Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3536&start_row=1

Leonard Howell....honorable? Ras Tafari?

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 5/20/2009 10:07:15 PM

This is not written by me, i am posting this to see what the I them think.

Leonard Howell the father of the Rastafarian movement.

In 1933, Leonard Howell gave the Rastafarians six principles:

(1) hatred for the White race

(2) the complete superiority of the Black race

(3) revenge on Whites for their wickedness

(4) the negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica

(5) preparation to go back to Africa and

(6) acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of Black people.

RESPONSE:

"(1) hatred for the White race

"We must live in peace with our former colonizers, shunning recrimination and bitterness and fore-swearing the luxury of vengeance and retaliation, lest the acid of hatred erode our souls and poison our hearts."
-Qedamawi Haile Selassie

(2) the complete superiority of the Black race

"As we extend the hand of universal brotherhood to all, without regard to race or colour, so we condemn any social or political order which distinguishes among God's children on this most specious of grounds."
-QHS

(3) revenge on Whites for their wickedness

"Since this is so, do not reward evil for evil, do not commit any act of cruelty like those which the enemy committed against us. Do not allow the enemy any occasion to foul the good name."

"We believe in the peaceful settlement of all disputes without resorting to force."
-QHS

(4) the negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica

""From another point of view, this is precisely why the OAU has been established. It is because the African Continent, which comprises more than 250 million people, if it were to remain divided among more than 30 states, their individual voices would not carry weight. It is precisely why, since there is an identity of interest, we have attempted to include Jamaica."
-QHS

(5) preparation to go back to Africa and

"“It has been due, in no small part, to your profound religious faith and ideals. . . . It is only natural, therefore, that we Africans should follow with deepest interest the inspiring achievements and contributions of the peoples of African origin in the United States.”
-QHS speaking to youths in Chicago.

In 1955, Haile Selassie grants 500 acres of land for Afrikans of the Diaspora.

(6) acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of Black people.

“The love shown by our God to mankind should constrain all of us who are followers and disciples of Christ, to do all in our power to see to it that the message of salvation is carried to those of our fellows for whom Christ our Savior was sacrificed but who have not had the benefit of hearing the good news.”
-QHS

"No doubt you all remember reading in the Acts of the Apostles how Philip baptized the Ethiopian official. He is the first Ethiopian on record to have followed Christ, and from that day onwards the Word of God has continued to grow in the hearts of Ethiopians.”
-QHS

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/21/2009 10:29:49 AM

Greetings...

Interesting...AnyOne ever read Dread History Millenarian Visions ( I think that's what its called, that's close anyways) It's a brief biographical account of Leonard Howell, very interesting stuff. Promised Key is, as well...a lot to think on. He deserves big credit though, big credit. The Ize know he lived into the early 80's....saw so much from the roots till then....people go through revelations in their life. I think those principles were written in his more militant days, I would love to hear interviews with'im in the latter days.

Selam

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 5/21/2009 5:19:42 PM

What I ask Iself is did Leonard Howell really have access or hear His Majesty words, because a lot of what he says goes against His teachings. I get the vibe that he just spoke his own mind, and attributed it to His Majesty...which I can't agree with.

I and I know what His Majesty stood for.

For example:

"Adam Abraham Anglo-Saxon the leper has no place in this earth if you please"

"There is no book in the Bible for the Anglo Saxon Creation, there is no book of Isaac or his father Abraham in the New Testament."

"King Alpha the Most Sacred and Everlasting God, Heaven and Earth's creator, said that Adam Abraham-Anglo Saxon whit people are not entitled to any eternal reward according to his schedule"

parts from the promised key.

The I them can read it here
http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/tpk/index.htm

The man dealt with hatred though...

It also seems that he was under the impression that Adam and Abraham are anglo saxons??

Selam.

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 6/8/2009 3:25:37 PM

I am bringing this back up because no one except sunofman relied. And this is something I really wanted to reason with everyone about. I have read through the promise key by Leonard Howell, and some parts seem like nonsence. Such as referring to Adam and Abraham as anglo saxons, and saying that the anglo saxon (white man), who he seems to think is a leper has no place on earth, also eternal life is not for them. Also the rejection of the old testament because he appears to think that Adam and Abraham and Isaac where anglo saxons.

I want to reason with the I them because it seems as though some of Howell's words contradict His Majesty.

I do not want to cause no contention or strife. I am just comparing the promise key to Haile Selassie I words and I am wondering.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/8/2009 3:43:06 PM

Some of the things he speaks are from the minds of people before they learned the Mind and Irits of Selassie I through Selassie I Example and Teachings. So they carried those former things into RasTafarI.

Here is something I reasoned before

----------------------------------------
The reason why RasTafarI is for all Jah Righteous people, no matter where they are from, is because of RasTafarI Haile Selassie I.

When RasTafarI people saw the Example and Teachings of Haile Selassie I, they filtered out the parts of the teachings of others that were contrary to Selassie I, and kept the parts that were One with Haile Selassie I.

This is Judgement Time, and RasTafarI people are performing the works of the Seven Seals. That distinguishes who is or is not RasTafarI, not the colour of their skin.

RasTafarI is a New Race to the world, but is the oldest Race of all. One.

As I God says,

When I spoke at Geneva in 1936, there was no precedent for a head of state addressing the League of Nations. I am neither the first, nor will I be the last head of state to address the United Nations, but only I have addressed both the League and this Organization in this capacity.

The problems which confront us today are, equally, unprecedented. They have no counterparts in human experience. Men search the pages of history for solutions, for precedents, but there are none.

This, then, is the ultimate challenge. Where are we to look for our survival, for the answers to the questions which have never before been posed?

We must look, first, to Almighty God, Who has raised man above the animals and endowed him with intelligence and reason. We must put our faith in Him, that He will not desert us or permit us to destroy humanity which He created in His image.

And we must look into ourselves, into the depth of our souls. We must become something we have never been and for which our education and experience and environment have ill-prepared us. We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community.

----------------------------------------

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 6/8/2009 3:51:01 PM

Thankyou for your reply Ark I!
Give thanks!

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 6/9/2009 7:31:03 AM

What is fulfillment, if its not the link between problems and solutions?

I have my own reservations about Leonard Howell, but its not for us to judge on. Some people are higher by their works... you need to learn that Ras I Tom. You are going a bit far now. You are becoming insulting to Rastafari.

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 6/9/2009 9:19:09 AM

I will cease with the questions Yaa. The last thing I want to do is be insulting. I just have questions that is all. But Ark I answered my question.

I am sorry to all the ones who found my recent posts insulting.

Messenger: RasPadaItion Sent: 6/11/2010 8:40:42 PM

Honourable Venerable Howell©

By RasPadaItion®

Refrain

Hail the High Honourable Venerable Leonard Percival Howell

The truth of Haile Sellassie a him first tell

Gongunguru Maragh is Rasta’s first Emanuel

That’s why dem send him to asylum and prison cell

Verse 1

It was July 16 1898 that he came on the land

At Redlands near Crooked River in Clarendon

He was among the first to start hail the Conquering Lion

Within three year after the coronation

He Hinds and Hibbert were the founders of Rastafari Nation

Howell started his mission in Kingston the capital of the island

St Thomas was his nest destination

This was he got his first big congregation.

Verse 2

Howell was the main target for Babylon persecution

In 1934 Howell and Hinds were charge with sedition

For this they gave him two years if incarceration

In 1936 they send him to Bellevue like a mad man

He was chased out of St. Thomas by pastors the people and the politician

He went to St Catherine before 1941

There at Pinnacle he bought over 500 acres of land

Here was were the first set of Rastas lived as one

Over 4500 children woman and man

Here everything was under cultivation

There was a bakery, shoe a whitewash production

Self Reliance is the key for the African nation

Verse 3

He was reviled and persecuted for Rastafari name

Dem try every thing fi bring him sorrow and shame

Dutty Rasta a shame di society that was their claim

Dem send him a jail and mad house but di lion cyaa tame

Howell knew the power of Haile Sellassie I name

Bob use di name and get acclaim wid world wide fame

But now a Rastafari is the one spreading Jamaican name

Rastafari is the one bringing Jamaica fame

A Rastafari teach the nation the survival game

check this link and learn about Howell & the Roots of rastafari
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/zionstein

Messenger: Danel Sent: 6/23/2010 8:23:56 PM

@ Ras I Tom

Was there not 13 principles of Leonard Howell? Why did you only choose 6? Also is anyone to judge a brother who is oppressed? The bible states that oppression makes a wise man mad !

Ecclesiastes 7:7 "Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad".

Isra-EL

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I