Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5501&start_row=1

Jah noeh???

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/7/2014 6:14:34 PM

Greetings idren, in the name of JAH Rastafari, bless up.
Question: some Ethiopians refer to HIM as, what sounds like phonetically, Jah noeh. What is this name/what does it mean??
Give thanks.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/8/2014 9:17:02 PM

Jahnaweh?
It is an Amharic word...

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 2/8/2014 11:53:46 PM

JAH Child,

I think the I means "Jahnhoi" by "Jah noeh".

Jahnhoi means "Your Majesty" in Amharic and was used when addressing Haile Selassie I.

Some Ethiopians still refer to Haile Selassie I as "Jahnhoi", it is a term that shows their Respect for Selassie I.

Messenger: ConsciousRas Sent: 2/9/2014 2:04:18 AM

Bredrin, i think the i was referring to Djanhoy, the term used to address Menelik the second. It dates back to 1896 during the battle of Adowa when Menelik 2 won the battle.
Blessings.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/9/2014 5:41:49 AM

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/davebulow/wow/amharic.htm

Amlak = God

Fiqir = Love
Hence Fiqir Bandinet = 'One Love'.
'Fiqir' ('Love') written in Ethiopic script

Haile Sellassie
The name Haile Sellassie means literally 'Power (Haile) of the Trinity (Selassie)'.

Iyesus Kristos = Ethiopian name for Jesus Christ
'Iyesus' written in Ethiopic script

'Igzee'abihier
The word 'Igzee'abihier is the Ethiopian name for God, meaning literally, "Lord of the Universe". This is composed of 'Igzee (Lord) 'ab (father) bihier (of the nation). The complete phrase, 'Igzee'abihier Yimmesgen, means "Let God be praised".
'Igzeeabhier' written in Ethiopic script

Itiopia (pronounced with a long 'ee' sound at the beginning)= Ethiopia
'Itiopia' written in Ethiopic script

Janhoy = the emperor, or majesty, sometimes affectionately referred to as 'Ababa Janhoy' (Father Majesty).

Kebra Nagast = 'Glory of Kings'
This ancient Ethiopian text gives an elaborated account of the meeting of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, claiming that they became the parents of a son Menelik, who later stole the treasured Ark of the Covenant from his father's Temple and brought it to dwell in Ethiopia. According to tradition, it is still there to this day.

Medhanie 'Alem = "Saviour of the World".

Moa Anbesa Ze'imnegede Yehuda
= Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah
A motto of the Ethiopian monarchs, and often attached to the Emperor's name. See Revelation 5:5.
'Anbesa' ('Lion') written in Ethiopic script

Nigus
The word Nigus (sometimes transliterated 'Negus', but pronounced 'nih-goose') means 'king', 'emperor'. Hence also the phrases, Negusa Negest ze Itiopia, meaning "Emperor of Ethiopia", and YeNegustit Nigus meaning 'King of Kings' (see Revelation 19:16). ... YeIsrael Nigus = King of Israel, Yetsion Nigus = King of Zion. Click here to see a comprehensive list of Amharic Imperial, Royal and Noble titles.
'Niguse Negest' written in Ethiopic script

Qedamawi
Qedamawi is Ge`ez for 'first', and may also mean 'old' or 'holy'.

Ras Fetari = 'First Creator', or 'Head Creator'. This is not to be confused with 'Ras Tafari' (for which, see below), although the word 'ras' ('head') is the same in both cases. The cover of Peter Tosh's 'Nuclear War' album features a picture of Tosh displaying this divine title in Ethiopic script around his neck.

Ras Tafari Mekonnen (name of HIM Haile Selassie I)
Ras = head (compare Hebrew rosh, Arabic ra's). Tafari = he who inspires awe'. Mekonnen = 'the angel'. The name Rastafari became applied to the followers of Haile Selassie, the Rastafarians.

Satta amassagana
Satta amassagana ahamlack, ulaghize is usually translated as "Give thanks to God continually". Strictly, however, this is not quite accurate Amharic, for the vowels in amassagana are mispronounced. More properly, it should be ames-seggene.

Sehumi Igzeeabhier = Elect of God

Sellassie = Trinity
Usually used as a suffix, as in Haile Selassie, 'Power of the Trinity'. The cocept of the Trinity (God being mystically Three in One) does not always form a part of Rastafarian belief, and is understandably considered by some to negate the absolute oneness of God. However, it remains a key doctrine of the Orthodox Church.

Tenayistilgn = 'Greetings' or 'Hello', etc.

Tewahido = 'made one'
Emphasizing the inseparable unity/oneness of Godhead and manhood in the person of Jesus Christ, of all humanity as one family. The full title of the Ethiopian Orthodox church is 'The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Bete Christian'. ('Bete Christian' means literally 'Christian House', hence 'a church'.)

Yebrehanu Alem = Light of the World
Berhane is an Amharic name meaning 'my light'. Bob Marley was baptised into the Ethiopian Orthodox church as Berhane Sellassie, which means 'Light of the Trinity'.

Don Karlos>>>>>

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/9/2014 5:52:23 AM

'His Majesty our father'

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/9/2014 5:04:05 PM

Yes I, Jahnhoi.
Have others been referred to as this before Haile Selassie I?
Give thanks the knowledge.

Messenger: uyitkcen@besttempmail.com Sent: 11/26/2019 7:58:09 PM

On most of the forums there are groups that people want to get indulge in different chatting purpose. Hence you may get https://xpertwriters.com/ this adoption so that there are ways to communicate through the messages to the other people.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 11/26/2019 8:38:22 PM

Ababa Janhoy!

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I