Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6046&start_row=1

Mulatto Privileges and/or disassociation from Black

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 35
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/6/2015 1:28:38 PM

Supm I kinda curious about, I hear of the Uptown/Downtown Kingston thing and wonder how prevalent it is today and how is it in other places be it d Islands on mainlands or d Mama Continent.

I ask because one of I cousins tell I dis weekend say weh he lives and works now there's a really noticeable three way segregation with the mulatto population having their own degrading word for Blacks. This is still in I state of Louisiana, I knew of it being a thing of years ago but didnt kno it still went on and he says it really strong in that city of over 100,000

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 4/6/2015 3:42:49 PM

What is Mulatto?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/6/2015 4:58:16 PM

Mulatto was/is a term used for "mixed race" ones especially African/European and descendants moreso those that carry the "mixed" physical traits; light skin, soft sluck hair, green gray blue eyes (S.A coloureds, JA brownings, socalled Louisiana creoles, etc...)Damian Marley and Obama would be mulatto like many other socalled black heroes given unto Africans in d US!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/6/2015 6:54:28 PM

Foolishness
Black is black
Or are we to start to reject the lighter skin brothers like MALCOLM or even His Majesty?

Jamaica mainly black. JAMAICA ghetto area mainly black but also light skin. Jamaica uptown mainly black but also light skin and white skin and chiney skin.

african is an african and done, anything else a willie lynch

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/6/2015 8:17:40 PM

No Iyah no rejection light skin from I or people weh I stay but wat I was wondering is how do d lightskin interact wit d darker Africans in such places. Do they se themselves as black? Do the darker blacks see them as blacks? Is there still or ever was such a devide? I hear of things being that way a generation or so ago and sometime still. I cousin say he tell d lightskin (mulatto) how is it they come to be lightskin because he say they act as if their history has nuttin to do with black kinda like they dont consider themselves black and refer to blacks as "nee'gah" or "shine"!
But to reject light skin is to reject the many of our Igbo and other ancestors and especially Fulani who can display the same look as "mix" or Arab type.

Messenger: Shasatabe Makonnen Sent: 4/6/2015 9:36:21 PM

*african is an african and done, anything else a willie lynch*

How I feel about the whole sitn

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 4/6/2015 10:11:56 PM

Yes I Lord VoodoRuutz. De I is right, de Mulatto do have privileges & many of dem do disassociate demselves from Black. Also many of dem do look down pon I & I Black people. I & I do see it ina mama land & have heared of stories dat it does heppen even over seas. De fact dat dem are considered Black doesn't eliminate de fact dat dem are more priviledged than Black & many of dem dis Black. One example over seas is de story of de Wailers. Anada is dat of Tiger Woods.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 4/6/2015 10:46:08 PM

In de Rasta movement I noticed dat some of de mixed race brothers tend to be in de fore-front in fighting against Black contiousness. Dis people l man talk about like to use de name of His Majesty to dis de very cause of de RASTA movement. One example here ina mamaland, a brother is said to have once told Idrens in a RASTA concregation to stop chanting de chant "One Black Love". I even noticed dat he would try to substitute de word black with Rasta in chants. Yes I Vooodoruutz, it is real

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/6/2015 11:38:51 PM

Gi Thanks Black Heart I, as I wasnt on da way ones site d thing but experience and d reality of dis thing. I live in an area where majority a d people are medium to dark brown but a neighboring parish has a very high percentage of lightskin yellow redbone or watever but everybody cool and go as black and they marry eachother but tell mi say older generations wasnt so cool atleast d lightskin side looked down on the darker ones and some still do. I was involvedv with a very dark sister who was forced to b a single mom cuz d light skin father's family didnt want him with a dark sister, they are from dat neighboring parish. I jus never really been thru dat area where my cousin now lives and works so dat was a lil strange to and him as to d degree he ecplained it is in dat city.

Blessed to ALL and yes Black Black

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/7/2015 6:33:53 AM

Not one thing black heart has said isn't being done by dark skin brothers

It's more about whether or not black people of any hue accept and identify with their culturE. Lost Ethiopians.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 35

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I