Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5757&start_row=11

Wondering if any of the rasta brethren are in the Welding or oil and gas field?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Humble one Sent: 3/14/2015 2:30:50 PM

"if i have to cut my locks everything else should pick up a notch I.E Praying, healthy living, good works."

Why would cutting off the dreadlocks lead to positive lifestyle changes?

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 3/14/2015 4:58:53 PM

^Yeah a strange analogy.
You have men without good works who have long hair and short hair,and men who live good who have long hair and short hair.
So it's a strange idea that hair plays any major role in the intentions and heart of a man.
I agree that a job is no excuse for a Ras to cut his locks.
However some RasTafarI people may have short hair for other reasons like weather too hot or more comfortable...
So there's no reason to judge a man by his hair length.Dreadlocks are an external representation of RasTafarI Identity,but it doesn't make one RasTafarI.
Seeing someone with dreadlocks doesn't automatically mean they are RasTafarI.
I-man know a true Ras from Ghana who does not have dreadlocks.

Selassie I bless.

Messenger: ZIonChild Sent: 3/14/2015 5:29:08 PM

I was thinking in terms of the dreadlocks being a sacrament onto God, and with cutting that sacrament everything else that the person is currently doing, has to that much better. I was thinking the same, job isn't an excuse, but a man must provide for himself.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 3/14/2015 6:41:04 PM

So a man who cuts his hair must improve his livity and good works in order to compensate his lack of hair?
LOL,I can't agree with such thinking beacuse as I mentioned earlier there is no intrinsic connection between long hair and good works,and short hair with evil works (although both may be a characteristic of a way of life or religion wich includes good works or evil works).I don't see JAH judging anyone by hairstyles but by the heart.
Having long hair doesn't cover evil works,neither is it an excuse to commit less good works.And short hair doesn't make a person more evil.
I think such a perspective comes from religious philosphy,but even in the story of Samson I don't see the hair itself being the source of strength but rather that the vow was broken and therefore the spirit of the Lord departed.Not because God doesn't like people with certain hair lengths.

Give Ises

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 3/14/2015 6:45:21 PM

RAS NATE: True words.

If a vow is made, honor it.
If a vow is not made, locks are fashion.

Bless
One Love

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 3/14/2015 7:02:13 PM

Hemphill,
-----------------------------------
If a vow is made, honor it.
If a vow is not made, locks are fashion.
-----------------------------------

Yes to some people dreadlocks are a fashion.
But not for all people with dreadlocks who didn't make a vow.
Many people for I-xample may have dreadlocks but not because of the Bible or a vow,but because of leaving things to grow in their natural order as they are meant to be without changing it.It is possible for it to be neither a vow nor a fashion.

Bless Up

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 3/14/2015 7:07:47 PM

I brother is in a welding program. He recently had a tour of a CAT facility that manufactures extremely large buckets for even larger digging machines. The welders there wear a helmet that has a self contained filtration system. This leads to better health conditions for the worker, I am not sure if a one could get that type of helmet on with locks.. Especially I, Ilocks are not very long but quite thick, it has proven difficult to get a hard hat on for I..
There are many combinations of helmets and hair types, I think that the major worry would be the strict drug testing of the industry.. If the I partakes in GanJah..

There are many avenues a one can follow with the skill of welding.. even metal sculptures and art works.. Work towards becoming independent and the I will not have to worry about industry standards.

-----------------

RAS NATE: I agree, letting nature run its course without a 'formal' vow does not have to be considered 'fashion'. Yet even letting nature run its course without changing it[concerning locks] is a recognition and outward expression of a specific view point or livity. Maybe not a vow but standing with and for a belief.

Bless

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 3/15/2015 2:50:49 AM

I myself do not have dreadlocks. I understand that they are a natural thing, an outward expression of the inward grace.

This is just for reason of keeping my hair clean, myself. I anoint my skin with olive oil every night, and rub it in. With longer hair, it is very hard not to grease up the hair.

Personally, I feel that I seperate myself from babylon in more everyday ways. For example, not eating what the beast wants I to eat.

NB: I'M NOT TRYING TO ADVOCATE SHORT HAIR!!! THIS IS ENTIRELY YOUR CHOICE, and i'm not asking anyone to cut off their dreadlocks!

I am just saying that, in my view, if jah would judge you, it would be judgement of the heart and livity, and if there were an inherent need to cut them off, I don't think jah would cast judgement.

But this is your choice.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/15/2015 8:07:08 AM

Voodooruuts say he works in the same or similar industry and sights many dreadlocks in that area. Hats or stockings can be worn or even to tie hair back. A legitimate workplace is not legally allowed to discriminate against hair when in regard to culture and or religion.

Anything after that is you find excuse / wanting to cut your locks

Rasta don't bow anytime

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/15/2015 11:34:17 AM

Only tying some a dem place require shaving for use of full or half face respiratory protection but yes many locksman even I have thick locks and a rather larger head and put on hair and hard hat, and it also makes a good pillow when nap time comes for breaks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I