Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5753&start_row=1

Oromo vs Amharic

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 7/23/2014 3:08:49 PM

Blessed love on the earthstrong of his majesty

Iman is currently learning Amharic and learning about Ethiopian culture etc as Iman get a vibe that its Ethiopia Iman haffi stretch forth I hands to and make efforts to forward to HIM land. InI are told that Amharic is the official language of Ethiopia. Ethiopia is made of regions with their own people and languages, the two biggest are first Oromia where mostly Oromo people live and Oromo is the main language, second largest is Amhara where mostly Amhara people live and Amharic is the main language.Amharic uses geez script/fidel but Oromo uses Latin letters, one could say in a written context Amharic is more important for InI to learn to come out of Babylon romanised white supremacy style of literacy. I read that many Oromos can speak Amharic and vice versa but that Oromos prefer not to use Amharic as it was forced on them and they don't want to lose their regional language as they consider it part of their identity. Shashamane is in Oromia hence locals 1st language is Oromo but here I can't find a book on learning Oromo and internet sources are a bit vague, for instance Iman said earlier that I am learning Amharic at this present Iwah and Iman am doing this through using a book course which is very thorough and plus the internet is more supportive of learners of Amharic.

Iman is wondering how 'useful' Amharic really is,not that its impossible but Amharic is harder to learn because of the geez script takes a lot more time to master,would ones advise learning Oromo at least equally alongside amharic if not predominantly,I would say its of more confusion because in Addis Ababa they speak Amharic, Iman would hope to settle eventually in shasha because obviously that is where InI Rastafari idrens are mostly situated, so hence Iman must at some stage learn the Oromo language but because immigration laws and ting finding a job is needed to permanently reside in Ethiopia,which is potentially easier in Addis Ababa hence Amharic is needed, are Amharic and Oromo easily transferable eg French,Spanish and Italian are very easy to learn once you know one pretty well. What would the I advise as the best way to forward?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/23/2014 3:41:07 PM

Shower of blessings on HIM Haile Selassie I EarthStrong.

83 different cultures and ethnicities within Ethiopia. The two you mentioned are the largest but also the Tigray and Somali populations each with their own language and language roots: Somali and Oromo being Cushitic while Ahmaric is Semitic.

The oldest ethnicity in ethiopia is most likely the haplogroup A ethnicities from around the south west regions / Gambela like Nuer, Anuak. Who also speak they own language (Cushitic)

Id personally find more joy in a Cushitic / Nilotic language than Semetic, just seems a little less foreign. But as far as languages go, if I do eventually learn another it will most likely be French. The most widely used in Africa and it's diaspora

I hope you find what u need. Enough people speak both of those languages for it to not really be a problem for you. The geeZ script may be harder but would give you a massive advantage / resource for if your interested in Ethiopian history and examining old texts and scripts.

Peace!

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 7/23/2014 4:13:14 PM

I jus found supm interesting in your post GA, the 'ANUAK' people, and d Maasai of nearby Kenya wit God 'ENKAI', 'ENGAI'. "The ANUAKI GodKing ENKI"??

If the I can learn both the off the I will b mongst both peoples, but like GA Say reading of scripts Geez will b a deffinate advantage.

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 7/23/2014 5:04:06 PM

Yes I the geez is very useful for reading/ examining the Incient materials but Iman primary concern is communication with the Ethiopian people and survival iya, Iman sight the importance of knowing both as Brother VD said, Iman will Ivelop the question, if the I was going into the land would the I try to go straight to Oromia but be potentially living less stable or would the I forward into Addis Ababa and get comfortable there before trodding into Oromia,this is just as a personal question not to give Iman advice necessarily, more of if the I had the opportunity to do one or the other what would the I do?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 7/23/2014 6:53:49 PM

Me I would go to Oromia first me, jus to ease in to d culture and ways of d country with help of d Shashamane FarEye family learn d Oromo it should make it easier forwarding to Addis Ababa.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 7/30/2014 11:05:45 AM

Blessed salutations Idren BoboBinghi JAHcub,

Keep on learning Ambarigna especially when the I want to live in Abyssinia. Iman is learning more and more Amharigna Ivery day and I see the comfort in the language Ivery day since a very long time. The teachings of the letters, numbers and grammar is not as hard as the I perhaps think. Same thing is with the adjectives, nouns and consonants. Iman sight Abugida languages as more convenient and straight than most other kind of languages. And ofcourse Amharigna is a Abugida language.

Oromigna might be useful but that is like Amharigna depending on which area of Abyssinia the I is and deal with. More People speak Oromigna than Amharigna but that is slightly different in numbers. Though some People who speak Oromigna like ofcourse Oromo People can speak and write Amharigna however this is not always mutual. ( Iman is meaning Amharigna speaking and writing People not able to speak and write Oromigna )

Bitwoded RasTafarI

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 7/30/2014 3:33:18 PM

Ge'ez is very useful for the examination of Incient works and scriptures and more things but it is not so easy to learn since not many People can speak Ge'ez. It currently plays a more liturgical role in the Ethiopian tewahedo orthodox church and also in the Eritrean orthodox church.

Menen I.

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 7/30/2014 3:46:02 PM

Yes I give thanks for the word sound Idrens

Ras Raza Iman is at the point where I can write and read the Fidel and I see what the I is saying that its not as difficult as I first thought,one thing the I said is that the I can see ever increasing comfort in the Amharic, what the I mean by comfort? and also is the I living in Ethiopia? Or ever been to the land?

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 7/30/2014 5:27:16 PM

Selam Idren,

If the I check it out I did not say ever increasing or more comfort. Iman said that I am learning more and more Amharigna Iveryday. But it is still true that I feel more comfortable with Amharigna writing, reading and speaking Iveryday. With comfort Iman meant convenience and with that Iman mean ease. The more I learn the more convenient Iman feel and trod. Speaking and writing Amharigna is a very important part of Iman Life so I desire to learn more and to keep it in I Livity. Learning Amharigna is for I more and more comfortable Iveryday.
And Iman have never been to Abyssinia but I will go to there certainly. I love Ithiopia more than any other country to be honest Iya.

What about the I then?

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 7/30/2014 6:46:21 PM

Seen Overstood king, for I this progression is a forwarding, a part of this rapture and liberation from Babylon, realisation of self, realisation of InI Incient livity and InI Incient Identity.so Iman haffi gives ises for this ya educating,out a de Box development, the seek and find upliftment,Itinual blessings and fufilment

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I