Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3720&start_row=1

Fear

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/27/2009 11:22:04 AM

Fear is a state of nervousness fit for children and not men. When man fears a creature like himself he offends God, in whose image and likeness he is created. Man being created equal fears not man but God.

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 10/27/2009 2:02:27 PM

very true,
fear is also one of the biggest sins, because if thier is fear the is no faith.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/27/2009 2:53:12 PM

Apologies, i should have said, Marcus Garvey say so.

Yes, Jah Bird, more faith equals less fear, so the just shall live by faith. The lord is my shepherd,whom shall i fear ?
Yes, fear of another is a sin, as Garvey say, it is an offense unto God.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/27/2009 11:07:42 PM

Yes I, fear is faith in weakness.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/28/2009 12:10:51 AM

An interesting thought for ones to consider would be.....

The whole purpose of ones life is to draw near to God
But one wouldnt draw near to someone or something which one fears, would one ?

So what does it really mean to fear God?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/28/2009 12:31:34 AM

When it is said to fear God, it has to do with giving proper Respect to the Most High.

Those that Trust and have Faith in God have no need to fear God.

But those that have no Trust or Faith in God and are bold enough to imagine that they can be greater than God and go against the Most High, must know that they should fear God. The fear is for those that are against the Most High.

The wicked and sinful must fear God, because their lack of God will destroy them.

The I said,
-----------------
But one wouldnt draw near to someone or something which one fears, would one ?
-----------------

The I can look at it this way
--------------------------
Those that refuse to draw near must fear God, because their path is destruction.
--------------------------

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/28/2009 2:20:10 AM

Ark I, you wrote
When it is said to fear God, it has to do with giving proper Respect to the Most High.
That is a most important point, one which deserves further reasoning, but for now i just wanted to make something clear.

You will notice that when i put this question into consideration, i was addressing it to ones and ones here, including myself and also you.

So what i was asking was not only, what does it mean to fear God, but i was asking, what does it mean FOR US to fear God.
The wicked and sinful are not really in consideration here

You said
Those that Trust and have Faith in God have no need to fear God.

This is a little problematic, atleast to my line of thought right now.
Because what you are saying is, the righteous have no need to fear God.
Since my initial query was basically what does it mean for the righteous to fear God, you see how that clashes

The way i see it, the righteous must fear God, in fact, i will go so far as to say, the more righteous one is , the more fear of God one has....and ofcourse vice versa

All need to fear God, the righteous and the sinful too, but we already know the wicked do not fear God or they would not continue their wicked ways, so never mind them

I think we would all agree that Abraham was a righteous man, yes?
God tested this man, told him to sacrifice his son
Why? what about this man was being tested ?
Well, when he was about to sacrifice his son, the angel of the Lord said to him
Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

So, not only must the righteous fear God, but here we see from Abraham, that he actually proves his righteousness by showing true fear of God

So, as i suggested before, its good to consider what fear of God actually means,..just a suggestion, on this point i am not really looking for answers

to my mind to consider such a question, and to figure out even a small part of it, is to come to a small overstanding of how much God loves us.....and what makes us boast of our God

Messenger: osar Sent: 10/28/2009 12:44:35 PM

psalm25
12 what man is he that feared the lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
13 his soul shall dwell at ease, and his seed shall inherit the earth.
14 the secret of the lord is with them that fear him.
fear him

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/29/2009 10:57:41 AM

12 what man is he that feared the lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.13 his soul shall dwell at ease.

If a one says he fears God while fearing others just like him, then that one is either lying or deceiving his/herself.
Only when one truly fears God will one free him/her self from fear of another
why?
Because true fear of God comes from the knowledge, overstanding and acceptance of the fact that its only God who has power and authority.
Once one knows this, one will inevitably come to the obvious conclusion that all others are powerless

Once one knows this, the next question one would ask would be, where and in whom do i put my faith ?
The wise will choose to put their faith on the only One who has power and authority and not on those who are powerless and without authority.

Jah Bird said, "if there is fear, there is no faith"
and thats true..but, its only true if the fullness of that statement is.......
if there is fear of others, there is no faith in God.
Again, this is true
because if one fears others, then that one is confused on who has the real power and authority, and if one is confused about this, then one will be confused in whom to put his faith.
The sheep must know that only the shepherd has the authority to lead, and only the shepherd has power over the life of the sheep.
One sheep will never have power over another sheep, no matter how big and bold that sheep wants to act

But now when we speak of God alone, that statement from Jah Bird has to change to almost the opposite....meaning, i can say

the more fear , the more faith......
and the fullness of this statement would be,
the more fear of God one has, the more faith one will put in God, because by his recognition that the only one with power is the only one to be feared, he will overstand that he can only put his faith in the same one who has this power

And the more faith one puts in God, the more one will be open and receptive to Godly instructions
Thats why the Psalm says "he that feared the lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose."
Fear of God leads to faith in God, which leads you to draw near to God, and if you draw near to HIM, He will draw near to you

Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 10/29/2009 7:23:45 PM

sometimes not fearing turns to hate a little

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I