not supposed to be part of my world. it's full of unholyness and slackness. full of temptetation. and i think it is just a trigger. it is there to please us and to distract us. who care about protests if everything is fine? you can sit in your kitchen and listen to "good entertainment".

i don't read certain books because of their (sexual) perversions and senseless brutality.

i try to keep my live as holy as it can be without dealing with certain arts or modern things like piercings and tattoos because my body is my temple.

i try to keep away from materialism in general. why do i need a big house? i can only be in one room. is bragging about my house the ultimate fullfillment? i try to see money as paper.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/18/2015 4:11:20 AM

Teaching is one thing. But the more youths are sheltered away from normal things of everyday life makes them less prepared when dealing with it without having you there. I see too many times Rasta son or daughter who expose to certain things for the first time once they leave the home only to end up another lost Ethiopian true they did know right from wrong but may have been naive to the experience.

Apart from keeping from certain foods, and poisons I was given the fundamental teachings and left to I own interpretations and overstanding to then set my own trod. Without being restricted from too much at all. Your youth have to find the journey for thenselves rather than have your version of the trod forced down them. It leads to better conviction in my opinion. But the balance isn't so clear which is what I think you were asking about I wouldn't restrict them too much is what I'm saying. Sometimes the best lessons are learnt after you've been burned a little. Like you said don't shelter but guide

Bless up black wombman mans FIRST teacher, nurturer, protector and guide.
Most High

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/18/2015 3:34:14 PM

Just have to put supm in them and let them grow which they will anyways into their own Identity, some take heed some dont

I was very exposed to the world of popular street culture, peope told I certain experienced y keep I away from certain thi gs but it was I own observations which guided I tho I did my thing but nobody made or schooled I on I path

Once I was goin to dis church and I met dis Empress who empressed I physically, she was raised in da church real strict and I was trying to get were she was raised in but she was ready to come out dat and experience what grew knowing and she did

So ultimately its their choice, just keep the positivity around and positve fun

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 5/19/2015 2:15:14 AM

Yes, you cannot force anything upon them really. They have to learn themselves, because for example if you try to stop them from seeing certain things... but they have a WILL to see them, believe me they will find ways...

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

----------------------

Having said that, I think the most important thing is to keep them strictly Ital from an early age. If they are already strictly ital, and you say "don't each that burger, it will make you sick", and they continue to eat it anyway, the burger most likely would make an Ital person very sick. So they make the connection themselves.

Give them some cannabis and let them decide for themselves whether it is a "dangerous drug". I think their decision will be pretty certain...

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Sister Sent: 5/20/2015 10:50:38 AM

Much appreciloved for the I's thoughts on this. I agree with the diet advice and give thankhs for the reminder that wombman is the first teacher. I feel if the child keeps an independent mind and spirit and feels strong in a minority they will be fine. Often experiencing what you dont feel a vibe with makes you know what you do share one with, so a process of learn and grow, grow and learn.
As I say to I youthman, stay blessed.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/21/2015 7:57:15 AM

burn babylon everday.

i mean if the bible is not important than why are there so many celebrities that obviously deal with satan (through aleister crowley and the church of satan) or symbols of the sun god aka the biblical nimrod? IF, let's say, the normal version of the bible was invented to control people i think it's message is still right but we need to be conscious anyway. in my view, we can't appear in front of spiritual people with the bible in front of our faces to hide behind it like the pope does traditionally. fighting over religions is what we have to avoid to use our holy scripture in the worst way possible. no matter what certain myths are about, my senses tell me that it ain't right.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 6/21/2015 11:48:22 PM

Burn biblikal thinking

Nimrod,egyptians are no evil

burn yo Jehova god

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/22/2015 5:00:05 AM

yeah. sometimes its hard to make a difference between kemet and the teachings of rome. between the bible teachings and african traditions. thats important to say to me.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/22/2015 7:16:33 AM

It easy iah. Kemet and Rome? History bredda
Burn out confusion

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I