Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5913&start_row=1

Cultural Appropriation & Why It's Wrong - article

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/7/2014 6:16:44 AM

A good read. See this in everything from reggae to rasta

The United States has long been known as a melting pot and, more recently, as a salad bowl. Because people from hundreds of different ethnic backgrounds make up the nation’s population, it’s not surprising that at times cultural groups rub off on each other. Americans who grow up in diverse communities may pick up the dialect, customs and religious traditions of the cultural groups that surround them.

Cultural appropriation is an entirely different matter, however. It has little to do with one’s exposure to and familiarity with different cultures. Instead, cultural appropriation typically involves members of a dominant group exploiting the culture of less privileged groups--often with little understanding of the latter’s history, experience and traditions. Accordingly, socially aware people tend to frown upon this phenomenon.

Defining Cultural Appropriation

Susan Scafidi, a law professor at Fordham University, told Jezebel.com that it’s difficult to give a concise explanation of cultural appropriation. The author of Who Owns Culture? Appropriation and Authenticity in American Law, defined cultural appropriation as follows:

“Taking intellectual property, traditional knowledge, cultural expressions, or artifacts from someone else's culture without permission. This can include unauthorized use of another culture's dance, dress, music, language, folklore, cuisine, traditional medicine, religious symbols, etc. It's most likely to be harmful when the source community is a minority group that has been oppressed or exploited in other ways or when the object of appropriation is particularly sensitive, e.g. sacred objects.”

In the United States, cultural appropriation almost always involves members of the dominant culture (or those who identify with it) “borrowing” from the cultures of minority groups. African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans and indigenous peoples generally tend to emerge as the groups targeted for cultural appropriation. Black music and dance, Native American fashions, decorations and cultural symbols, and Asian martial arts and dress have all fallen prey to cultural appropriation.

“Borrowing” is a key component of cultural appropriation. In the 1950s, for example, white musicians borrowed the musical stylings of their black counterparts. Because African Americans weren’t widely accepted in U.S. society at that time, record executives chose to have white recording artists replicate the sound of black musicians. This led to musical forms such as rock-n-roll being largely associated with whites in spite of the fact that black musicians were pioneers of the artform. This move also had financial consequences, as many of the black musicians who helped pave the way for rock-n-roll’s success never saw a dime for their contributions to the music form.

In the late 20th century and early 21st century, cultural appropriation remains a concern. Musicians such as Madonna, Gwen Stefani and Miley Cyrus have all been accused of cultural appropriation. Madonna, for instance, popularized the form of personal expression known as voguing, which began in black and Latino sectors of the gay community. Madonna has also used Latin America as a backdrop in a music video and appeared in attire with roots in Asia, as has Gwen Stefani who faced criticism for her fixation on Harajuku culture from Japan.

In 2013, Miley Cyrus became the pop star most associated with cultural appropriation. During recorded and live performances, the former child star began to twerk, a dance style with roots in African-American culture. Writer Hadley Freeman of The Guardian particularly took issue with Cyrus’ tweeking at the MTV Video Music Awards in August 2013. “On stage as well as in her video she used the tedious trope of having black women as her backing singers, there only to be fondled by her and to admire her wiggling derriere,” Freeman pointed out. “Cyrus is explicitly imitating crunk music videos and the sort of hip-hop she finds so edgy – she has said, bless her, that she feels she is Lil' Kim inside and she loves ‘hood music’ – and the effect was not of a homage but of a minstrel show, with a young wealthy woman from the South doing a garish imitation of black music and reducing black dancers to background fodder and black women to exaggerated sex objects.”

Why Cultural Appropriation Is a Problem

Cultural appropriation remains a concern for a variety of reasons. For one, this sort of “borrowing” is exploitative because it robs minority groups of the credit they deserve. Art forms, music forms, etc., that originated with minority groups come to be associated with members of the dominant group. As a result the dominant group is deemed innovative and edgy, while the disadvantaged groups they “borrow” from continue to face negative stereotypes that imply they’re lacking in intelligence, creativity and more. In addition, when members of a dominant group appropriate the cultures of others, they often reinforce stereotypes about minority groups.

When singer Katy Perry performed as a geisha at the American Music Awards in November 2013, she described it as an homage to Asian culture. Asian Americans disagreed with this assessment, declaring her performance “yellowface.” The Wall Street Journal’s Jeff Yang said that her performance did not celebrate Asian culture but misrepresented it entirely. He found it particularly problematic that Perry dressed as a geisha to perform the song “Unconditonally” about a woman who pledges to love her man no matter what.

“The thing is, while a bucket of toner can strip the geisha makeup off of Perry’s face, nothing can remove the demeaning and harmful iconography of the lotus blossom from the West’s perception of Asian women — a stereotype that presents them as servile, passive,” Yang wrote, “and as Perry would have it, ‘unconditional’ worshippers of their men, willing to pay any price and weather any kind of abuse in order to keep him happy.”

Nico Lang, a guest blogger for the Los Angeles Times, pointed out in a post that cultural appropriation highlights the power imbalance that remains between those in power and those who’ve been historically marginalized. As such, a member of a dominant group can assume the traditional dress of a minority group for a Halloween party, a music performance and so on. Yet, they remain blissfully unaware of the roots of such dress and the challenges those who originated have faced in Western culture.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 12/7/2014 12:39:12 PM

See this in Louisiana with the local culture.
In the US Louisiana has a unique food culture but is similar to the Gullah/Geechee food culture of the Carolina/Georgia coast created by Africans and is respected as such, NOT Louisiana tho. Here just about everything is accredited to white Frenchmen and their mulatto African offspring but hardly ever to the more obviously Africans who created much of the culture from the first.

Here "GUMBO" a purely African word for Okra (another African word) which is the main ingredient of Gumbo is accredited to Cajun culture or sometime to Creole (white or mulatto) French descendants but never to the more Black Africans!
It's the same with Jambalaya, Dirty Rice and Redbeans&rice which any person from Africa or Caribean Island would find an almost exact dish from their respective country but yet here the Black is given any credit

Even with a Louisiana home grown musical style known as "Zydeco" a socall "creole" music but it is traditionally sung in the creole language is kinda marketed as Cajun music but is the music of Black and Mulatto "Creole Speakers"

Even the "Creole Language" is sort of take a back seat to "Cajun French" which is the French of Nova Scotian exiles while "Creole" was brought over from "Goree Usland Senegal" and tweeked by Haitians yet the language is mainly spoken by mulattoes and whites who speak a more standard French

Even the term "Creole" originally referring to African kids born outside Africa to African born to African parents now referr to whites and near white mulattos who didn't/don't care much for the darker population!

There is even such a socall ethnic dialect call "Y'at" in the New Orleans area where certain local whites have an almost New Yorkish/Boston sounding accent but the term was coined in the 1950's because of a greeting visitors heard there where people would say "Where Y'at" (where you at) meaning how are you doing or what's up while the oldest blacks I knew growing would be over 100 now had this same greeting and still used today about 60 miles outside that area. They even give "Who Dat" a pure d African dialectal idiom to Y'at.

The sad part a majority of Blacks but into this tiefing!
Dey got black owned resturants calling deyself "Cajun dis or dat" but it sells I guess!

Messenger: empress latrice Sent: 12/8/2014 8:48:35 AM

I love new Orleans. I now know more about it as well. I always get good positive vibes when I'm there, maybe because of the culture too.

I'm not racist, but would white Rastafarians be considered cultural appropriation? I know the way of life is meant to love all. I chat with someone about the same things on the other social network and she says "How possible is it that whites want to embrace this way of life when the way of life is for blacks and black oppression, black empowerment" she says how can they join and talk down their own people. She also talks about their "dreadlocks" and compares their hair texture to our natural hair and states their hair isn't meant for dreading. These points do make sense, but I don't want to be harsh about it

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 12/8/2014 2:05:52 PM

Maybe d Impress could look into a move down deh, got roots culture goin on deh so might not feel as out a place got Rasta and other African centered groups deh. I Iself Itemplating a move deh but also wan keep I spot ina country weh I at now but like minds are far far and few.

Messenger: empress latrice Sent: 12/8/2014 7:29:48 PM

I've visited twice. My other half doesn't like the idea of moving there, because of jobs and not being as fun as visiting. He isn't as excited about it as I am, but it's only 2 hours from where I am

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 12/8/2014 7:59:19 PM

Overstand Impress! Dont know what type of work d other half does but the areas around/outside da city all da way up to Baton Rouge is booming with well paying jobs die to maybe hundreds of Chemical plants and oil/gas refineries on both sides da river. They say it's prolly da place in da country to be during recession. There's hotels popping everywhere getting there ends off the many many people coming yah to work right now.

Blessed HAILE I GuIdInce!!!

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 12/9/2014 12:04:43 PM

People like to take take take but nah give.

It's easy to take sum positive vibes and culture from Rastafari

But to work and till the ground to bring forth culture takes work

They harvest what they don't plant

So if Rasta culture gives you a seed be sure the fruits of that seed are offered back to Rasta culture.

Yes Rastafari gave I a seed, yes there is positivity in me and I'm goin keep feeding it. And when this positivity grows and overflows will let it pour back nto the ground that Rastafari seed came from, the fruit of I labors must be offered to InI JAH Rastafari.culture, I am here to Rasceive from Rastafari and give back , the movement blessed I so I must return the blessing manyfold!

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 12/9/2014 12:10:03 PM

Matthew 25:14-30 

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/19/2014 3:07:15 PM

Bigup Jesse

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/14/2015 9:33:18 AM

For all keeping up to date on the outrage surrounding cultural appropriation and rap music with Iggy azalea and such...

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/06/whites_in_hip_hop_why_music_by_iggy_azalea_and_others_is_so_popular_and.html

http://mediadiversified.org/2013/08/26/iggy-azalea-the-vmas2013-and-a-culture-of-appropriation/

How is matisyaru gentleman or Alborosie any different?

Big uproar because dem things start happen in hip hop but dem thing beeeen in reggae from how long?!

Then people will say well isn't music for everyone? Well yes, but when your putting on accents, using dialect culture and imagery that is foreign to you to do so, in order to gain economic prowess based off the shock value more than genuine talent..... and that same demographic which is being imitated continues to suffer..... Yes, it is a problem.

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I