Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3241&start_row=1

What about dinosaurs?

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 11/19/2008 1:39:44 PM

Greetings and peace in the name of the Almighty Haile I Selassie I JAH RASTAFARI,
This post could be irrelevant, but I always wonder about it.

Then what about the dinosaurs? In light of what we read in Genesis, what is the real sequence of events regarding these creatures? If God created dinosaurs, why aren't they mentioned in the Bible? Was man on earth at the same time as the dinosaurs?

Many people don't realize that paleontology (the study of past geological ages based primarily on the study of fossils) is a relatively new science. In fact, the concept of "dinosaurs" only surfaced in its present form less than 180 years ago. Prior to that, anyone who found a large fossilized bone assumed it came from an elephant, dragon or giant. It wasn't until 1841 that English scientist Richard Owens suggested that the group of "newly discovered" animals be called "dinosaurs" (meaning, "terrible lizards"). Therefore, we shouldn't expect to see dinosaurs in the Bible, but we should expect to see descriptions of "dragons" and other large creatures. In fact, we do!

A search for the word "dragon" in the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible produces 34 separate matches across 10 different books written between approximately 2000 BC and 90 AD. The word "dragon" ( Hebrew: tannin) is used throughout the Old Testament, and most directly translates as "sea or land monsters." Interestingly, Genesis 1:21 describes God's creation of sea dragons (tannin) on the 5th day. Today's Bible translations use the following terms instead: "great whales" (KJV), "the great creatures of the sea" (NIV), "the great sea monsters" (NASB), and "great sea creatures" (NLT, NKJV). However, the original Hebrew is more descriptive of the sea-going dinosaurs we now see in numerous museums throughout the world. Even more dramatic is the Book of Job, where the author describes the great land creature, Behemoth (Job 40), and the great water creature, Leviathan (Job 41). Although the latest Bible translations use the words elephant, hippo or crocodile instead of Behemoth and Leviathan, the original Hebrew and the context of the descriptions do not allow for these interpretations.

Descriptions of dinosaur-like creatures are nearly universal throughout the world's ancient cultures. Where did this global concept originate? How did societies throughout the world describe, record, draw, etch, sew and carve such creatures in such uniformity, if they did not witness these creatures during their lifetimes? Of course, these accounts are by no means limited to the Bible. Dragon accounts from China, Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America share similar accounts of dinosaur-like beasts. Records of Marco Polo in China show that the royal house kept dragons for ceremonies, and records of the Greek historian Herodotus and the Jewish historian Josephus describe flying reptiles in ancient Egypt and Arabia. In many cultures it was a great honor to kill these creatures. There are numerous records of warriors killing great beasts in order to establish credibility in a village. Gilgamesh, Fafnir, Beowulf and other famous legends, including the mythology of Egypt, Greece and Rome, provide specific descriptions of dragons and other dinosaur-like creatures.

Dinosaurs are depicted on numerous objects of ancient art throughout the world. Dinosaur-like creatures are featured on Babylonian landmarks, Roman mosaics, Asian pottery and royal robes, Egyptian burial shrouds and government seals, Peruvian burial stones and tapestries, Mayan sculptures, Aboriginal and Native American petroglyphs (carved rock drawings), and many other pieces of ceremonial art throughout ancient cultures. If dinosaurs supposedly went extinct at least 50 million years ago, how did ancient man of the last few thousand years precisely and uniformly depict them? The Bible is clear -- sea creatures were created by God on Day 5 and land creatures were created by God on Day 6. These creatures included dinosaurs, which co-existed with man until they died off for various reasons, including most dramatically, the worldwide flood of Noah.

How do I and I sight this?
RastafarI

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 11/19/2008 1:57:43 PM

The world is obviously much older than 6,000 years. The world is several billion years old.

This also raises another question, what about evolution? I believe in evolution but I also believe that there is a big difference between Humans and animals. JAH must have intervened in humans to create them in his own image and likeness.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/19/2008 5:56:02 PM

JAH created every living thing, just as HE made people in HIS I-Mage, animals and vegetation are made in HIS IMage too. God is not only human, HE encompasses all because HE is that Spirit of Creation, but when HE walked upon this earth HE walked as Man. As for dinosaurs clearly we can't deny their presence. They roamed this earth long before the story of Creation became the Holy Word. In I view, the HIStory of JAH Word began long before people could record it.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/19/2008 10:06:38 PM

The fact that people make pictures of dragons, monsters, spaceships and other things doesn't necessarily mean they ever saw one.

Look at all the artists in the world, from paintings, sculptures, movies and other mediums and how they make creatures and other things that have never been seen before.

I am not saying that the people in old times didn't see dragons or monsters, but the fact that they made a picture of one doesn't at all mean they actually saw one. Humans have a great capacity for imagination. So no conclusion can be made either way based on paintings, sculptures and other similar things.

If you look at Genesis and compare it to Evolution theory, the order of things are very similar.

[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Evolution theory speaks of the beginning of matter and space

[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
[5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

This seems to suggest that the light came after matter was formed, this part differs from evolution theory. I think evolution theory speaks of the light coming first.

[6] And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
[7] And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
[8] And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Evolution theory speaks of the atmosphere forming around the time the waters formed.

[9] And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
[10] And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Evolution theory says that the earth was first covered with water and one of the many theories say that at some point a lot of the water boiled away (I think from meteors and other things from space falling to the earth) and uncovered the earth. They claim that there might have been life in the waters before this but they also claim that all that life died when the waters boiled, which makes it possible that no living cell-based organisms existed before this point.

[11] And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
[12] And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
[13] And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Evolution theory says that the plants appeared on earth before animals.

[14] And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
[15] And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
[16] And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
[17] And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
[18] And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
[19] And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

The order of this is not the same as evolution theory, it would say that the sun and stars came first.

[20] And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
[21] And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
[22] And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
[23] And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
[24] And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
[25] And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Evolution theory also speaks of all the animals coming some time after plants were formed. And just as evolution theory speaks of animals coming first in the ocean Genesis 1:20 shows the same thing.

[26] And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
[27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
[28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Evolution theory also speaks of man coming into being after many of the other animals were formed.

Evolution theory is just that, a theory. The differences between the order of things in Genesis and the order of things in evolution theory could be a mistake in evolution theory or genesis, I can't say for sure.

But if you look at the overall picture, both sequences of events are very similar.

Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I formed all things.

You said that dinosaurs weren't specifically mentioned, but almost all animals were not specifically mentioned in Genesis, only a few were mentioned by name, the rest were generally refered to as creatures.

However everything came about, Jah RasTafarI must have had a great part, how else could such an amazing system of Life be formed, which always returns to balance.

Ark I

Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 11/21/2008 8:20:17 AM

Give thanks for the reply,
Raspect.
"Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I formed all things." Yes I

I do not think i am a real beliver of evolution, as in 'man gets more smarter as the years go by'.
If i and i sight all was already there and sophisticated. I dought with the high technology if man can re-build a priamide that can last for thousands of years.
As long as Man/woman are created by the image of Jah, He created i and i perfect.It is our own doing that makes it other wise.

Charles Darwin:"To suppose that the eye [...] could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
I think man is evolving into wickedness. Trying to be supernatural and things.

Givethanks again,
RastafarI makes all balance, true word sound.

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 3/20/2009 8:33:00 PM

I watched an interesting documentary on evolution vs. creationism, its by Walter J veith, who explains how he went from believing in evolution to believing in creation theory. He was a university professor who taught evolution but later resigned, he also talks about the catholic church and occult phenomenon

here is the link:

walter j veith from evolution to creation

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 3/21/2009 6:29:30 PM

Bless.

Eleazar? Is thee I from Trinidad?

Just wondering about something.

Guidance.

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 3/22/2009 9:51:21 AM

Empress Yaa,

I am from North Carolina

Blessed Sabbath to all!

Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 3/22/2009 10:35:15 AM

i can only laugh, evolution v creation, that's the battle, and ini know his majesty won that one.

who believes in evolution don't believe in the creator. the two don,t mix.

the creator said he created everything from nothing
evolution every thing evolved from one cell.

jah say who believe on him shall not fail, size and strength don't matter.

evolution say,the fittest of the fittest survive.

the philosophy which hold one race superior to another. Hitler argreed

his majesty said

that until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned;

evolution has not place in someone who is spiritual

blessed love

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 3/22/2009 5:00:35 PM

----------
who believes in evolution don't believe in the creator. the two don,t mix.
--------

Word sound!
Yes I, blessed love!

Ras I-Tom

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I