Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3421&start_row=1

Stem cells

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 3/15/2009 5:50:32 PM

I heard the Obama administration lifted restrictions on stem cell research.

Stem cell researchers have the mentality that it is worth it to kill life to potentially find cures for diseases, and they also want to grow organs from stem cells.

Embryonic Stem cell research is immoral.

Praises be to JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ten Sent: 3/18/2009 2:50:22 PM

Bless
I I is on the fence with this one; I think its a moral dilemma rather than it being an outright wrong. How do you take a life to save a life; does conducting research on embryonic cells seem wrong if it could lives of not only living people but generations to come? And when you've seen your loved ones suffering fro cancer, diabetes or Parkinsons; its not that easy to just say its wrong. How do we protect the life of an embryo but refuse to find ways of saving the lives of those to come? Its something each person has to reason with JAH to find their peace.
But what concerns I more than finding cure for diseases is the potential for abuse this kind of research has. History has shown us hoow disastrous human being's curiousity can be. And with stem cell research the door is open for human cloning and all kinds of scientific experiments in pursuit of satisfying human's being narcissistic egos. What other new incurable illnesses will be created out of this kind of work are unknown and the door is basicaly wide open. That for I is the biggest concern; to take a life to save lives is controversial but has forseeable benefit (difficult as it is to accept this morally), but the risk of abuse by science and the unknown problems this research would create is something I n I find hard to grapple with.
JAH Guide,
bless

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 3/18/2009 3:13:33 PM

"History has shown us how disastrous human being's curiousity can be." You could remove curiousity and it still bares (or is it bears?) truth.

Stem cell research is more excuse for the above in untold measure,  in my view. Particularly when most other medecine, apart from this western fringe, understand disease as the removal of ease from a person with metaphysical consequence. Therefore would not need to consider as drastic a measure as cell based intrusion research. More likely an investment into holistic research of human condition. But I guess that would definitely be backward to the same legislators.

I do find it interesting. I was watching the news on it recently.
Give thanks.

Hi Empress Ten!!

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 3/18/2009 3:38:47 PM

Bless to see the i, i Sistren Ten

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 3/18/2009 8:46:55 PM

i believe this is a lack of proper info, do research on the subject to know, that is not even what happened, the research was happening without government capital, not it is funding it. nothing different just more money available. and do you think they are killing to do their research, come on.

that moral talk is water under a bridge, some talk of moral as if its monopolize. and only when it suits them. those so called conservatives. many things happening in the US is not moral.

but we cannot escape the future, and if we can help those in need then that what we should do, that what science dose, if we were the one looking for a care.

when they were going to make the first heart surgery they said the same, it is impossible its playing God, and the black man did it and the rest is history,

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 3/18/2009 9:03:28 PM

Ras Power,

It is killing if one believes that a human embryo is a human being possessing a soul.

Here is an interesting article I found:

The current debate over research on Embryonic Stem Cells raises in the starkest way a crucial Moral question concerning the ultimate meaning and value of human life. From the perspective of both Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Christianity as well as the Roman Catholic Church, human life begins at conception (meaning fertilization with creation of the single-cell zygote). This conviction is grounded in the Biblical witness (e.g., Psalm 139:13-16; Isaiah 49:1ff; St. Luke 1:41, 44), as well as in the scientifically established fact that from conception there exists genetic uniqueness and cellular differentiation that, if the "conceptus" is allowed to develop normally, will produce a live human being. Human life is sacred from its very beginning, since from conception it is ensouled existence. As such, it is "personal" existence, created in the image of Almighty God and endowed with a sanctity that destines it for eternal life.

Conservative, Pro-Life voices throughout the country have enthusiastically praised President George W. Bush's decision regarding scientific research using human embryonic stem cells (ESCR). That decision would allow research on some sixty lines of existing stem cells, developed from human embryos which were destroyed as the cells were harvested. It would prohibit creation of embryos for research purposes, and it urges further study into the feasibility of utilizing adult stem cells to achieve the same therapeutic ends envisioned for embryonic stem cells. These limitations, it is argued, would ensure that extra embryos resulting from in vitro fertilization techniques would not be subjected to manipulation by researchers, nor would embryos be created, by cloning or any other means, for the specific purpose of serving as research subjects.

We, applaud the President's initiative in seeking a reasonable compromise between assuring protection of human life at every stage of its development, and exploring the potential therapeutic benefits to be derived from pluripotent stem cells. We are gratified that he has expressed unambiguous opposition to human cloning. We cannot, however, condone the manipulation of embryonic cells in any form for research purposes, including lines developed from destroyed embryos. Rather, we can only express dismay at the fact that the debate over this issue has avoided major considerations regarding the very meaning and value of human life.

President Bush's proposal to use only the existing sixty lines of stem cells because the embryos had already been destroyed (i.e., killed) falters on the precept enunciated by the Holy Apostle St. Paul in Romans 3:8, "We may not do evil so that good may come." The very act of destroying those embryos is evil, and we may not profit from evil even to achieve a good and noble end.

Although the President's Solomonic decision appears to serve Pro-Life interests, in fact it unwittingly opens the floodgates to ever more utilitarian manipulation of human life. Research on existing stem cell lines should be prohibited for the simple reason that those embryos should never have been created in the first place. The moral line has been crossed, and Mr. Bush's proposed limitations do little to prevent an inevitable descent down an increasingly slippery slope.

Our opposition to ESCR is based on the following considerations, which are Political as well as Medical and Theological.

In the first place, debate on this issue has too often overlooked the fact that among the most vocal proponents of embryo research are Pro-Abortion activists, supported by much of the media. If the Government refuses to fund such research, it would thereby tacitly acknowledge that human life begins at conception. This flies in the face of Abortion legislation such as Roe v. Wade and would inevitably undermine the view that an embryo is merely a clump of tissue and can therefore be aborted on demand with no moral consequences. The real issue underlying the debate, then, is less the development of potential therapies than the preservation of so-called "abortion rights."

Secondly, enormous pressures to Legalize and Federally fund Embryonic Stem Cell Research is coming from the Biotech and Pharmaceutical Industries, because of the promise of nearly limitless profits. The "new medicine" based on stem cell therapies is largely driven by the marketplace. As with AIDS medications and other recently developed therapies, market forces will determine who has access to them, and at what cost.

Third, it should be noted that in the recent past (1992) scientists were touting the exceptional benefits of Fetal Tissue, particularly in the treatment of illnesses such as Parkinson's disease. To date, such therapies have been a disappointment. Some Parkinson's patients, in fact, have suffered irreversible damage due to the introduction of foreign cells into their brains. And no new medicines of significance have been produced using fetal cells. Claims that embryonic stem cells will produce a panacea are likely to be equally exaggerated.

Fourth, the slippery slope of ESCR is dangerous and potentially irreversible. Already an Australian Company, in November 2000, received a patent to create chimeras: animals with body tissue and organs produced using human stem cells. And in February 2001, a team of San Francisco researchers announced that they had created a strain of mice, one quarter of whose brains were composed of human cells. In just thirty years the utilitarian slope has taken us from legalized abortion to partial-birth abortion, to physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia, in addition to acceptance of fetal tissue therapy and destruction of embryos to harvest stem cells. Unless moral persuasion can reverse the trend, the slope will lead to a tragic devaluation of human life.

Fifth, ever since the Nazi Holocaust the principle has been universally accepted by the scientific community that no experimentation should be undertaken on human subjects without the subject's informed consent. Obviously, such consent cannot be granted by an embryo (nor, by the way, by a two-year old). Neither the Mother nor anyone else has "proxy" rights in this regard over the life and well-being of a Child in utero or in vitro.

Sixth, ESCR relies on cloning to produce multiple copies of the cells under investigation. Cloning in animal experiments has a failure rate on the order of 95%, and mice and other animals produced through cloning have been born with serious genetic defects. The cloning of human embryos for research purposes presents similar dangers, and for this reason alone it should be permanently banned.

Finally, it has been proved recently that adult stem cells, together with those harvested from placentas and umbilical cords, hold as much if not more promise than embryonic stem cells. In May, 2001, the prestigious scientific journal Cell published a report showing that adult bone marrow cells have an extraordinary capacity to differentiate into epithelial cells of the liver, lung, GI tract and skin. The report noted that "This finding may contribute to clinical treatment of genetic disease or tissue repair." In August, 2001, researchers reported finding adult stem cells in mouse brains that were used to produce muscle cells; and a Canadian team isolated "versatile" (pluripotent) cells in mice that produced neural, muscle and fat cells. This means that in the relatively near future it should be possible to harvest stem cells from a patient's skin, multiply them by cloning, and use them for therapeutic purposes, including the growing of new organs.

In conclusion, we firmly reject any and all manipulation of human embryos for research purposes as inherently immoral and a fundamental violation of human life. We call upon the President and the Congress of the United States to restore and maintain a total ban on ESCR. Furthermore, we encourage the scientific community to reject pressures for ESCR exerted by the Pro-Abortionist lobby, the Biotech and Pharmaceutical industries, and to devote their energies and resources to discovering, harvesting and utilizing non-embryonic stem cells, including those derived from adults, placentas and umbilical cords.

Above all, we urge all Orthodox Tewahedo Faithful, together with all Orthodox and all Christians, the Medical Community and Political leaders, to return to the spirit of the Hippocratic Oath: "Primum non nocere, -First of all, do no harm." Embryonic stem cell research results in unmitigated harm. It should be unequivocally rejected in the interests of preserving both the sacredness and the dignity of the human person.

Praise JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/18/2009 11:48:14 PM

Sometimes I wonder if all the things we do to make a person live longer and longer are things which are actually making us weaker generation after generation.

We already can and do live forIver, as long as we don't destroy ourselves. Every single One of us today has Itinued to Live, from since the time we were first Created.

I think what would have done Humans much more good would have been if they mastered Conception, Pregnancy, Child Birth, Breast Feeding, and Child Raising. Researching to find out how we must condition our bodies and mind, with proper nutrition and herbs, so that our sperm or egg are in the healthiest possible state. And then to Itinue this throughout the pregnancy and afterwards while Breast Feeding, and Raising I and I children with the best Health of Irits, Mind and Body.

I am not speaking against medical research in general, but more against people's obsession with making a body walk the earth longer than it was meant to. I am not saying that we should refuse medical treatment if necessary, but we should come to realize when the point has passed, when it is time to accept the Itinuation of Life and accept our place and season.

Preservation of Human Life, and Preservation of Human Health, will only come through putting our focus on Healthful ProCreation.

Preparation for ProCreation

Ark I

Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I Menen I

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 3/19/2009 10:26:29 AM

i am pro choice thats wast jah gave ini, those prolife people would turn roe v wade upside down with their moral talk.

choice, education and work will lead to less of this

and there are so many people alive and they don't care of them. hungry home less

H.I.M said

it is Our conviction that all the activities of the children of men which are not guided by the spirit and counsel of God will bear no lasting fruit, they will not be acceptable in the sight of the lord and will come to naught as the tower of babel came to naught.

stem sells are produce every day in child birth

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/19/2009 11:26:18 AM

Fire Burn the pro-choice deception. Call it what it is pro-abortion or pro-choice-to-abort, or more clearly pro-choice-to-kill. The pro-choice deception waters down the reality of what is done, to make the pro-choice-to-kill movement more desireable.

Don't try to use Selassie I words in an attempt to support such wickedness. You can't serve two masters.

Ras Power, you are sounding more and more like the Babylonians all the time. Has your thinking always been like this, but just wasn't expressed on the forum, or is this Babylonian thinking a newer occurrence for you.

Ark I

Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I Menen I

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 3/19/2009 2:53:36 PM

Fyah on that choice to abort foreal!

I and I have one King and Queen, one Mother and Father of all iration, one God.

We procreate, but Jah creates. Jah give us life; he is the life giver and life sustainer. If he give I and I a natural order, by which we can reproduce ourselves so that we may itinue this life Jah has given us. If Jah let life enter this world, this iwa, through procreation; yet some choose to remove the life, then this is taking a life which was created by Jah. This shows the irresponsibility of the person in the first place. If the person is not accepting of the fact that procreation is a possible effect through the cause of sex, then the person shouldn't have had sex in the first place.

6th commandment: Thou shalt not kill.

It is wickedness. It works against life, it remains outside of the balance of the natural order establish by HIM.

Ras I-Tom

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I