Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=575&start_row=71

Gangsta Rap - Babylon Propaganda

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 77
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/8/2014 10:29:48 PM

It is true that things are the way they are with or without the music, but the music does have an effect. People often emulate the musicians they like, this is true for all kinds of musicians, and the effect is especially evident in youth, I don't know how this effect can be honestly denied. Also, the mindset that is the cause of gangster ways is encouraged and strengthened with the help of gangsta rappers.

Messenger: Jah Dub Sent: 3/9/2014 4:22:44 AM

I think gangsta rap is just a bad influence

but if you feel the need to express this music, go ahead - don't expect me to respect the negativity......I MIGHT like the music, who knows yet

The other side of the coin: Some people gotta do bad shit to feed their kids, I rather hear it in a song than be a victim of it. Art imitates life and in this case, life sucks, aparantly- bad enough to be a thug for a living

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 3/9/2014 5:52:53 AM

Yes Ark I.Like I said:The foolishness in songs helps the mindset grow and the other way around.The gangsta style mindset and trend have influence on the rappers and what they rap about,like GA said:if a gangsta rapper starts sudenly to rap about JAH and righteoussness,the fans and people won't like it and the rapper will be replaced.So I think in order for the rap subject to change and become more conciouss the mindset of the people first has to change also,coz fools despise wisdom...

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/9/2014 6:43:03 AM

FaTure but I think da rappers need to play a part in changing da mi deer of da youngin nem. As d I say tho ppl do wat dey feel dey gotta do to eat but most yah in da states jus chasin materialistic things.

Messenger: I-Man Sent: 12/26/2016 1:52:33 PM

Rap is like reggae. There is a great message in rap for youth, this is not about dealing coco or other

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 12/26/2016 6:27:09 PM

Messenger: Black Son of Jah Sent: 12/30/2016 11:48:45 AM

Well, the first amendment right of Babylon government supposed to give us freedom of speech. So, gangsta rap or any other form of music is free to say what they want. The problem is drugs will still be dealt in low-income neighborhoods if it is talked about in gangsta rap or not. We all know who brought these drugs into the low income neighborhoods, so I won't talk about that...A lot of people in these neighborhoods feel they have no other way to make decent money than by selling drugs, pimping women, or running scams. Gangsta rap has and always will be a reflection of the slums. Idk how its propaganda if the things that these rappers are talking about ARE actually going on in low-income neighborhoods.

How do I know? Because I grew up in the same environment and it was all I seen around me as a youth. Now, those rappers making money off of this and not giving back is a whole other story.. The focus should be on better employment opportunities for minorities in low-income neighborhoods and as a whole. There is also a huge difference between HIP HOP and Gangsta rap which came in with the crack epidemic in the 80s. If you want to hear positive messages then you need to look into real hip hop because it is out there

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 77

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I