Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3005&start_row=1

1 Corinthians 11 v 14

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 8/24/2008 6:17:03 PM

Does this verse say man must have short hair??

If InI would like to comment on this please?

Haile I

Messenger: Diego B. Sent: 8/25/2008 2:50:49 AM

Generally we should have short hair. But if we abide by the special Vow of the Nazarite we should let them grow.
Qeddus Pawlos is now speaking for the non Nazarites; infact, in Act 18,18 is written that Paul himself was a Nazarite.
Then, according to the Tradition, also Jack the Righteous was a Nazarite.

blessed

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 8/25/2008 6:55:49 AM

blessed love my lawd Diego B.

I wouldn't agree. Generaly InI was made to have hair, why InI should cut what JAH made? Socialy it's better for men to have short hair, but JAH made locks for this one, so man does not have to look after his hair like a woman, same is for a woman, there is nothing more beautiful than a princess with locks...but locks have a spiritual porpouse.

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 8/25/2008 7:23:28 AM

greetings Prince Hotep,
but still.. why then would Paul say that it was a disgrace?
another question why do InI RastafarI cover our dreads on prayers, chant while praises? even Orthodox Twehado cover the head while praying. InI have lear't that women must cover the head and man mus'nt.
give thanks brethren.

Messenger: Diego B. Sent: 8/25/2008 9:05:50 AM

Blessings and greetings,

the growing of locks is eversince matter for special requirements. Eversince the Time of the Law given to Moses, which in Num 6, states that a man who wants to take a vow, he has to grow locks. But if locks were usual to men, why should have the Law spoke so? The fact that our hair grow naturally is indeed on purpouse of leaving them grow when we want to make a vow. (let me say not everything grows naturally can't be cut, such as nails).
Long hair andor veil are a sing for women of submission to their man, their Housband, since they are not made in image of God, but in image of man (as Genesis states). Yet it is man who is in Image of God, so, as God is for man, man is for Women. Man being the glory of God, can't cover His Head, which is God HimSelf. Women, as a sing of submission must, since from man she was taken, for man she has been done, and of man she is the Glory (the "delight of his eyes", says a Prophet).
Man must be man in his looking, for that is the Image of God. Just like for man is better to grow his beard, to resemble most the Image of God.

to Jah Bird:

The Levites priest as written in Leviticus must bear turbants, a sing of Glory (so it is written). Since they had white turbants (color of purity), they adhorned they head, which is God. And that is just like the kings' crown, made of gold.
Orthodox priest are like the levites, and they are allowed to cover their heads in praying.
We, if not ethiopian orthodox priest (no other priesthood is acknowledged), should all leave our head uncovered while praying, even though we are dreadlocks.

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 8/25/2008 9:52:26 AM

give thanks Diego B

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 8/25/2008 12:00:53 PM

Greetings...

I like the reasoning, but was going to leave it alone, yet felt I had to say something in regards to Diego B's statement:

"Long hair andor veil are a sing for women of submission to their man, their Housband, since they are not made in image of God, but in image of man (as Genesis states)."

That is definitely open to interpretation, and please let's not fall into the trap of defining God as a man. It is common for human beings to attribute our physical characteristics on God, so as to make God a more tangible subject, but it is certainly not that easy. God is the fullness of all things, man and woman stand equally.

SELAM

Messenger: Diego B. Sent: 8/25/2008 4:06:01 PM

The Bible ItSelf speaks of God not as a man, but, allow me to say, as a human-god. If man is made in Image and Likeness of God, this means that the resemblance of man, is the same of God. How do you recognize one man? how do we distinguish men from beasts? That is true in Spirit and in Flesh.
When the Bible speaks of God as a Man, inthe masculine gender, of a God with hands, eyes, mouths, ears and so on, generally western interpretations go that this is anthropomorphisation of the trascendental and metaphisical and bla bla bla: Hypocrites , and pagan philosophers. The Ethiopian God is not an intangible God, an philosophical god. But a God Who loves hate, jelous and happy: Who is Love. He has human feelings , but purified of all our passions. Remember that God comes first, then man. And man has an example of himself in God. But it is not God inimage of man: at the contrary.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/25/2008 10:56:06 PM

Prince Hotep, the I said it perfectly when the I said:
---------------------
Socialy it's better for men to have short hair
---------------------

John.1

[45] Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
[46] And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

It is the same now as it was then. The reason Nathanael said "Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth?" is because that is how people in those times and these times look at the Nazarites. It is a shame to be a Nazarite in the world because the Nazarites are not of this world.

A few days ago I posted a previous reasoning of mine about Paul and I mentioned the subject of hair. Here is the part of the reasoning about hair:

----------------------------------
When Paul was speaking saying that men shouldn't let their hair grow long, he said

1 Corinthians 11
[16] But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

So he was showing that if a man comes to argue with him about that, it is not a custom of the churches of God. So by this I sight that he was saying that, that was his opinion and not a rule or custom of the church. But if you check his words about locks, in a way he is right by saying long hair is a shame. It is not that I and I who grow our locks should be ashamed(although it seems that Paul himself thinks it is a shame), but the people around us will look at it as a shame. I and I who are locks man experience that regularily by the reaction of some people to I and I Hola Consecration.

When you check the scriptures,

John 1
[45] Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
[46] And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

People went so far from the way Mosed taught them that instead of looking at the Nazarites as Hola people, they look at them as a shame and that nothing good can come from them.

In a wicked world, good is a shame and wickedness is praised.
----------------------------------

Ark I
Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I Menen I

Messenger: Eboni Yehuda Sent: 8/25/2008 11:01:53 PM

Once agian, this is what I was talking about in the other thread about the letter that Garvey wrote about Selassie I. This is a prime example, of how as I stated before that Peter and Paul disagreed.

The bredren was wearing their hair long, when Paul came along telling the bredren to cut their hair. This caused great controversay. That is when the churches began to split.

If we remeber Paul, he said that "some of you say that you are of Paul, and some say that you are of Apollos". This shows the division that was present.

But not to get sidetracked, there was a split among the men concerning this. However I feel that we as the watchers of Isreal, should not cut our hair. We have taken the Nazerite vow for life. That is why InI can not put a razor to InI heads. This go for the women as well as the men.

If one does not want to take the Nazerite vow, then so be it. But I disagree when Paul says that men are feminine if they wear long hair. I would have to disagree with Paul there. SAMSON WAS FAR FROM FEMININE!!!!!!!!

Personaly I feel that Paul had some sexual issues, due to his conversion. He was a aristocrat Roman by all intent and purposes. Yes he was a Jew by blood, but he did not live the life. He lived as a wealthy Roman. And even when he was pursecuted by Rome, he would rely on his Roman stsus to save him, even as an apostle at times.

Without going into depth, we know what type lifestyle he may of lived. Therefore, he could of been making up for a *** lifestlye by trying to appear overly masculine. Out of all the Apostles, Paul did not have a girlfriend/wife.

Peter on the other hand was a very strong man, and wore his hair long. How can Paul come to Peter, and tell him that he is feminie????? Fishermen were not of the weak variety.

I am not here to bash Paul, or any Ras before me, but InI do need to put things in it's proper perspective. Let I put it like this. If Paul were here right now, I would have questions for him, concerning where does he get his reasons for some of the rules he comes up with. I would like to know if they are religiously sound doctrine?

Jah Rastafari Empress Menen Bless the I's

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I