Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4622&start_row=21

Nazirite Vows

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Black heart Sent: 5/22/2015 11:52:22 PM

No disrespect to Idem dat follow Nazarite vow but fo I man I no bow to Nazarite. Ital livity is de one dat is ilahful to I but Nazirite vow is turning against I Black Iritage & ancestors. So no nazarite fo I man as an African. I eat fresh grapes since dem are Ital. I don't take any alcoholic drink since alcohol ain't Ital. I avoid cutting, triming & comping I hair since I trod Ital livity. I do go to funerals, near dead bodies & grave yard since dat is part of I Black Iritage. One Black Love

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 5/23/2015 12:08:54 AM

Ina Africa partakin in funerals is a symbol of Black solidarity. When somebody has passed flesh in an African community we go to his or her home to help de familly with funeral preparations. Dis include seting up of a tent for mouners, digging de burial hole in de graveyard, collecting firewood, water & food to be used during de funeral e.t.c. Goin to de graveyard is part of I & I African culture. Troding Rasta livity never stoped I from partakin funerals. Last week I was ina graveyard.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/23/2015 12:48:26 AM

I miss I gramma wake and funeral and that turn I way from funerals,
I memba thinking one day after looking into the eyes of life less body and thinking da person from this body is gone and this body ain them, and thought whats the reason for veiwing the life less body after the life has departed

I feel the family support part and here InI do d same and pretty much celebrate from the of d passing until the da after the funeral but seeing someone phisically for the lasy time tho i guess that cool too but i just rather have another last memory

Bless Up African roots culture heritage

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/23/2015 1:59:01 AM

I don't deal with funerals
Cultural and personal thing

Nothing to do with nazarite

Big up ones and ones who see different

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/4/2015 11:39:33 AM

right now i think the biblical way of following a vow like this is not really possible anymore but i still can do follow those rules for a month in july as a special spiritual experience. even if i have to cut my hair after it and wait until new locks appear afterwards. because if you believe in the bible, its jsut part of it. and if not, i dont cut my hair to follow fashion. locks will return.

Messenger: ZIonChild Sent: 6/23/2015 1:23:35 AM

Hello all, greetings, I started growing natural dreads in 2013, I am thinking about keeping them until, 2017 or 18' would that still be considered a Nazirite vow, even though it is less than 7 years? And Isnt a Rasta still a Rasta even after he cuts his locks, if he keeps all of the same principles?

thanks Blessings

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/23/2015 7:17:43 AM

yes i!

i think following the vow is very complex nowadays. i want to follow it myself next month for only about 30 days to get neglect dreadlocks afterwards. so my dreadlocks will be based on a concept and i think ill follow the rules afterwards as well.

in my understanding its all about five factors:

- you have to find a priest to officially start your vow (in a temple). but because the circumstances of today are way different from the ones of the bible we have to start without this process. you can just inform elders or send a special prayer before you start in my opinion.

- you are not allowed to drink any "strong drinks". everything alcoholic, even vinegar. to me, energy drinks, coffee and even limonade etc. are strong drinks as well. but its basically about alcohol.

- you are not allowed to have death people around you. visiting a cemetery is an idle topic. id avoid it. if somebody dies next to you, you cut the hair that was grown during your time of the vow (or shave completely?) and start again.

- you arent allowed to shave or cut the hair on your head. some say you arent allowed to wash them but i think its all about to get neglect dreadlocks or to give your hair the chance to grow naturally (into locks). the locks are mentioned in the bible.

- afterwards you cut your locks and start to let new ones grow. samson for example or john the baptists are some special examples. they were born into it so samson was allowed to be around dead people. you can also have a vow for life and never cut it. i think there are also some rastas who claim that they folow the vow but its not to be mistaken with the biblical rules. its just their interpretation. they use the vow as a biblical reason to let their dreadlocks grow. because the bible (or specifically paul) says that long hair is a sin so they make a difference between long hair and dreadlocks which are dedicated to god.

to me you follow the bible if you cut your hair and let them grow back. you can cut it. but if you cut it without letting them grow back you can be a righteous and decent human being but i dont know if you can say that you are still follow rasta. the locks are your trademark (to show that you follow a certain lifestyle), your contract (with god), your antenna (a sign to yourself that you are a rasta), your special dedication and its the most natural "haircut" anyways. morgan heritage dont speak for the whole movement. their song "dont haffe dread" is even based on a song called "haffe dread".

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/23/2015 7:37:55 AM

see i see the bible as something distorted by rome. based on african stories. full of false translations. i dont know where the vow is coming from originally so to speak. where they got it from.

but i think its just a great experience, a great lifestyle and i like the way it is adopted by rasta.

Messenger: ras.asher.tafari.israel Sent: 6/30/2015 1:33:06 AM

Rastafari is a strict disciplined culture, there's no such thing as a rasta who shaves drinks liquor or any such thing .law breakers are not rasta.First off sacrificial and cereomial law was done away with je-sus death so u dont have to worry bout that. Secondly when they say clean it means what u put in your mouth so no anominable flesh. Nothing from the vine...and about the women we all know what adultery and fornication is lets not fool ourselves,find a virtuous woman that will quench carnal lust and desire..but further more u cant go to funerals cant be in contact with any woman on her menstrual or touch anything she touches that would also make u unclean. And in closing the 7 year vow is up to u it has to be as least 7 but can be longer if u decide to stay holy unto JAH. hence Aarons beard that went down to the skirts of his garment..i think it takes more then 7 yrs to grow a beard that long..lol...And Paul said WE HAVE NO SUCH CUSTOM IN THE HOUSE OF GOD that long hair is a sin it is given for your covering and glory...blessed brethren hope ive been some help to you.....
HOLY IMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 6/30/2015 7:01:09 AM

James and the Hebrew followers continued following the law, it was Paul and his Gentile followers that didnt follow that, with their Hellenistic mindset

Leonard Howell

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I