Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3809&start_row=1

Are we that different?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: just a friend Sent: 1/13/2010 4:26:44 PM

Recently, I have been looking into Rasta as a religion and a way of life. I'm trying to understand the differences between it and Christianity, because I consider myself a Christian. As I understand, the main difference in religion is the belief in Emperor Haile Selassie I as a divine figure, though there are disagreements on whether it's as messiah or prophet like Moses. I also see that it is a distancing of oneself from organized and binding rituals and sacraments, and from hypocritical people who do not practice what they preach. However, at the church I attend(a methodist church) we emphasize that labels and denominations are not important, because we are all worshipping the same God, and that the rituals are not important, it's the meaning we put behind them and our coming together that's important. I just would like to know if I'm missing something, and if someone like myself would be welcome worshipping alongside someone who calls himself a Rastafarian.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/13/2010 10:55:19 PM

If the I spent time with RasTafarI people, the I would see other differences.

RasTafarI people can pray with anybody who is not against the Most High, but I and I will never convert to be anybody else, I and I will always be RasTafarI.

Messenger: Ras Joseph Sent: 1/24/2010 6:16:10 AM

Haile di Powers of di MOST HIGH,di way Iman sight it IanI as followers of Rastafari see IanI as di true Jews and Christians at di same time.IanI abide by di commandments given to Moses from di MOST I,and by di teachings of Yeshua di Messiah Selassie I is di defender of di faith.If di I is considering Rastafari livity check out di Twelve Tribes or Fullfilled Rastafari.Jah bless

Messenger: Life Africa Sent: 1/24/2010 8:22:31 AM

Just a freind
As I understand, the main difference in religion is the belief in Emperor Haile Selassie I as a divine figure, though there are disagreements on whether it's as messiah or prophet like Moses.

Well you must understand, that is our core belief. Just as it is the core belief for a Christian to believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose on the 3rd day. Without that belief Christianity is invalid. Likewise it is the core belief that Selassie I is the return of the Christ as described in Revelations as King of kings lord of lords, and the conquering lion of the tribe of Judah. Nobody else in the world was crowned conquering lion of the tribe of Judah except for his majesty.
Just a friend
I also see that it is a distancing of oneself from organized and binding rituals and sacraments

Well I do not know who told you that. Rastafarians do have rituals that we remember the Sabath day and to keep it holy. That is a ritual that is performed once a week. I know one rasta preist who has not missed a sabath day in over seven years. I can't speak for all Rastas, but a large portion of us meet on the Sabath to worship Jah and to give praise.
Just a friend
I just would like to know if I'm missing something, and if someone like myself would be welcome worshipping alongside someone who calls himself a Rastafarian.
Only you can answer that question. If you are willing to give praise to HIM (His imperial Majesty) then who would not welcome you? Jah turns no man away. Only men get caught up in judgeing each other and vain imaginations.

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/24/2010 12:39:09 PM

Just a friend

Ignore those who tell yuh that the divinity of His Majesty is ini core belief.

The main difference with Rasta is that we make a distinction between what we might believe and what we know

We KNOW that His Majesty is the Almighty.

Messenger: Life Africa Sent: 1/24/2010 12:55:34 PM

Fikre Jahnhoi,

The divinity of his majesty is not the core belief? Then what else is rastafari built upon? How can one subtract the divinity of HIM as the main cornerstone to our belief? Please share your infinite wisdom with us.

And can you please not drag tit for tats from one thread into another. If you have something to say here, then just state your opinion and move on. You and I will probably never see eye to eye. No need to loose any sleep over it, or follow me from thread to thread looking for an argument. I teach my children my way, and you can teach your children your way, if you have any.

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/24/2010 1:08:06 PM

"The divinity of his majesty is not the core belief? Then what else is rastafari built upon? How can one subtract the divinity of HIM as the main cornerstone to our belief? Please share your infinite wisdom with us."

yuh see, just a friend, this is someone who still cant seperate belief from knowledge
after i said, we know His Majesty is the Almighty, this person says, how can we subtract the divinity of HIM as the main cornerstone to our belief?

Just a friend, im trying to make it clear for yuh,
Rastafari is "built upon" the core KNOWLEDGE of His Majestys divinity and supremacy

Life Africa, pls stop being idiotic, i have already said i am done with yuh
just cos i speak against something yuh said, dont mean i am following yuh, or i am speaking against yuh
stop being so vain, this has nothing to do with yuh
if anyone else said what yuh said about beliefs, i would say the same ting

if "just a friend" is your child, let i know, and i will let yuh say whatever yuh want to say to him or her

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/24/2010 1:28:21 PM

So, just a friend

Yuh know what yuh say when a person converts from one religion to another, one denomination to another ?
Yuh say that person has changed their belief

Yuh know what ini say when a person "converts" from Rastafari to one of the religions ?
ini say that person never know the King anyway, all they had was belief to begin with

Yuh know what ini say when a person who KNOW Rastafari "converts" to one of the religions ?
Nothing, cos there is no such person

Once yuh know, yuh know

Yuh cant compare Rastafari to any religion cos Rastafari is not a belief system
Rastafari is gaining knowledge, and the first knowledge one must gain is the divinity of the King of all Kings

Messenger: Life Africa Sent: 1/24/2010 1:48:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwj6Xm2hSk&feature=related

Messenger: Life Africa Sent: 1/24/2010 2:08:17 PM

Fikre Jahnhoi
Life Africa, pls stop being idiotic, i have already said i am done with yuh
just cos i speak against something yuh said, dont mean i am following yuh, or i am speaking against yuh
stop being so vain, this has nothing to do with yuh
if anyone else said what yuh said about beliefs, i would say the same ting

if "just a friend" is your child, let i know, and i will let yuh say whatever yuh want to say to him or her

No I do not have any children posting on this board. My reference was that I will teach my children, and you can teach yours. In other words leave teaching to your own household. As far as the core of Rastafarianism, I do BELIEVE that each of us are comfortable with whatever knowledge we have aquired as Rastas. I do not want you to change the way I think, and I am not here to change the way you think. I came to reason not convert.

And just for the record, does not the bible speak of "FAITH AND BELIEF"? "BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN ME AND BELIEVE". Does the bible not say, "FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD". Therefore faith as well as works are both required. Paul stated that "FAITH IS THS SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR AND THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN". Now watch you jump all over me for misquoting a word or two in those phrases lol.

And I am not the vain one here. I am not calling people fools just because they do not subcribe to my brand of thinking. To say that you KNOW everything as a Rasta, then you also are saying that you are equal to God/JAH. For JAH is the only wise God. Some things do require faith and belief. Humble yourself Ras.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I