Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6004&start_row=81

Science and Spirit

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: cy6erlion Sent: 3/21/2019 7:20:47 AM

Yes I Nesta, in the beginning was the word, the word was Jah, the word is in I Jah is in I, Selah See Eye.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/24/2019 10:19:11 PM

In the beginning was the word? What does this even mean. Christian rhetoric jibberish is way too rife. The very word breathe even had an etymology tracing back to the word spirit such as breath of life / spirit of life. All bible. Genesis I and II are among the most basic and erroneous origin cosmologies in ancient history. Yet we just can't get over.

In the beginning was the energy
In the beginning was the single RNA strand
In the beginning was the prokaryote
In the beginning was InI
In the beginning was Ra and the primordial waters
In the beginning was I mother and father
In the beginning was no religion no Jesus
In the beginning was King Ori
In the beginning was BLACKNESS

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/25/2019 5:21:13 AM

SPEAK LIFE brothah Garveys!!!!

ASÉ-O!!!!!!

RASTAFARI

Messenger: Cedric Sent: 3/29/2022 10:24:42 PM

-The natural origin of every man being man himself and thus equal through creation, the only difference lies in the opportunities made available. Nowadays, science has made possible complex inventions which are put at the service of man. Yet, however precise these instruments, including computers, may be in their service, they obviously lack those perfecting human characteristics of sympathy, goodness, generosity and selflessness – all of which God in His ultimate wisdom granted only to human beings. Although man has found assistance for himself in these machines, his superiority lies in the fact that he is their inventor and he himself is the instrument of God.-
HIM Haile Selassie I, September 2nd, 1965 Page 620 Selected Speeches of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I

PS let InI remember HIM Haile Selassie I would not have used the word "god" in his original speech, as the text of this speech was translated to english from Amharic

HIM Haile Selassie I Show InI Truth

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 3/30/2022 2:33:28 PM

Not to distract from your meaning but I must say that I've seen animals with more sympathy, generosity, and selflessness than I have seen in many humans.

These characteristics are developed in nature.

Proverbs 6 says "go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be waise."

Matthew 10:16 tells his followers to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Some animals species are individualistic while others are a part of a hive, pride, flock, or other forms of community.

Once your survival is intertwined and dependent then it forces cooperation. We can cooperate out of a sense of love or fear. Children develop love for their parents before they ever really know what love is because it evolves from that relationship of the parent taking care of the child. Some animals fight to protect their children which develops different characteristics that they don't have the language to express. But the more one sees themselves as part of the whole/collective, the more that advanced empathy and selflessness develop. But they are not a virtue of humanity. They are a virtue of connectivity.

The struggle against corruption vs the power we are able to obtain... that is the central battle, the internal one, of all major religions.

Messenger: Cedric Sent: 3/30/2022 5:55:08 PM

IPXninja TO distract from your meaning I wasn't trying to reason about if emotions exist in animals or if human characteristics can be found evidenced in other parts of nature. I sighted that quote because I thought it related to the topic of Science and Spirit, and how I see technology can be used as a tool to benefit humanity but ultimately it is up to a human to bring the characteristics of "sympathy, goodness, generosity and selflessness" to every medium or tool InI work with.

I man about to get PTSD from a reasoning session between InI empress about if dolphins or whales should be thought of as conscious beings haha JAH know. PS the answer is just say yes they are

Empress Menen I & HIM Haile Selassie I Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/31/2022 5:11:17 AM

That reasoning I would enjoy bro Cedric lol. Especially when we move past the idea of dolphin intelligence to the idea of animism and the spirit within that rock over there...

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 3/31/2022 10:41:42 AM

@Cedric

You're right. And unfortunately, I think that's where we get in trouble because every human being doesn't come with the same range of emotions or moral fortitude.

So yes, some science is used for good, others for evil. I just depends on the who. I think if dolphins could do science we might be better off.

At the same time you have an extra layer of complexity because a man might build an atomic bomb while someone else can take the same research and figure out how to turn it into energy to power homes.

But this same... "energy" that animates scientists and can be used for good or evil... I really hope we get to the point in our own individual spiritual journeys to understand that same spirit exists in many different circumstances.

So while some people demonize an entire profession, field of study, government, etc. etc. they're often so busy pointing fingers at others that they don't realize its not about the profession. It's not about the structures that humans organize into. It's not about what color people are. It's about the person. It's about how that person handles POWER. It's about the forbidden fruit. It's about the choices we make as individuals to be righteous or wicked, to care about others or to only care about ourselves.

Because as long as we blame the symptoms on other symptoms... we will always miss the fundamental cause. And if you cannot treat the cause you will simply have different symptoms.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 3/31/2022 11:00:04 AM

The loss of life over resources (especially oil) has been incredible. It's like we invent something that improves our survival and we profit and eventually we value the invention over naturally priceless human life. So I UNDERSTAND the rastas who turn away from new inventions. It makes sense. And yet, you can't really rewind back to not having any inventions at all.

It's not a coincidence that the forbidden fruit was knowledge. Could they have lived forever in ignorance? Maybe. But they would have never been like God. And is God somehow wrong for being omniscient? Of course not. But its all about knowledge being balanced by wisdom and understanding and love.

When was the sword invented?

My father passed away years ago but I still have his machete. It was his dream to retire back to the island and live back in the country where he was born (Wheelerfield, St. Thomas). It's old and rusty but when I look at it I don't see a weapon. I can imagine my father going up the mountain behind his house, up to the garden he had, and using that machete to grow callaloo.

When many people think of a machete their first thought is of a weapon that kills people. Samurai were often just farmers who learned how to fight with the same tools they used in the field.

These were also early scientific inventions. Money is an invention too. Mel may have misinterpreted Mark 7 but it's still correct. Where have we gotten by demonizing "things"? I'm not a huge fan of guns because I prefer swords but I can't ignore the fact that it is a tool that can be used for offense or defense. But it's not the gun that shoots. It's the person. It's always the person.

So when we become and create better people, then naturally all of our inventions will be used for better reasons.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I