Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=608&start_row=1

Martial arts

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Doctor Binghi Sent: 2/12/2005 12:27:33 PM

Greetings, Idren
I was curious to get some feedback from the I them about martial arts. I have studied capoeira for years, and have plans to open a school in the future (Jah willing). Does anyone have any advice or comments to offer about life as a Ras studying war? I know first hand, that what I do helps people as far as their health, and self protection. I know I am doing good as far as that. I also beleive that we as Jah's soldiers -must be healthy and ready for the earthly bickering leading to rapture. I feel almost a duty to help prepare my bredren -and help them survive hard times, but at the same time, I feel like I'm not helping the situation by adding what can be seen as more bickering. This seems like maybe a trivial subject to some, but to me this is troubling....... Any words of wisdom my brethren and sistren can offer I and I would be greatly appreciated and respected. Do we leave earthly war to Jah? Or is He counting on us as His front line?

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/12/2005 12:45:50 PM

Martial Arts are not war, they are peace. Boxing is war. Capoeira is not just self defense but also good excercise. And yes warriors will be needed, sooner rather than later. I bless you with all the power vested in me to go out and train warriors for the battle that must be won.

Messenger: def Sent: 2/12/2005 2:28:52 PM

BLESSED LOVE

GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS

A spiritual warrior.

Study war study peace.

Seek LOVE.

GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS

BLESSED LOVE

Messenger: the rock Sent: 2/12/2005 2:29:20 PM

truth

Messenger: Doctor Binghi Sent: 2/12/2005 2:33:34 PM

---Thank you for the words of encouragement. With your blessing, I got all excited, and felt compelled to go train, myself. Not everyone might agree, but I appreciate the reply anyway. I will do all I can to train people with the best of my ability, and try to give them only the most pure knowledge. Any other imput will be great, as I'm hoping to see this from both sides. Again, thank you.
---Maximum Raspect. Jah Love. Guidance. Selassie I

Messenger: def Sent: 2/12/2005 3:04:37 PM

BLESSED LOVE

GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS

The most important battle will be within.
Train well.

GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS

BLESSED LOVE

Messenger: Doctor Binghi Sent: 2/12/2005 3:13:46 PM

True I

Very good point. Of course ALL training, no matter how physical, is all mental at the higher levels. You have to know what you can do, then do more.. constantly.. or you cease to grow. When you realize the limitations on your body are very seldom physical, and usually never spiritual, you realize they can only be mental. After that, you can will yourself through any rigors this world can put you through. With Jah and a strong meditation, nothing can stop you.

The continued imput from the Idren warm my spirit. 'Nuf Thanks

Blessed love. Selassie I

Messenger: Doctor Binghi Sent: 2/12/2005 3:17:47 PM

To Empress Nzingha,

you said:

Martial Arts are not war, they are peace. Boxing is war. Capoeira is not just self defense but also good excercise. And yes warriors will be needed, sooner rather than later. I bless you with all the power vested in me to go out and train warriors for the battle that must be won.

-----The last part of your comment continues to inspire me. You can't even know how much. I promiss to do all I can to do so.

Blessed Love... Jah Bless...

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/14/2005 12:37:28 AM

Binghi, Martial arts can increase physical and mental abilities, discipline and spirituality.

When the whole package is taught then the outcome is good. So make sure discipline is included in the training. When I was a teenager I learned Shotokan Karate. When we trained, we trained with control over our fist so that even when sparring, we could come a very short distance from the body without making contact. This control enables a person to use their skills to the amount desired, not too little or too much, and also teaches control for more complicated strikes to pressure points.

It is also good to teach and train to use your Ki, the spiritual energy within I and I. This is a very important part of Martial Arts, but many today don't teach it. I remember when I was in my early teens, I could hold out my arm and even grown adults couldn't bend it at the elbow. My elbow wasn't locked, and to prove it, I didn't straighten out my arm completely but had a slight bend. I used the power of Ki to hold it, I felt no strain at all in my muscles. It was almost like my muscles weren't even holding my arm, it was just holding itself. Ki is a powerful ability.

And always remember to teach Love.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Doctor Binghi Sent: 2/14/2005 12:14:31 PM

definitely. things are easily confused in this way.
and yes, ki and chi (aslo spelled "qi") are the same, just as Zen and Chen are the same (just different cultures).. But also, in Chinese each word has 4 ways of pronouncing it -only difference being the tone of the voice. Each pronunciation gives the word a totally different meaning.

The power of Qi is nothing mystic... or very mystic, depending how you look at it. I tell a story a lot about how I was humbled by a small Asian guy... Long-story-short, He demonstrated an internal strike (used his qi) on me, and it literally (no exaguration) sent me flying several feet through the air. He simply put his hand on my chest... I didn't see him move or twitch (this was not Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch) but out of nowhere, it was like being hit by a car. This proved to me, that what I thought I knew, I didn't, and many of the years I spent training, were wasted on learning diluted, useless things, seen? Qi comes from, as I have been told, the body's correct allignment. By making your posture perfect, physics just does it's thing. Any power send down into the ground has a reverse effect that can be harnessed. (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) The example of the unbending arm just further demonstrates this. Also, if you tell a child to put their hand on their head, and not to let you pull it away... you can pick the child up by their arm, and you'd lift them off the ground before their hand would leave their head.
---I didn't mean to go on that long about that, but to anyone who is interested, I hope that was usefull.
--By the way, I really do respect it when control is used. You don't have to kill your opponent to win. If you've seen Jet Li's Hero, you'll notice several fights ending this way. Example: When Broken Sword fights the emperor, he wins by giving him a scratch, no deeper than a paper cut.. right on the side of his neck, directly on an artery. Other scenes show Jet Li hitting someone with the side of his sword instead of the blade. A compassionate warrior is the best kind. By far.

Thanks again, to all my Idren who comment on the martial arts. I and I love the feedback.

Maximum respect. Selassie I

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I