Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4641&start_row=1

University Application guidance

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Matthew Sent: 3/26/2012 4:49:58 PM

Greetings

I have been meditating on whether or not University would be a good move for me at this point of I life, after reading the I majestys words on education I have decided to go for it. Ive been out of education since leaving secondary school but have managed to find a course that offers a additional year in order to get upto standard for the rest of the degree, Ive been working on my personal statement, and know many on here have gone through the university system so will know better than me what Universities want to hear. My statement is below any constructive critisism and advice would be appreciated, let me what the Is think, its a sociology degree In applying for.

Blessed love
-----------------------
If we live in a democratic society and  a government is elected to represent with the requirement that they treat all people equally and fairly, then how is it that the majority of wealth in Britain, and in other democracies is held by a small minority whilst the remainder of society has to struggle to make a living?

I believe studying Sociology will allow me to explore such questions objectively and critically, while enabling me to understand and research the various theories and ideologies of different cultures.

I have a great respect for those who have stood against the unjust systems of the world, such as, Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, who worked tirelessly to end inequality and discrimination amongst all people. He said of university education.

“We believe that the universities today stand as the most promising hope for constructive solutions to the problems that beset the modern world, problems which prevent the peaceful cooperation of nations and which threaten the world and humanity with death and disaster”.

Through these words I have realised that not only will furthering my own education allow me to increase the future prospects and opportunities available to myself and my family, but that university will equip me with the required tools and knowledge required in order to put the Emperors words into practice.

Now older and having matured, I appreciate that if I put effort and energy into work I will reap the rewards. Therefore it is important to seize every opportunity. I am determined that if I am successful with my application I will through hard work, focus and self discipline make the most of my time at university working to the best of my abilities and putting my all into my studies. I believe this diligent approach will go a long way into the successful completion of my degree. As a mature student having left education 12 years ago I now need to re-establish my place in the academic world, learning once again, how to assimilate information, analyse and articulate my opinions with the vigour I know I can achieve. Through the foundation year I will have the opportunity to refresh and develop my academic skills to an optimum level. Having read the course profile I believe I am the perfect candidate for the foundation year and believe it will offer me a wide variety of support allowing me to develop my existing skills, as well as attaining new ones.

At 27 with two young children, I began to believe that university was something of an unrealistic goal, however after reading the course contents, requirements and structure I now know that entering this course is achievable. The last few years I have acquired the ability to be an autonomous learner, researching subjects that I have an interest in and being accountable for my own learning. These interests lead me to this course and gave me a purpose to pursue a more fulfilling future for myself and my family. Having once regretted not being educated, I am now being proactive in my self development.

Throughout my working life I have undertook various roles, and have always found the most rewarding of these to be the ones where I am in a position to help others.  In my previous role as a project worker, in an all male ex offenders housing project, I worked closely with people from all ages and backgrounds. This gave me a good insight into the problems that affect society and young people in particular. My role was to work as a key worker offering support and advice while actively encouraging the residents to empower and gain control over all aspects of there lives. My open non confrontational and non judgemental manner allowed me to gain the trust and respect of the service users which resulted in any advice I offered being adhered to. As a personable individual, I attained high success rates not only in the form of rehabilitation but nurturing relationships that resulted in balanced, pro active clients. I believe this same approach will allow a smooth transition into university life.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 3/29/2012 5:36:57 PM

I read it through and I can't really see anything wrong with it Idren. I can't think any sane university would deny the I.
I do have a warning though, because from the way the I speaks, it sounds like the I is in the British education system. Thats something I know quite well, because I'm in it at the moment and its starting to feel like they trapped I. Right now they are attacking everything in sight when it comes to funding for 'humanities' subjects and selling out to private companies to keep themselves financially viable now the government is cutting their funding. Already the I would have to get a loan three times bigger than what I had to get to pay for I course, and they've already cut out half the modules. One half of I degree just isn't running after I year finishes, and it's the most crucial one when it comes to overstanding the kind of things that are causing the crisis.
They are also cutting out all the support for international and 'mature' students with families like the I, so there just isn't the overstanding in the system that people's situations have different needs.
Now I'm in it, I'm not leaving with all the debt and no degree and the education is good still because His Majesty endorses it, but things are in such a state that I will probably just carry on with I agriculture and gardening work and learn a trade rather than applying for graduate jobs when I finish next year.
By all means go on with the education, because His Majesty never lied about it, but I just feel I have to warn the I of what the situation is like before the I steps into it.

Blessed love

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 3/30/2012 10:16:17 AM

Give thanks for the guidance idren, was a bit of a shock when I realised the cost of uni had risen from 3 to 9k a year, thankfully the foundation year if Im succesfull will be fully funded. Brother as you know things are becoming desperate in the uk, InI had been in full time employment working with the youth and ex offenders in various roles for the past 6 years, then all of a sudden babylon pulled the plug and all funding disappeared, last couple of years Ive been working for agencies and had short term contracts in factories, warehouses ect, last such contract ended December and only recently have I found work again, answering phone in babylon call centre and thats on another 6 month contract. With children and I empress to provide for I know this cycle cant go on and Selassie I helps those that help themselves. Its a risk but one I have to take, What and where is the I studying bredren? Self reliance and self employment is the way forward brother, studying while starting up a business is inspirational. Stay on that grind King

Blessed love

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 4/1/2012 4:14:42 PM

Yes I, more strength in the struggle Idren.

I am studying Cultural Studies and Study of Religions in the South-West. The business thing is essential too, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to be in the education system at all. There isn't the overstanding in the system at I university though that some people coming into the education aren't just having their way paid. The system is set up for rich youths really and that's only going to become more central as they go on with this privatisation business.

Don't get I wrong here, because I wouldn't be able to have this education if I parents didn't back and support I, and give thanks and love to them for that, but I am still the first in I family to ever go to university. So through knowing that, I know I really have to step up and fulfil what I have the chance to achieve. The way the system is set though, there is no overstanding that sometimes I can't make it to lectures because I have to work to put food on the table. I'm on track for a first class degree if I marks so far are anything to go by, but they still come round threatening I with mark downs for lack of attendance. Then when I come tell them truthfully that I can't make it to everything because I've got a business to run and RastafarI works to achieve, they give I some nonsense about them not being 'mitigating circumstances' and talking about getting another job that doesn't clash with I studies. As if I didn't try that and never get one reply from an employer. The whole institution outside of the actual departments runs like a business, and if you don't fit their business model, like if you're a student with a business or a family or some disability, they don't care. Not saying it's so everywhere, but with this cuts thing going on, it's going to run more and more like a business everywhere.
That's not to say I and I aren't fighting still either. More marches down to London come April, and I'm not missing it, even if the police are going to be rougher than the first round and start parading around with their rubber bullets and a machine guns.

Blessed

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 4/2/2012 1:57:04 PM

Yes I Idren. Education is certainly something worth fighting for, these politricians know that educattion will close the gap between the have and the have nots of society, so what do they do? ...put education out of the financial reach of the masses, they really dont want the gap between rich and poor bridged, the system has always been set up to look after there own (selected few) at great cost to the rest of us. Only difference in the uk now is this CON-DEM coalition government isnt hiding the fact, in the same way labour did. Fiya Burn them all, Nyahbinghi !

Blessed Love

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/3/2012 11:34:47 PM

Here is a Reasoning I made before.

====================
Education- Learn, but don't let it fool

Starting in 1995 I attended university for 4 years. Every day I was there I always kept this saying from Bob Marley in my head.

-----------------------
Me no have education me have inspiration, if I was educated I'd be a damn fool.
-----------------------

And by keeping Bob's words in I head and trodding the trod of RasTafarI, I avoided becoming a damn fool.

And when I speak of education, I am speaking of the education through the schools of the system, not self-education or gathering of knowledge. And although the education from the system is designed to turn people into damn fools, there is still useful information that can be gathered from the education system, and it also provides people with a "ticket" to accomplish their goals, because babylon system is made to work with those "tickets". So I encourage people to learn what they can from the education system and get the "ticket" it provides, but to always remember Bob's words and observe how it turns people into damn fools and resist that part of the head-decay-tion.

In addition to teaching people about the work that they desire to do, the education system also manipulates them to integrate with and adopt the mentality of Babylon, where wickedness is taught as greatness. The economists praise the murder and downpression of people, by praising the great economical strategies that accomplish these goals, which in turn accomplishes the goal of imbalance, to make the rich even richer, and strips energy from the others.

The education system convinces the students that they are higher than the others because of their system, and this leads to separation from the others, making it easier to downpress them without feeling a thing.

They teach the students to think with the same mind as them, and to look through the same babylon spectacles as them. Downpressing others to rise themselves up higher.

I went to school to learn about engineering, and one class that I had was business related, it was called organizational design or something like that. The class promoted and praised the great techniques that they used, for example JIT (just in time) manufacturing, the concept of this technique is to hold little stock of products, or preferably, no stock, and to meet orders as they come. This way the company doesn't have to pay for space for storage. A requirement of JIT is to heavily make use of temporary work agencies, so when more orders come, they higher the temps, and then let them go when the order are a little less. This is great for the company because they only pay for workers as they need them, providing no job security, no return to the people, they let the people fend for themselves. This is what the people get in return for helping the rich man get richer. And there are so many other techniques they praise that use and abuse the people that work, and shift the imbalance so more and more money goes to the men that already have much more then they need, and less and less goes to the people that already have less then what they need.

I remember also that just as the professors praised these techniques, the students in my classes also praised these techniques as they were trained to do, being the best damn fools they could be. A year or two ago I was speaking to a young man that recently completed school and was working as an engineer. I reasoned to him about what Bob Marley said, and I reasoned to him about what I saw the schools teaching, and about these things that they praised as greatness but were actually wickedness. And how this head-decay-tion causes people to become damn fools.

After I was finished reasoning with him he was surprised at the perspective I showed because he never saw it that way before I told him, he said, "I never thought of it like that, I guess I am one of the fools you are talking about"
====================

Messenger: jehosaphat2011 Sent: 4/4/2012 3:42:25 PM

Yes i bretheren. in modern psychology, they teach of Classical Conditioning, where a subject specimen is gradualy and systematicaly designed to behave in a predetermined fashion, by application of certain techniques, such as stimulus variation(+ve ie reward or -ve ie punishment) among other bull. this is the stuff used to train dogs. i think they apply the same to rare a tranquiline civil society. Nevertheless: get Education- is the KEY to world success, yet Production- is the KEY to universal survival.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 4/4/2012 5:12:48 PM

Ark I, give thanks for bringing that Reasoning forward.
Just today I was thinking about one of the modules I chose and thinking how a lot of what they are trying to teach I about is pure filthiness. I took it because the subject looked interesting because it was about animals and how they are depicted and used in culture. But then I get in the class and they are making I and I study things people do with horses that a man wouldn't even think about until they come along and make you read about it. I even say it in the class that some of the things are downright wicked, and everyone agrees, but then the whole class is geared around justifying and rationalising the thing, and by the end, everyone is nodding.
Thankfully I don't have to write anything on those things, so I concentrate on the things that I can write about without submitting a paper full of lies.

Blessed

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 4/4/2012 11:14:46 PM

Im am studying Environmental geology at university right now, I am almost a year away from graduating. I am also attempting to get a music minor. I was first a history major, and although I am good at history and like the subject, I decided to switch to geology to learn more about science and math and explore more numerous career options.

I think certain aspects of geology are interesting, but the babylonian aspect of geology is the oil and gas industry. I have Reasoned about the wickedness of the oil industry in several other Reasonings.

University can help to open up career options and provides the "ticket" to do so, but it is also part of the babylon system and promotes babylonian philosophies and mentalities to the people.

Like Joseph Hill said "Babylon you can't study the Rasta man, go back to college and come again"

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 4/5/2012 8:58:41 AM

Give thanks for the Rasponse is great to hear of so many RasTafarI people standing firm within the educational system, If InI is successful InI will remind I self of those words from Nesta. To I education is like any other tool it can be used for upliftment of self and others or for wickedness and destruction. I know Iself and I Majesty so I is certain babylon cant corrupt I mind.

Blessed Love

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I