Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4340&start_row=1

Borrowing money with interest?

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: foxtrotzulu Sent: 6/1/2011 8:19:40 AM

I was wondering is it acceptable for a Rasta to borrow money and pay it back with interest? The bible says I should not lend anybody with interest... but what if I borrow that money and thanks to it I may do some good (even though the lender is benefiting from somebody's misfortune without adding any value to the society).

Lets say a Rasta is borrowing a big sum of money (legally) to start a business to help few people in need (employ them). If the business fails all employees may have to (but mostly the business owner) participate in paying back the debt with interest.

Bless

PS.: I am new here so excuse me if this is not the right place to ask. It might be a stupid question - sorry

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/1/2011 9:05:57 AM

The bible speaks about not lending money to your brothers and sisters with interest(not just immediate brothers or sisters, but all of Israel), it isn't refering to lending to anybody. This was said to encourage people to help their brothers and sisters, so that the family could become stronger.

If you need to borrow money, then go ahead. For I, I would not feel right to borrow money from I brothers and sisters without giving them some interest in return, unless I was borrowing the money only for a few days. So I think it is good to give something in return, even if it is offered for no interest.

In regards to the employees helping to pay the money back, I don't think they should have any responsibility for that. If a person is an equal partner, then they should bear some of the responsibility, otherwise they shouldn't.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 6/1/2011 9:07:51 AM

I personally don't see any trouble with borrowing money with interest to forward with a good cause but as always with money, I and I must be careful. Getting into debt is dangerous and can bring all sorts of trials and tribulations with it.
If the I does borrow money to start this business, make sure to keep on top of the finances and make sure the I can pay it back.
Babylon's money system uses debt to profit itself and it pays for them to keep people in debt so do the research and make sure the I is armed with all the information the I needs to trod through it without getting trapped.

Blessed.

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I