Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5853&start_row=1

"Youth Wants to Know" Haile Selassie I

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 10/9/2014 12:58:22 PM

Emperor Haile Selassie I appeared on the television show "Youth Wants to Know" on May 30th, 1954 during his first State Visit to the US. This is the full audio broadcast of that program.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 10/9/2014 5:13:03 PM

Give thanks King BLACK CHRIST SALVATION.
Iman found this in another thread about this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Program> Youth Wants to Know. NBC May 30 1954 Guest> His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I with Mr Idnekachew as Interpreter Questions fielded by students and moderated by a Moderator

Q.> Your Majesty, what is the purpose of your visit to the United States

H.I.M.> As we know that the government and people of America have done good things for the whole world, we have many times wished to see with our own eyes, and this is the main purpose of our visit.

Q.> Does Ethiopia encourage its student to go abroad to study?

H.I.M. > Before and after the enemies came to our country, one of the (priorities) works that we have put first, is to send the youths of Ethiopia to go abroad for studying.

Q> Emperor, You recently made a statement encouraging American scientists to come to Ethiopia and study its natural resources. Does Ethiopia encourage its own students to go into the field of science?

H.I.M> . As we have ,as much as is possible, made it so that the Americans can help us with all their technical expertise which is necessary, in the same manner, if the children of Ethiopia should follow this example and study and help their country, this would please us.

Q >. Your Majesty , what courses will be offered at your university when it is completed

H.I.M. > What has been started now....in our country?

Mr Idnekachew.> yes

H.I.M.> When the university that has been started now is finished,we plan to include all the various medical, science and all the subjects that are available in all the universities in foreign countries

Q> Does your government function along the lines of the English parliament system or more like the American system ?

H.I.M.> When we gave our constitution to our people of our own will for the first time, we have taken from all other nations constitutions, and made a constitution that suits best our country. Even now, what we plan for its fulfillment is to administer the government in such a manner that it will become the true democracy.

Q> what is the most important thing that small countries can do for the promotion of world peace?

H.I.M.> World peace will be achieved when the work that has now been started with the UN is continued with great effort and when the selfishness of mankind ends.

Q> Emperor Selassie , if the United Nations sends troops to Indochina, will Ethiopia send a delegation also?

H.I.M.> We have made collective security our policy. Whoever it might be that commits aggression, we will not fail give our help to collective security

Moderator > Mr, Idnekachew, im sure that His Majesty would perhaps like to tell our boys and girls that your troops did participate in the Korean conflict, is that not true?

H.I.M.> If they ask me, I would be pleased.

Q> Your majesty, as a member of the UN, do you think it is accomplishing its purpose?

H.I.M.> The United Nations, has upto now performed well, Even now and in the future, we put our hopes in that the the efforts of the UN will help world peace to reach up to a good and blessed stage.

Q> Your majesty, why has your country been so successful in promoting your economic expansion when other countries are finding it so difficult ?

H.I.M.> Ethiopia is a country that possesses, in whatever it may be, great resources. So, in order to develop her sources of wealth we correspond with American enterprises, and Ethiopia intends to develop and improve its wealth. Her wealth is such that it will indeed expand her economy

Q> Will this new discovery of uranium in your country go a long way towards promoting a better economy ?

H.I.M.> The first signs have been discovered and it will be further explored to see how much this can provide. By this discovery, i hope that the economy of my country will be improved

Q> Emperor Selassie, i would like to know, in what manner is Ethiopia been successful in encouraging the investment of foreign capital.?

H.I.M.> Ethiopia encourages the investment of foreign capital in order to expand the wealth of the country. We expand our economy in order to achieve all the things necessary for the lives of our people.

Q> Your majesty, are you looking for united states aid to help develop your public utility system

H.I.M.> We earnestly hope that the US will, as it has begun, continue to aid us, whether it be with education or the health of the people

Q> Emperor Selassie, i want to know if Ethiopia has actually signed a 99 year pact with the US for military bases ?

H.I.M.> It is indeed true that Ethiopia has signed a 99 year pact with the United States

Q> Your majesty, i would like to know, would Ethiopia join in a collective security pact with other near east and African nations.

H.I.M.> Ethiopia will aid the security collective. Cooperation with other governments is now in the planning stages

Q> Your majesty do you think that free nations like Ethiopia and the US can stay free by acting together to stop aggressors?

H.I.M.> Small, free governments, while doing all they can for their own countries, by cooperating with other larger countries, it is our hope that they can preserve their freedom

Q> Do you think there will be another world war?

H.I.M.> To prophesy about this is a bit difficult, but we hope it wont arise

Q> Your majesty, what was your first impression of the United States ?

H.I.M.> We are thankful to get to see this great people. Besides that, the works the have been made here are more advanced than in other countries

Q> Your majesty, since your arrival in the United States, have you sampled an American milkshake?

H.I.M.> I have not tried it since arriving here, but, i have tried it at the military base in Eritrea and enjoyed it very much.

Q> Your majesty, I would like to know how far back you can trace your ancestry ?

H.I.M.> It is possible to count from Menelik, the first born of Solomon.

Q> Your majesty, I would like to know what kind of a climate you have in Ethiopia.?

H.I.M.> It would please me very much if you could witness my country for yourself. The life climate of my country varies from cool in the highs to warm in the low, and is suitable and pleasant for human life..

Q> Your majesty, does Ethiopia have professional athletic teams as we do in the United States ?

H.I.M.> This has been started well enough, as we can see from the performance of Ethiopian children in their athletic endaevors in Yugoslavia, Greece and Egypt

Q> Your majesty how do you think the supreme courts decision to ban segregation will affect Americas prestige in the world at large?

Mr Idnekachew to His Majesty > This is their own internal affairs

His Majesty> Hmm

Moderator> May i point out that, necessarily, we do not want to embarrass anyone in discussing our own domestic politics, so if its ???? that way, its perfectly alright

H.I.M.> We are pleased that the United States government has passed this law. We declare that this decision by the United States government was the right decision .

Q> Your majesty, i would like to know what attractions there are for tourists in Ethiopia ?

H.I.M.> It is possible for them to see many things in our country, such as, if the want wildlife or if they want nature, they can go to many different places and see all these to their hearts content

Q> Your majesty, in a proclamation made in 1952, you stated your intention of distributing the unused land in your country among the landless. What has been accomplished towards this?

H.I.M.> It is not merely proclaiming. Even before i came here to America, after making the proclamation, we have already begun the distribution of land, and many people have already received land

Q> Your majesty , what is the principal means of transportation in Ethiopia?

H.I.M.> Trains, automobiles, we dont have enough but, we do have

Q> Emperor Selassie, do the young peoplel of Ethiopia receive the major part of their education in church schools or public schools.?

H.I.M.> Many youngsters will first do as much as they can in the church schools, besides that, they can study various things in secular schools

Q> Is there any tuition which has to be paid for attending school ?

H.I.M.> There are both free schools and schools with tuition fees

Q> Your majesty, what is the highest degree one can achieve in your country?

H.I.M.> The highest available at this time is the college diploma. In the future, the University that we are building will be arranged so that all necessary degrees can be available

Q> Your majesty, i would like to know, what do you think of our own educational facilities our schools and colleges

H.I.M.> In the future, we will visit some of the various schools and colleges here. We were pleasantly impressed by the one that we visited yesterday, Harvard university

Moderator> Mr.Idnekachew, i wonder if , before finishing our program, if His Majesty would care to pass along a word of advice to our young boys and girls since he has had such a broad and varied experience.

H.I.M.> The American people have shown through various works that they love not only themselves but other free peoples also, and so, there is nothing more that i can tell the children and the prominent people of America other than to continue and fulfill their good will to mankind. As the people of the world search for peace, if America would continue to fulfill this, it would give hope for world peace to manifest. There is no better remedy to prevent the coming generations from facing the same troubles that faced our forefathers

-------------------------------------------------

PRAISE JAH!

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 10/9/2014 8:59:52 PM

Give Thanks My Lord

Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I Jah RasTafarI

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I