Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6004&start_row=1

Science and Spirit

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/19/2015 4:27:41 PM

Deepak Chopra being interviewed by Richard Dawkins.

I wanted to bring this forward as I was recommended Richard Dawkins book ‘The God Delusion’ by one of I family (I didn’t read it but researched him a bit), I know where he is coming from but can see that he is stuck there. The world view Deepak Chopra presents in the video includes spirit, the unknowable and non-duality or oneness, which are not quantitatively measurable. Some say that science is permanent, definite knowledge, neutral, provable by demonstration but I find it troublesome that the knowledge that the knights of babylon are at the forefront of is considered the cutting edge – the height of all human thinking. Its an aspect where babylon have power, again, through resources, economics, law, but the driving ideology doesn’t have to be replicated in order to benefit from the knowledge. Those who benefit from a certain scientific viewpoint aren’t likely to leave their mind open anything that starts with a viewpoint that would shatter the ground they stand on, they would rather mock and patronise it to acquire a safe distance from it.
Science doesn’t understand consciousness, and sees it as originating in a brain, yet the brain and the body are one entity (many systems…one entity), and the body exists in an environment with which it interacts, inseparable other than in theory.

Jah lives. Give thanks for life.
Haile higher I Selassie I.

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 2/19/2015 5:45:36 PM

Thanks for sharing Sister

I find Richard Dawkins frustrating, and I am a big advocate for science. The 'God' that he so adamantly attacks is a God that most sensible people don't believe in. He attacks the fundamentalist and literal interpretations of evangelical white christians, and generalizes that version of God to all forms of religion or spirituality. His whole platform is a straw-man argument...meaning he builds up 'God' with straw so that he can easily knock it down. His entire argument is that there is no proof for some sentient deity who lives in the sky and passes out moral judgement on humans and interferes with life on Earth. I don't think anyone in their right mind believes that's what God is...of course there is no proof for some made-up being that is entirely irrelevant to anything. But who says that is the only way which one can conceive of God? His whole reasoning just seems close-minded and infantile.

I think science and spirituality should compliment one another, not oppose. Both science and religion are tools for engaging the Mystery of life and explaining it with the methods available to a specific culture. Science and religion are just different methods; religion uses language and metaphor to explain the Mystery because people did not have the tools or vocabulary to engage any other way. Now the predominant worldview is projected through the lens of science, and we have different words for the same concepts. Like any religion, science is ever evolving and is not static, nor is it perfect. Simply because we don't have the current scientific vocabulary to explain Jah or Spirit does not mean we should dismiss them as fantasy. The fact that any of us exist at all is a testament to the direct imminence of the Mystery. While I believe science to be an incredibly valuable tool for understanding our place in Reality, I think it is important to keep an open mind and not conform to dominant static worldviews such as the increasingly popular atheistic and materialist perspective that now dominates science. To I that sort of mentality is nothing short of dogma, and atheistic materialism has become just another limiting and dogmatic religion like all of those before it. It is unfortunate to say the least. Science can benefit humanity so much and yet it is limited and restricted by the wicked to be used for their own interest. Imagine what we could know of Jah's Creation.

Someone on another forum I like to frequent used an analogy that I really like. Let's say you have a really bad headache that won't go away. Nothing the I does seems to help. You turn to others for advice so they look at your head and do all sorts of tests on it. After a while they say that they've learned all about your headache. They can explain why it hurts so much and what parts of your head are most affected. They can predict how much longer it will last and they can even tell you that they think they've found the origin of the headache. They tell you that the pain you're feeling is actually just neurons firing in a specific pattern and your brain interprets that pattern as "pain". All of that is great, but no amount of explaining changes the fact that you have a headache and it hurts. The experience is still the same. You may understand how a headache works, know where it came from, and analyze it to bits; but no matter how hard you try you cannot explain away the subjective phenomena of having a headache. A headache is a headache is a headache regardless of the words you use to describe its features...and so it is with Jah.

Thanks again, Sister

JAH Rastafari
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/19/2015 8:26:05 PM

Imhotep, scientist sugreon and priest

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 2/20/2015 4:36:54 PM

REAL Spirituality a one with science, it deals with nature's forces

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 2/20/2015 8:40:44 PM

True GA and VDR knowledge is knowledge without division

Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/21/2015 4:46:33 AM

So if spirituality includes knowledge called science, why cant / doesnt Science include spirituality? There may have been men past that have encompassed it all in Egypt, Greece etc but the world we live in doesnt for the majority and to the detriment of humanity. To I its another maninfestation of babylon mind.
Seek out all corners of babylon mind and shine a flame.
Jah guide I&I.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/21/2015 4:56:42 AM

Sis, it really depends on which 'scientist' you are dealing with. And which of the sciences. When you have a little overstanding of both, and an open mind you can EASILY make the correlation between science and spirituality. You mention Greeks and Kemetyu but the science of astronomy for example isnt an ancient thing, its still here today. If MrWickedScientist cannot see the divinity within nature with the observation of the astral planes then thats for him...... but InI can use the advances in science to further strengthen our insight into certain principles which InI know to be in nature.

Sometimes the division doesn't even make sense. For example people who burn science YET deal with metaphysics? People who don't eat meat but refuse to deal with the science into WHY it is bad for you.....People who deal with culture but don't overstand social science....... on and on.

Strictly speaking, if you observe something....anything.... in nature. And you record which variables you have or need to make the same thing you had observed manifest again. That is the definition of science. How can ones claim consciousness and not agree with the observation of nature.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/21/2015 1:29:39 PM

True, why not observe nature, inner and outer, we have the consciousness to do so. Without consciousness there would be no reason to stop at observing the stars but own them. Without it we are flesh originating from flesh, observing the universe from our brain-eyes, not even knowing ourselves to be a part of it.
Jah bless.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 2/21/2015 2:08:20 PM

Greetings.

I feel that the InnerVerse is just as expansive and 'mysterious' as the UniVerse.. Knowledge of both advances practice in both.

Praises for Reasoning!
One Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/21/2015 5:27:05 PM

Exactly. The two augment each other. And encourage the critical reevaluation into preconceived definitions of things like God, religion and spirituality. Hail RasTafari. Anything else is ignorance.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I