Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=531&start_row=1

The Book your Church doesn't want you to read

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 12/24/2004 4:55:28 PM

Has anyone ever read this book? I have just started to read it and i thinks its absolutly amazing. I'm telling anyone who is thirsty for true biblical history, they must read this book. This book should be read by every Christian, Muslim, Jew, and Rasta. For too long the masses have been religiously illiterate.

Ras Zion I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 12/24/2004 4:58:51 PM

Is that the title of the book?

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 12/24/2004 8:48:53 PM

I have just looked it up on Amazon.com, looks intresting. I will try to obtain a copy to read so I can give a further-thorough prospective on it.

In a reviews on Amazon.com for the book, a consumer had this to say.

" The fact is that historically, Christianity has been the enemy of freethought and intellectualism. Most Christians are not encouraged to examine their scriptures critically but to accept what they don't undertand "on faith." "

I would like to know whee I's thought on this, I didnt know Christians didnt study the sciptures, I know day-to-day Christians may not, but Priest and so forth I thought so.

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 12/24/2004 9:31:59 PM

It gives the background on a lot of the pagan ancestory of what is now labled as Christianity. I wouldn't know how to sum up this book for in it are many different things that deal with history. For instance, ever since the Dead Sea Scrolls were found no one can really tell if Jesus is really from Nazareth, because the eariliest record of nazareth isn't present until after Christ died. it also explains the astrological references in the bible and how those things relate to us now. It goes into the background of the Catholic church and church in general and so on. I have not read it all the way through but i must say that is quite an amazing and thought provoking book. It has challanged many of my own thought and preceptions, and I have been doing history research along with the book and so far it has not fallen out of context with what history has to say for itself. Again i highly reccomend that all of you read this, every last one of you will find something in this book that you never knew.

Give thanks for higher education

Ras Zion I

Messenger: learningLION Sent: 2/20/2006 11:33:20 PM

is the titile of ur book wuts at the end of ur page cause i couldnt find exactly wut u were talkin about

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 2/21/2006 11:28:31 AM

GLORY BE UNTO THE MOST HIGH JAH RASTAFARI

What is the title of this book? I will check it asap.

Iman have read many, many books on Biblical history, archeology and historical-critical analysis. Among them two titles stand out as crucial to an overstanding of the current state of biblical scholarship.

for Old Testemant overstanding from an archeological/historical perspective:
"The Bible Unearthed" by Finkelstein and Silberman

for New Testemant and early Christian reasoning:
Bart D. Ehrman's books, especially (or starting with ) "Lost Christianities"

I would love to reason with anyone regarding these STRONGLY recommended texts, and I will check the book that this post started over as soon as I get the title and author and find a copy.

Also, Iman still humbly request that ones check my book "Rastafarian Mysticism" and reason with I upon it.

ITHIOPIANS STRETCH FORTH InI HANDS UNTO JAH

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 2/21/2006 12:17:02 PM

Yes I

"The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You To Read" is the title; I just ordered it from Amazon.

Also, I would like to mention the book "When Jesus Became God" by Richard Rubenstein.

BLESSED LOVE

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 3/9/2006 12:42:27 PM

Yes I,

I just recieved this book and have checked it out, but not actually read it thru yet.Seems it is full of all of the facts about the biblical tradition that people have supressed,ignored and covered up in order to continue to believe what they WANT to believe.

A real problem with this subject matter is that material usually falls into one of two categories:
(1)it dimisses fact in order to maintain tradition

(2)it dimisses tradition because it is not objectively factual

Both of these positions assume that myth or metaphor is diametrically opposed to truth. This is not the case, I have studied the Bible for years now, I recognize that it is a collection of diverse writings based on ancient oral traditions from a wide variety of different places and different times. It contains many revisions, mistakes, additions and contradictions. It is not factually, historically accurate and probably was never intended to be taken as such. However, it also is the most influential and important piece of literature in the Western world. It is full of beauty, wisdom and inspiration.

As a Rastaman I cannot turn away from the Bible just because people before me have misinterpreted and misused it, or because of its internal flaws. Instead InI embrace it as an aid in helping I to be a better person and to give a deeper sense of meaning to I life.

consider:
If I say that Ark I is the salt of the earth, one could argue with I that he is not salt he is a human being. BUT, does that mean that I was wrong?
This illustrates my overstanding of biblical scripture, it is not untrue even though it is not factually accurate.

It is my opinion that one should niether dimiss the Bible because it is not the inerrant word of God nor dismiss science and history because they don't align with the Bible, but rather recognize that myth is a universal pre-requisite to any culture. Let us give myth it's rightful place in the human experience alongside science and history and not opposed to them.

ONE LOVE

A great introduction to the art and science of critical/historical analysis of the Bible (specifically the Torah and O.T.) can be found in the new book "How To Read The Bible" by Marc Brettler, and Ehrman's "The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture" discusses analysis of the N.T.

Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/9/2006 1:22:07 PM

I had the book and then got rid of it, not for any other reasons than it has a certain agenda and therefore is not entirely historically accurate.

Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/9/2006 1:23:02 PM

I had the book and then got rid of it, not for any other reasons than it has a certain agenda and therefore is not entirely historically accurate.

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I