Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5969&start_row=1

Holidays

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/23/2015 3:40:09 AM

Dear All,

I recently had a conversation with my mom about this, and wanted to know other people's take on these.

I grew up in a school where many teachers would have 51 weeks of torture (which they actually admitted to), for 1 week of supposed paradise per year.

It made me very sad for those people, because, I suppose that they were looking for joy in things which money bought them rather than looking for the joy within themselves, because I am sure that those teachers were not in full consciousness.

However, my mom made the point that holidays are a fantastic opportunity to meet new cultures and widen your view of the world. In response, I said that he who journeys within himself travels the world, talking about the awakening of the original consciousness.

What makes me most sad is the people who are not conscious and spend thousnads of pounds as a means of "escape". My take on this is that they may be able to run away from a situation, but they can't run away from themselves, and whatever problems they have, they carry with them to the new but physically different location.

However, my mom made the point that she has always really enjoyed holidays, and that nothing would take her joy of them away.

-----------------------------------

In the end, we reached the understanding that, in my opinion, it is wrong when someone uses holidays as a SUBSTITUTE for the joy that they would find within themselves, but when a person wishes to see a new place but isn't using it as a replacement for everyday joy then this is OK.

I was wondering others opinions on this, because when I was younger I always had a deep sense of sadness on holidays, not because I was ungrateful, but because, as I can see it now it seems that my parents thought that you could buy happiness, rather than make it.

My sadness was due to the fact that we are almost trained to find happiness in monetary things rather than finding happiness in the soul. Because when a person is on holiday, they do not leave the issues with their soul behind them: they take them with them.

Me, I will always find happiness in my soul, but what do others think of this?

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 1/23/2015 5:33:59 AM

What do InI think? What did Jah think?

For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. BE NOT AFRAID OF THEM; FOR THEY CANNOT DO EVIL, neither also is it in them to do good.
(Jer 10:3-5)

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 1/23/2015 9:15:27 AM

Dat verse seems mistranslated, from study of it a while back dealing with the hebrew it
was really dealing wit carving idols hince "they SPEAK not" not the tree itself liking it to d christmess tree.

From dat verse and others tho many African custom are vain also, but interestingly I talked to a Fulani lady about her facial markings and she seemed not to have clue about what they are for just dat everybody has dem!

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 9/23/2015 9:09:38 AM

The problem with some holidays is the religious connection.
I dont see nothing wrong with celebration and livin up I just dont relate it to religious events.Like christmas,we can have a good time with friends and party but dont have to think about jesus.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/23/2015 9:28:59 AM

~Yes money can be used as a vessel for happiness. Not saying you can't have one without the other.

Give thankhs for holidays. Although plane prices need to drop

Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 9/23/2015 1:03:33 PM

I and I seh

March 25 – The birthday of Empress Menen I

April 21 – The anniversary of Haile Selassie's visit to Jamaica (Grounation Day)

May 25 – African Liberation Day

June 16 - The birthday of Leonard P. Howell

July 23 – The birthday of Emperor Haile Selassie

August 17 – The birthday of Marcus Garvey

September 11 – Ethiopian New Year

November 2 – The coronation of Haile Selassie

Give Thanhks for Holi days

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I