Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3589&start_row=11

When we love

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/23/2009 11:34:42 AM

It wasnt my intention to make this a reasoning about fasting, but all well and good, i will say one more thing about it

Concerning,the Buddha Sidharta,the prince.
Prior to his enlightenment, he spent a period of time as a wandering ascetic. He fasted so much that he reduced himself to a living skeleton.
After six years of this,he found that it was not the way to get to where he wanted.
He abandoned this method, considering it to be a method of excess.
This is when he started on what is called the "middle way", a way of moderation in which he rejected both too much indulgence and too much self mortification.

I think we would all do well to learn from his mistake.

SunofMan, i will still stand by what i said regarding self flaggelation, it dont matter much to me if you can find evidence of it in Ethiopia.
I can overs what you say about "arduous acts of asceticism" . We can look at ones like St Tekle Haimanot, who is said to have stood for so long that one of his legs fell off and continued standing on one foot for seven more years.
These people are examples of the concept of mind over matter

But when you talk about self flagellation, i would not say these acts are done out of an intense love of Igziabiher, i would say they are done out of a misguided love of Igziabiher.

At the end of the day, all i know is i Father Emperor Selassie I, and i know enough of HIM to know ,thats not how He wants i to show my Love for HIM.
I am Rastafari, i leap and shout in Joy before i Father, I dance as did i forefather King David dance with all his might

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 6/23/2009 4:02:00 PM

I have really enjoyed reading the reasonings! Give thanks everyone!

SunofMan, I would really love to read more about the extreme arduous acts of aceticism practiced by the Ethiopian Saints.
Would you mind posting the material?

Give thanks!

Selam!

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 6/24/2009 7:42:35 AM

Yeah...I hear the I...the "middle way" makes good sense too, and I certainly have nothing against it. I think though that in relation to love and suffering there could be something in the practice of asceticism. I'm not recommending people embrace this idea, I'm just pointing out that it has been a tool for a lot of people for a very long time.

"These people are examples of the concept of mind over matter"

That was the point...and I think some are actually dealing with a sense of suffering prior to the practice of asceticism, and they use it as a tool to break through some barrier they are experiencing.

"But when you talk about self flagellation, i would not say these acts are done out of an intense love of Igziabiher, i would say they are done out of a misguided love of Igziabiher."

I will say that I can't fully agree as I can't speak for the individuals practicing these things. Perhaps some are totally misguided, I'm sure there have been many, but there's got to be some who knew what they were doing and why they were doing it and were using the method as a tool.

The quote, when applied to the love of Jah, holds very true for many who have had great faith.

Ras-I-Tom, when I have some more time I'll quote some books I have on Ethiopian Saints and their lives, in a new thread.

Also, I just wanted to add that the book I was talking about a minute ago, "Sayings of the Desert Fathers", really speaks to a lot of the things that are brought up in this forum, I think Ones here would really find that book a joy.

Selam

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 6/24/2009 11:04:57 AM

Thankyou SonofMan.
I shall be ordering the book soon also.

Blessed!
Selam!

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I