Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5774&start_row=1

Eating with the hand

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 8/9/2014 11:37:12 PM

give thanks and ises to most high for ones who have culture.

Through observance it is clear that the hand(especially the right hand)is used in place of cutlery in Africa and Asian cultures. just focussing on Ethiopia one can see how the hand is used with injera. Iman usually eats with a spoon but I tried the hand thing out and it was weird but refreshing mentally aswell. As many of InI eat with utensils I would like to ask if the Is see the eating with the hand as primitive, backwards and uncivilised or something we should be incorporating into our levity, in a sense nutritional repatriation.

also do any of the I know why it is the right hand that is used?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 8/10/2014 3:26:25 AM

One thing seems certain hands are the first utensils used and most people are right handed!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/10/2014 8:27:07 AM

The Incients invented the fork although they used it only to cook
The Incients invented the spoon and used as a utensil to eat with
But there was also evidence that some did eat with their hands

With that being said, I don't think it really matters. We invented utensils to eat with, we originated hands to eat with. Up to the I. I have no problem using utensils and don't sight it as any compromise of I cultural reparations. Seen? But if you choose to use the hand thats OK, like if in Ghana and eating a Fufu dish. But don't tell I utensil is a babylon thing......

I found this good reference for the actual DIET of the Incients too. Mainly veggie with a likkle fish (wha dat sound like??). Blessed

http://www.insidescience.org/content/what-did-ancient-egyptians-really-eat/1630

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/10/2014 8:31:04 AM

Also, I'm sure the Emperor didn't eat with his hands....

I think it more of a MUSLIM thing still. Remember almost half of Ethiopia are Muslim. And they use the right hand over the left I thought because one hand was used for 'toiletry hygeine' and the other to eat/greet with. Check this:

"In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Umar ibn Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O young boy, say the name of Allaah and eat with your right hand, and eat from what is nearest to you.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5376) and Muslim (2022).

In Saheeh Muslim (2021) it is narrated that a man ate with his left hand in the presence of the Messenger of Allaah (S). He said: “Eat with your right hand.” He said: I cannot. He said: “May you never be able to,” for nothing was preventing him from doing so but arrogance. And he never raised it to his mouth again.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed against him so that what he claimed of not being able to do it would come true, because he was too arrogant to follow the truth and he did not observe proper etiquette with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and his excuse was a lie, and lying to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is not like lying to anyone else.

In Sunan Abi Dawood (33) it is narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The right hand of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was for his purification and food, and his left hand was for using the toilet and anything that was dirty. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood. "

"The most likely origin for the right hand/left hand rule lies in the Arab nomadic world: in the desert, soap and water were not readily available and sand was the only cleaning material. It was a logical decision to reserve one hand for the most hygienic activities such as food preparation, and one for less clean purposes."

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 8/10/2014 1:41:47 PM

Give Ises for this subject.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 8/10/2014 1:41:48 PM

Yes I, I actually agree with Garvey's Africa.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 8/10/2014 2:32:51 PM

King 'PEGGY' of Ghana says in 'Her' village the people don't eat meat just a lil fish and in a lot of villages it's like dat and some dat do eat meat it ain't much. She said in response to a question about diaspora Africans want mentally repatriate! Dats right I did say She & Her in reference to d King!
''King Peggy of Ghana.mov'' on YouTube!

Love d Spoon craft too, Big Up d Incients!

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 8/12/2014 2:03:19 PM

"Iman usually eats with a
spoon but I tried the hand thing out
and it was weird but refreshing
mentally aswell. "

LOL....Iman surprised to read this...you dont know how common it is here to eat with hands.Its like how you see the sun rise from the East and set to the west

Its so natural

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I