Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5532&start_row=1

Sugar and Babylon

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/23/2014 6:38:43 AM

One of the oils of Babylon’s system is behaviour control, promotion of, for example, addiction; desire and aversion, which do not lead to happiness or contentment but fuel the fire of materialism, accumulation, consumption, pride, as opposed to cooperation and empathy. If we behave compulsively we are not really in control of ourselves, our minds.

I wanted to look into modern humans relationship with sugar and found an article in the NY Times from 18 months ago. These paragraphs are taken from it. Sorry for doing a cut and paste post…

Since sugar is a basic form of energy in food, a sweet tooth was adaptive in ancient times, when food was limited. However, excessive sugar in the bloodstream is toxic, so our bodies also evolved to rapidly convert digested sugar in the bloodstream into fat. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors needed plenty of fat — more than other primates — to be active during periods of food scarcity and still pay for large, expensive brains and costly reproductive strategies (hunter-gatherer mothers could pump out babies twice as fast as their chimpanzee cousins).

Simply put, humans evolved to crave sugar, store it and then use it. For millions of years, our cravings and digestive systems were exquisitely balanced because sugar was rare. Apart from honey, most of the foods our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate were no sweeter than a carrot. The invention of farming made starchy foods more abundant, but it wasn’t until very recently that technology made pure sugar bountiful.

The food industry has made a fortune because we retain Stone Age bodies that crave sugar but live in a Space Age world in which sugar is cheap and plentiful…..

We humans did not evolve to eat healthily and go to the gym; until recently, we didn’t have to make such choices. But we did evolve to cooperate to help one another survive and thrive. Circumstances have changed, but we still need one another’s help as much as we ever did. For this reason, we need government on our side, not on the side of those who wish to make money by stoking our cravings and profiting from them. We have evolved to need coercion.

Daniel E. Lieberman, a professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard, is the author of “The Evolution of the Human Head.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/opinion/evolutions-sweet-tooth.html?_r=0

I think it’s the same with all the once limited material things in life that are available unrestricted and at a hidden cost – life itself has become a commodity, an expendable by product of the machine. Time to wake up and break free. Italise in every aspect.
Jah Bless.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/24/2014 1:28:35 AM

See it deh. The very ting them enslave we for. Them decide it no good for them again, them don't want the sugar again. One of the main exports still in the DIaspora, now De Beer and The Browns have moved out of the carribean, lets tell the rest of the world to stop consuming Sugar.

Human didn't evolve to crave sugar a lie. Sugar was mass produced from the 15th century before then there wasn't really any refined / granulated mass sugar production. Sugar = African slave labour

This report coming like it was written by white supremacy itself.

But a truth in terms of the health affects. But Rasta done know this. I suppose that part of the wicked irony. Them feed we the same poison them have we out on the field a mek. What a terrible thing

Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/24/2014 3:49:33 PM

Interesting twist. I took it that the man was saying its in man's nature to consume sugary foods as they provide dense calories needed for survival and reproduciton, but that that instinct had been exploited by companies filling cheap foods - most foods - and drinks with low cost processed sugars, creating, literally, a nation of obese diabetics. Using the exploitation of one set of people to exploit another, all in the name of profit. One of the last sentences he wrote was '...But we did evolve to cooperate to help one another survive and thrive' - seems that this natural instinct has also been overidden by desire for unlimited material riches and dominance over peoples, in some.

I see your point about the trade resulting from the demand for sugar. Maybe, though so unlikely as people are 'free' to make choices that are not in their interests, if there was more demand for natural goods the trade lost to sugar production would be replaced by other exports, or people would learn the superior nutritional value of unrefined sugars and the trade price would increase.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/24/2014 11:47:56 PM

When the person said that people evolved to crave sugar, he wasn't talking specifically about the sugar that people make, he was referring to the substance sugar, which comes either directly from food (or derived from it), or from carbohydrates that gets broken down into sugar. The same idea applies with people's natural craving for fat. Having sugar or fat can help a person survive quite a while without other essential nutrients, to give them the energy they need to find more nutrients. Our nose and taste buds are attracted to the scents of nutrients, including sugar and fat. The problem is that many people don't know when to stop. Before, nature limited people's access to fat and sugar, now we are able to eat as much as we want. And some people's wants far exceeds their needs, and most things in excess are dangerous to our health.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/25/2014 5:47:37 AM

The only difference I see is when we started to process sugar. Additives / Sweets / Deserts / Soda......and so on.... using the refined sugar from Cane plants. The mass use of Cane sugars is a relatively new thing in world history. As related to the triangular trade.

Before then was to deal with natural sugar. To take Fruit for an example; fruit contains Glucose a direct source of energy (ATP). Other foods with 'refined' or processed sugars from sweets / junk food contain sugars in the form of Fructose or Sucrose which the body has no use for. They have to be converted - inefficiently - into Glucose or stored within the body as harmful waste prducts such as Triglycerides and cholesterol.

I see it more as Natural vs Unnatural sugars. In which, InI - if true to the Ital livity - doesn't have to worry about a thing. Glucose we say.

What is fructose?

Fructose is a monosaccharide (simple sugar), which the body can use for energy. Because it does not cause blood sugar rise tremendously (has a low glycemic index), it was once thought that fructose was a good substitute for sucrose (table sugar). However, the American Diabetes Association and nutritional experts have changed their minds about this.
Is fructose bad for me?

A small amount of fructose, such as the amount found in most vegetables and fruits, is not a bad thing. In fact, there is evidence that a little bit may help your body process glucose properly. However, consuming too much fructose at once seems to overwhelm the body's capacity to process it. The diets of our ancestors contained only very small amounts of fructose. These days, estimates are that about 10% of the modern diet comes from fructose.
What happens if I consume too much fructose?

Most of the carbohydrates we eat are made up of chains of glucose. When glucose enters the bloodstream, the body releases insulin to help regulate it. Fructose, on the other hand, is processed in the liver. To greatly simplify the situation: When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough for the body to use as sugar. Instead, it starts making fats from the fructose and sending them off into the bloodstream as triglycerides.
Why is this bad?

This is potentially bad for at least three reasons:
High blood triglycerides are a risk factor for heart disease.
Fructose ends up circumventing the normal appetite signaling system, so appetite-regulating hormones aren't triggered--and you're left feeling unsatisfied. This is probably at least part of the reason why excess fructose consumption is associated with weight gain.
There is growing evidence that excess fructose consumption may facilitate insulin resistance, and eventually Type 2 Diabetes. However, some of this effect may be from chemicals in soda which reacts with the high fructose corn syrup.

Messenger: MELCHEZIDEK Sent: 3/20/2014 6:38:24 AM

Sugar is not a poison. Sugar is natuaral and the sugar cane is long used in Africa naturally.

Messenger: MELCHEZIDEK Sent: 3/20/2014 6:53:15 AM

Fructose is healthy because the fruits needs fructose to taste sweet. In africa I and I have the sweetest fruits ever I did taste.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 3/20/2014 2:57:39 PM

Only natural sugar is Ital like dat in sugar cane,bananas,oranges etc,processed sugar is not Ital therefore not health,processed sugar in biscuits,sweets,soft drinks,etc is very dangerous to health.

Ital is Vital

Messenger: MELCHEZIDEK Sent: 3/21/2014 6:34:26 AM

Fructose as in corn syrp?

Messenger: Sister Sent: 1/6/2015 3:45:31 PM

Any I aware of 'bone char' (aka 'natural charcoal' or animal bones) being used to filter 'impurities' (aka the good bits) from cane sugar?

I dont tend to use white sugar but it is more than likely used in some products I have bought.

Below is extracted from 'Is Your Sugar Vegan' from The Vegetarian Resource Group. Full article at :
http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue4/2007_issue4_sugar.php

I appreciate the last 2 lines.

Watch Out For Bone Char: Tips For Consumers

On your next trip to the sugar aisle at the grocery, you may notice many bags of sugar that are labeled "100% Pure Cane Sugar." Most likely, this sugar was refined using bone char. In contrast, sugar in bags labeled "100% Pure Beet Sugar" was never passed through a bone char filter.

Questions soon arise about sugar labeled, for instance, "Granulated Sugar." There is no way to tell based on this phrase alone whether the sugar had been filtered through bone char. The phrase "100% Sugar" is equally ambiguous. Supermarket chains that purchase sugar from a large sugar company but label it as their own may not indicate which type of sugar it is.

Brown sugar is made by adding molasses to refined white sugar. Therefore, companies that use bone char to produce their white sugar will also use it to produce their brown sugar. The same is true for confectioner’s sugar, which is refined white sugar with added corn- starch. Invert sugar is filtered through the use of bone char. Fructose may but does not typically involve a bone-char filter. Molasses, turbinado, demerara, and muscovado sugars are never filtered through bone char. Evaporated cane juice is also bone-char free. If in doubt about any product, concerned consumers should direct inquiries to the manufacturer.

For now, The VRG suggests that those who wish to avoid bone char processing altogether purchase organic sugar and consume foods that list only organic sugar or evaporated cane juice as sweeteners. Eating prepack- aged foods and/or restaurant foods that contain refined white sugar will always be questionable.

When discussing ingredients, information changes and mistakes can be made. Please use your own best judgment about whether a product is suitable for you. We encourage everyone to be reasonable and realistic. Use this article with other information to assist you in making personal decisions, not as a standard that you or others may not be able to achieve. Don’t let smaller issues get in the way of larger dietary or ethical decisions. Always be encouraging to others and do the best you can, taking into account that neither you nor the world is perfect.

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I