Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3789&start_row=1

Word........Spoken or Heard ?

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 12/28/2009 2:02:11 PM

Blessed Love Lords and Empress

So mi a wonder say, what is of more importance, what i man say and what the intent behind i words is, OR, what you hear mi say and what you think is the intent behind i words?

Mi a listen to this song ere, by Richie Spice called,Dont call me no dog.

"why yuh haffe see yourself as the worst"

"i know thats not what Macus Garvey stand for"

these are some of the lyrics him say pon the song

and i man just cant help but ask, what is the point,brethren ?

Of course, we know a who him a talk about, the youths mostly in america, and all the youths who love hiphop culture, youths who call each other "dog"

As a Ras, mi know where Richie a come from, and mi nah need anyone call me dog neither.

But to i, it is more important to try to overs what the intent is behind certain words and why people use them words, seen, instead of just dis_miss_ing it just because of what the words mean to i personally

So, Richie a talk about, Dog a litter peoples yards, and them kinda ting there
But why Richie dont try to sight that when the youths call one another "dog", what they are doing is taking the POSITIVE characteristics of a dog....but Richie is too busy pointing out the NEGATIVE characteristics of a dog

Richie dont see that when a youth points to another youth and say, thats my dog, the youth is saying, thats my brethren....the youth a pick up on the positive characteristics, such as the complete and unwavering loyalty of a dog

see what mi a say?

Alright, mi a put it this way, ini as Rastafari identify with the Lion, with the royal majesty of the lion, ini use it as a symbol of ini strength and regal character but
ofcourse, a lion is still an animal, and only a fool would think a lion doesnt have negative(from a human point of view) characteristics

So, what would iman look like if i was to say, dont call mi no lion cos i do not make my little cubs wait until i have my meal first
you see me?

foolish, i think

alright, mi a take it another way
mek i talk about dragons

To most of ini who grow inna this , i guess some would call it, judeochristian world, the word dragon has negative connotations, the dragon, satan the old dragon, a terrible and fierce creature, St Mikael slaying the dragon, all these things
that is the meaning that the word carries to most of ini, and thats fine
But then, i go to the east, far east, and it a totally different story, the dragon has nothing but positive connotations
So much so, that in places like China, dragon, is a common nickname for male children, (as Phoenix is for female children), and it signifys only strength and greatness of character and spirit.

So, if i man go to the local video rental place and i want to rent Bruce Lees Enter the Dragon, what should i man thought process be when i consider the word dragon in the title, should i be thinking about what the word means to i , or what it means to the culture that the movie is dealing with ?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/28/2009 10:53:47 PM

In regards to this,

------------------------
So mi a wonder say, what is of more importance, what i man say and what the intent behind i words is, OR, what you hear mi say and what you think is the intent behind i words?
------------------------

If a person thinks it is important that when I and I hear what a person says, I and I make sure that I and I Iverstand what the person is saying and their intention and resist being quick to misunderstanding; then I advice to them is to make sure that when they speak, that they are careful to say exactly what they want to say, so that they don't cause misunderstanding when their words are heard.

If a person deals with the second part of what I just said, then I advice to them is to also deal with the first part.

The Reason I say that is because usually when people think one of those things, they think that way because they want to speak with usefulness, and not just blow breath in uselessness. So they should deal with both parts because both are of the same Intention and Direction.

And on the other side of it. They should not expect the same from others, because it will be a vain expectation that will too often dissappoint. I and I are appointed and can never be disappointed, so instead of expecting this from others, I and I should give thanks to the Most High Selassie I when a One comes along and Lives the same.

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 12/28/2009 11:39:19 PM

well, in regards to i question, i think the i answer is right, and i have no disagreement with that, seen, but, i think i could have made my question more accurate

what i man really was wondering is that certain words have different meanings to different people, it coulda depend pon where the i come from, or the i cultural foreground etc, you see me ? certain words carry different sound power to different people

so before i am concerned about what kinda sound power a certain word carries to i , should i first be concerned about finding out and overstanding what kinda sound power that word carries to that person who is speaking it?

or is it the other way around

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 12/28/2009 11:49:25 PM

iman been iditating on this since writing it, and i think, the answer that satisfy i so far is this

Use discretion according to each situataion

Discretion> Ability or power to decide responsibly.

yes, i think i can satta with that for now

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/31/2009 12:02:20 AM

In regards to this:
------------------------------------
what i man really was wondering is that certain words have different meanings to different people, it coulda depend pon where the i come from, or the i cultural foreground etc, you see me ? certain words carry different sound power to different people

so before i am concerned about what kinda sound power a certain word carries to i , should i first be concerned about finding out and overstanding what kinda sound power that word carries to that person who is speaking it?

or is it the other way around

What the I said in the next post:
Use discretion according to each situataion

Is basically what I was going to say. To give a couple of examples, if a person come around and want to Learn RasTafarI way, or if a person is saying some words and the I don't think they really Iverstand what they are saying, to show them the meaning of the word and the power it holds is a good thing.

If a person come around and uses a word according to the meaning of their culture, then the sound power that is coming from them goes forth according to their Spirit, and it should be taken as that, not how it would go forth if the I would have said the same word.

The I gave a few examples of dragons and other animals. Another one is wolf, many including most of I and I RasTafarI people, talk about wolf in sheep clothing, so wolf is a symbol of imposters who are posing as I and I. But to the First Nations people of North America, wolf is not negative, it is a word and symbol that holds Strength and Inity.

Messenger: RootsTafari Sent: 1/8/2010 1:34:45 AM

greetings!
I for one find it foolish weh di ppl dem call each other foolish words like 'dog' etc. you find dat it's da mans who come up wit dat culture. I sight dat it's coz da females are referred to as bihtces so da males want to call each other wit da same concept. remember dat in some instances some females esp in da US sometimes like being called bihtces in a way dat it mek like dem is feline like 'soo bad' or something; when dem do certain bad ting to someone dem no like. it's foolish but then again when one's in da western world you start thinkin up foolish terminologies dat're meaningless and offensive to dem who have self raspeck. it's all foolish talk is what it is...

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/8/2010 11:01:06 AM

foolish terminologies dat're meaningless

mi idren, you shoulda know all terminologies are meaningless.....until ini as uman beings give them a meaning and a definition.

what iman find foolish, is to judge a person as having less self raspect than you jus through that person might use words like "dog".

A this mi know about self raspect
dem say, if one cyant raspect themself, dem cyant raspect others
therefore, mi sight dat, if a one raspects others, then its a must they already raspect themselves
And when mi look at what isperience has taught i, i sight that, i have met people who use words like "dog" and even de so called "N" word, and they have shown i more raspect than some who have called i Brother.

dat was the point of dis yah post
the i might find words like "dog" offensive, dats fine and well, truth is, so do i
but mi nah vain enough to judge others by my own standards, for Jah created us equal, i am not above anyone, i just trod my trod.......To Holy I Mount Zion I

Messenger: RootsTafari Sent: 1/11/2010 3:49:21 AM

greetings I,

I find it foolish dat someone may tink it shows some level of raspect if they're called 'dog' and 'BITCH'! some may take it as a complement but I follow da I Majesty in using intelligent words when complementing someone! I don't fear to sterilise someone with my foot if they claim they're showing me raspect by calling I a bitch or something. just cah someone is smiling when dem call you N don't mean it's raspect! it's about time we stop looking to the foolish western culture of showing raspect and start raspecting I I's wit positive word sounds.. but then again, I could be 'judgemental' by having this mindset.. :-I

its actually 'sistren' and not 'idren', idren! :-I

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/11/2010 4:12:19 AM

"I find it foolish dat someone may tink it shows some level of raspect if they're called 'dog' and 'BITCH'!"

TRUE dat, as long as yuh remember that is equally foolish to automatically assume that it shows a level of disrespect if someone says "dog"
that was the whole point

I wont speak of "bitch", i never brought up that word, yuh did.

i would neva stand anyone call any of i sisters that word, there isa limit to my tolerance

"just cah someone is smiling when dem call you N don't mean it's raspect"

True,but equally True, it doesnt automatically mean disrespect
that was the whole point ARRRHHHHHH

that is what i mean by being "judgemental"
I neva meant yuh dont have the right to judge if someone is showing yuh raspect or disraspect
yuh have every right, same as anyone
the whole point was consider all factors and dont just judge on face value

Am i really that hard fe overs, or do the i them just reply just for the sake of replying ?

When i say bredrin i mean, bredrin
when i say sistren i mean, sistren
when i say idren, i mean bredrin and sistren

I wasnt sure if the i was a sistren or bredrin, hence mi said idren

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I