Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6088&start_row=11

Mental Illness

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 34
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/14/2015 4:21:58 PM

Interesting. I forgot about that. Are you saying Bob Marley the so call Prophet of Rastafari was wrong for using 1 of the strongest form of pharmaceuticals available, in chemotherapy; as his last resort?
When sick, If sick, are we to believe His Majesty had never taken a pharmaceutical? With his known stance on the modernisation of the healthcare system and education?

Good points.

But this thread on mental health so not to stray too too much

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/14/2015 4:40:36 PM

i myself would never say bob marley was wrong about searching for help by visiting this bavarian doctor. the actions of every human being may seem a little bit inconsistent from time to time. although many rastas has certain knowledge when it comes to natural healing nobody can be criticized for trying to improve their health. of course there is a grey zone. like if there would be a pill which gives eternal physical life to the one who take it, would it be against jahs will?! is it bold to try to save our own lives by trying all kind of man made chemicals? i think bob marley hasn't entered this grey zone.

you can talk what ever you want about a human being. we could say that bob marley was a very weak man who had grown some locks no man of semi white heritage should carry on his head just because he has dealt with jamaican street culture after leaving his farm just to become an "obeah man" after he met some of those. then, when he was forced to stay in a hotel room for a few days he quickly turned away from rasta to become a baptized christian. if he ever met a moslem, he would become a moslem within a few minutes. gossip like this has to get a fire.

of course you can also say that he's a prophet and have certain interpretations. i know that bob is next to god to some fans.

personally, i like what garveysafrica said before. we should just take them as what they appeared to be. if hes a prophet to you let us think about it. in my view, it's just obvious that he did a lot of things for rasta nobody else was or is able to.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 5/14/2015 4:49:38 PM

I think you are right about people fearing what they don’t overstand. In this case that being their minds. GA your point was that, I assume, that in extreme cases such as a child attacking its mother with a knife, drugs are required and justified. That’s the point I drew from what you said. You say it wasn’t either planned or spur of the moment, Im not sure what lies between, maybe loss of control and I hear you saying hallucinations were to blame. Don’t take my comment personally, I understand it is traumatic to deal with people in situations like this and you have had first hand experience of it. But, horror stories are exactly real life experiences, taken out of context and used to establish a ‘right’ over a ‘wrong’. As things stand, in the society, there is a choice that seems right and justified, even to open minded people. So it goes on.

Bless.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/14/2015 5:15:29 PM

^Love.

Hard not to be reactionary sometimes, something I and as a people we need to be working on in Life.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 6/16/2015 12:03:45 PM

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/08/shaman-sees-mental-hospital.html

A very interesting article, for me, about an African shaman's view about mental illness. I have to say that I agree with everything that the African shaman says.

Basically, he says that mental illness is a longing, conscious or unconscious for a connection to the spiritual world, and that they are not necessarily "a problem" but rather a soul who has been chosen to become a healer.

"One of these [rituals] involves helping people discover that their distress is coming from the fact that they are “called by beings from the other world to cooperate with them in doing healing work.” Ritual allows them to move out of the distress and accept that calling."

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 6/16/2015 1:37:08 PM

Does da I know any mentally ill persons?

If so the I really think dats da case?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/16/2015 4:30:31 PM

YES!

Many people have said that mental illness is foolishness or folly created as a construct in babylon to label people and admin medicine and reh reh

I man say while this may be true to an extent. Mental Ilines is still real and still need to be managed. I have a perfect examples of a mentally ill:

Rachel Dolezal

Yes. She is mentally ill. She needs help. She a pathological liar with a clear personality disorder.

The Maafa

Yes. We all mental affect in a certain way.... Through the trans generational effects of post slavery stress syndrome over a 400 year period. It is not mentally right to not be in sync with your identity and culture. Hope is not lost. Rastafari is the treatment

For more obvious cases of people hearing voices and seeing duppy telling them not to come out of the house not to eat and to harm and kill themself and maybe they loved ones. Whether severe depression with psychosis or schizopree, dem thing is more a chemical imbalance of the brain. Livity and cultural management should still be encouraged like checking whe dem eating for sure. But chemical drugs may be needed to change dem deh high levels of chemical imbalance. Can't always jus ignore Ital, and then switch to ital when man get ill or mental sick, and feel say it will help you..... Nuff man done kno dem should have taken heed earlier yuzeemi?

Mental health
Most high
Selassie is the way

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 6/16/2015 6:19:01 PM

Fatrue I, I wit d I! not dat dem wha ill call fa be healer tho

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/19/2015 7:25:59 AM

i like that. so being a racist is just like a child who screams for his mother. they are desperately looking for a higher form of perception and good vibes and all they found was the nazi scene. in some nazi scenes you are only able to wear a red chain if you have killed somebody. so i ask myself how people can become such psychopaths? maybe they are just like a couple of confused kids who dont know where to go without their mothers. or their father. the system has taken them away from those sources.

so its not that wrong if you say i am what you have made me.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 6/19/2015 3:50:12 PM

(From the article linked above)..In the West, “it is the overload of the culture they’re in that is just wrecking them,” observes Dr. Somé. The frenetic pace, the bombardment of the senses, and the violent energy that characterize Western culture can overwhelm sensitive people. ………..

With schizophrenia, there is a special “receptivity to a flow of images and information, which cannot be controlled,” stated Dr. Somé. “When this kind of rush occurs at a time that is not personally chosen, and particularly when it comes with images that are scary and contradictory, the person goes into a frenzy.” ………….

Dr. Somé believes that he encounters this situation so often in the United States because “most of the fabric of this country is made up of the energy of the machine, and the result of that is the disconnection and the severing of the past. You can run from the past, but you can’t hide from it ….

“Unless the relationship between the living and the dead is in balance, chaos ensues,” he says. “The Dagara believe that, if such an imbalance exists, it is the duty of the living to heal their ancestors. If these ancestors are not healed, their sick energy will haunt the souls and psyches of those who are responsible for helping them.” The rituals focus on healing the relationship with our ancestors, both specific issues of an individual ancestor and the larger cultural issues contained in our past. Dr. Somé has seen extraordinary healing occur at these rituals.
……

Thanks Humble Joe for the link to the article. Its too easy to dismiss other ways of seeing things, even though they have links to aspects of every culture. The way people are treated in the west offers no opportunity for healing, only temporary avoidance and who says sanity means being well adjusted to a sick society? Just because we are so far down an alley doesn’t mean that’s the only way, even if there is no going back there is absolutely a going forward and it takes a clear mind to perceive it and the way there. Even if pharma offers a crutch to making it back to mainstream, don’t believe that’s a cure, and to say its all just a case of chemical imbalance is to play straight into Pharma hand. So its like saying a man who fell of his motorbike and broke his leg is suffering with maladjusted infrastructure of the bone, no more no less. Not too helpful even though it may be factual. To contrast the African healer’s interpretation with the ever-expanding American DSM shouldn’t lead to his ridicule. Its uplifting to hear someone with a differently conscious view on it.

Peace.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 34

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I