Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4357&start_row=1

Alms

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 6/22/2011 10:43:33 AM

greetings,

rastafari say serving alms serves no useful purpose, for the solution is to work. Yet immanuel say give to all who are in want and words of jesus saying sell what u have and give alms. How do i go day to day saving up to go see Zion because i'm supposed to work real soon, i have a job orientation tommorow, so how do InI handle our money to those that need some, do we just say no, and tell them to work, or do we give?

one love

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 6/22/2011 11:15:39 AM

I think Selassie I meant that alms only temporarily alleviate poverty and that the only permanent solution is to provide work for the people.

Have you heard the saying "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 6/22/2011 5:15:39 PM

Yes I, that is what I and I should be practicing.

No problem giving a man a little help in times of trouble, financial or otherwise, but if you make the man dependant on charity then he has been hindered rather than helped. Better to teach skills and good lessons than to simply give cash in hand and send him on his way, only for him to return needing more...

Blessed love.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/23/2011 4:25:56 AM

I was going to explain what Haile Selassie I is teaching, but there is no point. Those with ears to hear will hear, those with eyes to see will see. So I will just let Selassie I do the talking.

Work

The Lion of Judah has prevailed
Haile Selassie I, Elect of God
King of Kings of Ethiopia

Every labourer is a father, his labour is his child. Choose your project carefully and achieve it worthily.

Once a person has decided upon his life work and is assured that in doing the work for which he is best endowed and equipped, he is filling a vital need, what he then needs, is faith and integrity, compiled with courageous spirit so that no longer preferring himself to the fulfilment of his task, he may address himself to the problems he must solve in order to be effective.

Rich and poor have always existed and always will.

Why? Because there are those that work and those that don't, those that wish to earn their living and those that prefer to do nothing.

Those that work, that want to work, are not poor. For it is true that Our Lord the Creator sends us into the world as equals, but it is also true that when one is born one is neither rich nor poor. One is naked.

It is later on that one becomes rich or poor, according to one's desserts.

Yes, we too are aware that giving alms serves no useful purpose. For there is only one means to solve the poverty problem. work.

We have said that whoever doesn't work because he doesn't want to is poor. We have said that wealth has to be gained through hard work. We have said those who don't work starve. And now We add that the capacity to earn depends on the individual: Each individual is responsible for his misfortunes, his fate. It is wrong to expect help to fall from above, as a gift: Wealth has to be deserved. Work is one of the commandments of Our Lord the Creator!

If each and everyone endeavours to cooperate and work in as much as his capacity permits, our faith rests upon the Almighty God that he would bless the results for us.

It is not sufficient simply to see and admire the natural beauty and fertility of Ethiopia.

It is our obligation to work upon and benefit from this country whose fertile soil has been granted us by the Almighty God. We have to gain honour and pride for the country.

Whatever the task may be, man may begin it but he cannot complete it, unless God sustains and supports him. If he fails to accomplish the task on which he has set out, having worked to the best of his ability, he is not to be maligned by being called lazy.

Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 6/26/2011 3:00:36 PM

greetings,

i've been listening to some Ziggy recently, and we share alot of things in common, i didnt grow up in the days of bob marley in poverty and slums, ziggy said i eat for my food, which i find thats what i do. I've been trying to work but nothing really seems to be working, these rude boys want me to be there driver, driving them to pick up ganja, but its too risky. Ziggy said u live life more when ur not working. Parents should lay up for da children and not children for parents, if i wanted something my parents would give me. i wanna be a Ganja farmer, afican herbsman in Zion, jus easy life, and just being made divine through love. i'm at a stage where i'm conquering fears and taking it easy seems da only way to go. My parents dont want me to work. I know they'll always look out for me.

one love

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/26/2011 9:38:32 PM

If you are looking for your parents to give you, you are not a man, but are a boy.

An honourable man could never leach from their parents because they would feel too much shame to do such a thing.

"Cricket, now won't you listen to me, won't you go back and play your fiddle and sing so man"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey chuh! Stop the begging, man!
Yuh mek it look bad pon the whole a we.
You ever see dog gwan pass pon the street,
a come a talk about fatha fatha?
Then all dog a you father too.

Get up and do something for yourselves
Rise up and do something for yourself
Rise up and do something good for yourself
Instead of your begging!
Do something progressive for yourself

One thing I can’t understand
How di beginning dat fe he get so broad?

Look at the children, they are in school
Trying to work hard and further education
Look at granny down a Coronation Market

I can’t believe that young strong man
Stand up on street and stretch out him hand

Get up and do something for yourselves (You can't be bush)

Can’t you be a mechanic?
Can’t you teach yourself to paint a house?
Can’t you make a Dutch pot? Yahba pot!
Can’t you make a pair of shoes?
Can’t you do something with the tailor?

I can’t understand
Everyday you have fi nyam
And you nuh want to work at all (Jah know)
A lazy man eat more than a working man (Him belly bigger)
For him more time to eat the food
While I have to be in the field
See if I can make tomorrow’s meal

The beginning dat to reap the sky
Them seem to a mek skyscraper now

Rise up and work!
Rise up and do something for yourselves
Roast two dumpling, it's for yourselves

This is what I can’t understand:
Women having children for lazy man

I wonder how the pickney them ago nyam
Those children need some education
They have got no mental disability

Lawyers, doctors, teachers of tomorrow
There won’t be no sorrow

That’s all the hope that we have got (So you know what, brother? Mind them)

Sell two callaloo, star
Even two ripe banana

Granny she can wait so long
Yet you want it in a jiffy man

Meekly wait and murmer not

You just a pray fe John Brown fi dead
Why didn't you pray a good prayer for survival?

Everything you see a street yuh want
Everything a street, yuh say you need
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rise up and do something for yourself

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/26/2011 9:41:14 PM

This is from a song sung by Joseph Hill of Culture.

------------------------------------

Mind who you run to brother fe go beg for help

In this time

Chant it out and say

Can't you hear that

If you beg your neighbour bail and you ask to take it to you

Don't even like to see you stretch your neck across the fences, begging a little salt

And when Babylon day my friend

All your disgraces are all gone out on the street

so Mind who you run to brother fe go beg for help

It's medicine talk I say

It's dangerous now

Want me tell you something

Once there was a Cricket and there was a set of Ants

The Cricket loved to play his fiddle in summertime and sing

And then it start to rain, Cricket run to the Ants

And say, "Ants may I have some food"

Ant say, "Cricket, where were you during summer and spring"

He say, "Ant, I was playing my romantic fiddle and songs"

He say, "Cricket, now won't you listen to me, won't you go back and play your fiddle and sing so man"

Have your own things

Jah Jah know it all

Begging alone can't do

Jah RasTafarI see it all.

It's a serious thing.

Be not like the foolish virgins

Who took oil in their lamps

Yet none in there lousy vessels

And decide to trod to Canaan land

And when their oils gone out

They turn to the wise virgin and say

May I have some of your oil

to throw in my lamp to meet the bridegroom

Wise one say to them say

go ye rather to them that sell and buy for yourself

and when they turn back they were all gone out late

and could never ever ever see the bridegroom at all.

so Mind who you run to brother fe go beg for help

His clothes stuck in a bracket

Mek water can boil, come (?skin?)

beggy beggy licky lick him

-Joseph Hill

------------------------------------

Messenger: SuperSmile Sent: 2/27/2012 2:36:17 PM

this post here has made me interested in what work people are doing day in and out.
I at the moment am in a position where i am signing on "JobSeekers" but i want to get out and do some work that is uplifting and provides upliftment for others aswell, i class my self as a musical man but dont have the equipment to record my stuff. What kind of work are we all doing would be my question?

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 3/1/2012 8:09:15 PM

Trust I, don't walk through those job centre doors Idren. I went through that system for a year and a half Idren and there isn't anything for I and I there. They made I sign on for two months but didn't pay I any money, then when they did finally pay I the money, it all went on bus fares to go look for jobs because they want to check and make sure the I's applied for a certain number of jobs or they cut the I's money. That means spending more time keeping all the evidence the I might need to prove the Iself to them. Thing is, in this time, there aren't any jobs out there for the youths, and especially not for I and I Rasta youths who hold the covenant. I spent that year and a half just trodding around walking into shops trying to apply for jobs to store workers who would want a glove to shake I hand with.
On top of that they have a sceme now where they make the I do 'voluntary' work or else they cut the I off of the benefits. Obviously while the I is doing this work, the I can't be out looking to uplift the Iself, so the I is stuck on the pittance they pay the I for jobseekers.
That was before this economical shituation got as bad as it is now as well, so now they are tightening up the system the checks will be more invasive and regular and they'll give the I less money for more grief.

Much better if the I goes out and builds something for the Iself. At the moment I'm mainly just relying on a little herbs and some jewelery for I income because I gardening business has slowed down in the winter and money is tight anyway. But I keep Iself busy with I studies and RastafarI works. Strangely enough I also ended up in the local music scene, but not because I intended it. It is just one of the only avenues that is fully open to I in babylon provided I and I have the links. I don't make any money out of it yet, but I've linked with the local soundsystem for I works to promote RastafarI business anyway so in future I can develop that.

Hope that helps the I Idren.

Blessed love

Messenger: SuperSmile Sent: 3/2/2012 10:31:11 AM

yes thank you

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I