Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3682&start_row=1

Sleep

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 9/14/2009 7:42:41 PM

How much sleep should I and I get? I know that Selassie I often slept very little, as shown in the Dr. Hoffman interview:

At 76 years of age, His Imperial Majesty continues to work a twenty hour day, with three hours for sleep and one devoted to prayer. Emperor Haile Selassie and I talked about many things on that day during the rainy season.

I, personally, need to get at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep or I feel really drowsy the next day. If I don't sleep enough I start dosing off in class and I don't pay attention as well as if I get more sleep.

Perhaps I need to strengthen I body to function with less sleep. I can function on less hours of sleep, but I body is noticeably weaker and I think I get sick easier when I don't get enough sleep. For now though, I have to get up early in the morning to catch the bus and go to 8:00 AM classes, so I try to get as much sleep as I can get.

I have heard of various monks and gurus who can function without much sleep however.

And Selassie I is the Almighty, so it wouldn't surpise I that Selassie I only needs 3 hours of sleep. I still think that it is amazing that Selassie I worked a 20 hour day at age 76 and only slept 3 hours.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 9/14/2009 9:20:11 PM

I and I can condition our body to handle many things. Fasting can condition our body so that hunger doesn't rule I and I. So that if a situation comes where I and I can't get food, I and I will be alright for more time than people who have not taught their body.

I and I can also condition ourself to sleep less. In time, it is no longer such a burden because our body adjusts.

It is good to condition your body so that the I can stay a whole night without sleep. So that when a time comes when the I needs to do it, the I will be able.

One thing Ones and Ones must remember, is that if the I sleeps less, than the I must be in Iditation more. Without enough time spent in Prayer and Iditation, lacking sleep will be more harmful. I and I gather energy from the sun that needs to be used either in sleep or Iditation. If the flow of energy is hindered, the build up will be damaging.

Don't feel bad if the I can't sleep only 3 hours like Selassie I and some others, it is not necessary for everybody to sleep less. Different people have different works.

Messenger: FarI-Sight Sent: 9/18/2009 7:26:18 AM

Sleep replenishes your life force or vital force, also known as your CHI in Chinese Science, Ki in Japanese, Ra in Ancient Egyptian, Prana in hindu, Kundalini in Black Indus Kush, what Latin tradition calls Animus/Anima, it is the dynamic, unseen, spiritual animating principle, the holy spirit, the inergy of Jah within all.

This life force is what maintains you in health and the more powerful one has cultivated it the more spiritual and conscious one is. This is what you are trying to raise when you meditate, the said energy of the sun, just as a fire (life force) which heats up a room, and the more it does it causes the mercury level (spirituality)in a thermometer to rise.

This is what is out of balance when one is ill, and so this is what Natural Healers work with to restore wholeness and equilibrium.

If one doesn't sleep, and most Westerners are sleep deprived, then your life force will not be recharged replenished, and your spiritual consciousness will not be raised, and your health will decline also.

Blessed Love

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 9/18/2009 7:40:06 PM

FarI-Sight,

it is interesting that all those different cultures have terms to describe the same thing (perhaps this points to a common origin? In Ethiopia perhaps?)

JAH RasTafarI Bless

Messenger: lholy Sent: 10/2/2009 8:50:19 AM

greetings..FarI-sight..I&I thank you for the say about sleep.... I will keep my time of resting...stay bless

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I