Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=575&start_row=61

Gangsta Rap - Babylon Propaganda

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 77
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/8/2014 4:49:49 PM

The problem isn't lil wayne. The problem is they are already 1000 people with the mindset of lil wayne actively in the community. The music is just a social commentary. If the people were conscious they would be singing about conscious things. As it was in the 70s-80s. The problem is with the mindset of the masses, that is the main determinant of the music.

Let me put it this way. Currently, if lil wayne put out a song talking about a Jah and righteousness what u think would happen? It would be gone for his career and they would just raise up another lil wayne to replace him.

Change the mindset of the people

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 3/8/2014 4:55:58 PM

That's impossible Idren.Lil Wayne cannot reach unto JAH knowledge and righteousness.And if he does it won't be Lil Wayne.I think the mindset and the foolishness in songs generate together,the one helps the other grow and the other way around. EDIT:"they will replace him".EXACTLY.and "they" are Babylon,so you yourself just said that babylon controls gansta rap and it's propoganda,right...

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/8/2014 4:58:25 PM

People sell drugs in the lower socioeconomic areas. Whether they rap about it or not we the people are still exposed to it, everyday. The music makes no difference. Gun crime is not so high because of 50 cent I fail to believe that. Them things are happening anyway. Again because of the mindset.

Maybe to the suburban kids this has an effect, I'm not speaking for them

And actually, if one comes as a Gangsta rapper..... With a conscious element, I find this is the BEST way to appeal to the youth and try and change their mindset. If you come to them straight with some conscious talk which they can't relate to they will reject you. You have to deal with the people on their level.

I'm not defending the bow cat dreadlocks boy Wayne. Just the music in general. Gangsta lyrics is not the problem in the areas that produce street level 'Gangstas' ..... If it is it's waaaay down on the problem list!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/8/2014 5:04:30 PM

Pac (his early work) as a gangsta rapper and conscious artist at the same time. If it wasn't for the street level lyrics he wouldn't have been able to grab peoples attention to then start delivering a conscious message.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/8/2014 5:05:40 PM

Better example:

Dead prez - RBG

Gangsta lyrics
Positive and Revolutionary message

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 3/8/2014 5:07:25 PM

(answer to the post<<2) TRUE.this is why Ark I said he is not against gangsa rap,but the rappers need to start rapping about concious things coz they have most influence on the yuts...

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/8/2014 5:11:06 PM

True. But id add to that, them have to keep a certain level of reality and if their reality contains what you would call gangsterism then they have to include this in the music, for it to be credible and something people can relate with. For every Wayne there's a CommonSense.

But there is a revival in the music coming up, even in JA. Less tommy lee's and more Jah9, Iba mahr, kabaka musicians

All is not lost king

(Peter tosh - stepping razor. Jamaicans were the original gangsta rappers!)

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 3/8/2014 5:16:00 PM

But Pac and such were intelligent rappers with a message,uncomparable to most gangsta rappers of today,coz all they rap about is vanity.

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 3/8/2014 5:19:41 PM

I don't realy see iba mahr,kabaka and Peter as gangsta rappers,do they even rap...?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/8/2014 7:43:12 PM

All dis 'gansta' been habbnin since fo gangsta rap jomp off so it ain't da music but dey rappin to make money so wat eva sellin dat wat it is strait like dat but dat music is mo wood trowed ona fiyah. A lot a dem li dudes try hard hard hard fa da emulate dem rap dudes tel it's sicknin. U try fa da tell em supm first theng dey go do is tell u " Man U heard wat so n so (Wayne, Ross, Boosie r whoeva) say den quote da lyrics an all da other ones wit im go cheerlead fa im. But it like da rap is more materialistic and less gangsta na but I think more n more ppl wakin up li bit but it a slow slow thing cuz babylie fightin harder n harder n dey already had a jomp start in game fa a longgg time. Da mental upliftment prolly b lil stronger ina Islands tho I wud think cuz a Rastafari an da rebellious nature wha been deh frm way back. I think da sout US in fudda behind da nort tho y kno New York a hub fa all da movements. But it got a lot more conscious gangsta rappers na dey don't get exposure Shabazz da Discple he one uh'em

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 77

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I