Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2899&start_row=1

'Fyah bun fi meat' Bobo Hill's world of food

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bobo Lion Sent: 6/28/2008 10:06:18 PM

There are no beer bellies, spare tyres or love handles at Bobo Hill.

No hippy women with meaty thighs or flabby arms.

In this tightly governed hillside community of Rastas on the fringes of eastern Kingston, bodies are lean with nary an ounce to spare.

The slender physiques are a testimony to their meatless diet. The Rastafarians at Bobo Hill say they do not eat meat, or ground provisions that grow on a vine, like pumpkin, red peas and sweet potato. Instead, they eat mainly fruits; vegetables; ground provisions like yam and dasheen; bananas and plantains; and whole wheat flour.

Bobo Hill grows its own food ­ callaloo, peanuts, bananas, dasheen, coco, plantain, Irish potato, carrot, cassava, and a variety of other items. (They do, however, buy from outside when they run short.) They also bake their own bread, yatty (patty), and puddings.

WHY RASTAS DO NOT EAT MEAT

It's a form of cannibalism: Jermaine 'Priest Kassa' Flemmings, a resident of the Hill, describes meat eating as a form of cannibalism that contributes to the increasing rate of obesity in Jamaica.

Illness and diseases: He also reckons that our meat-based diet is a factor in illnesses such as cancer, high blood pressure, and tuberculosis.

"The bacteria of animal meat and human blood get contaminated and because of this the body becomes 'green', 'crossed' and 'miserable' and humans get all types of diseases," he explains.

He advises men to include more salads and tomatoes in their diet to reduce their risk of prostate cancer. Vegetables, he adds, will cleanse the body and tomato is excellent in preventing the disease. The body also needs a red food as the blood is red and needs a red addition to balance itself.

"To be free from all sickness and diseases and live a healthy lifestyle ­ fresh juices, salads. Every time you go to eat you should see on your plate red, gold and green (in colour of foods)."

Meat is not needed to fuel the human body: Priest Kassa who cooks frequently at the Universal Kitchen at the camp adds that animal meat provided for human consumption often contains diseases unbeknown to the supplier. Meat is not necessary, he adds, because other food items provide all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins needed by the body.

"I and I meat free to keep a steady diet. I and I carry vegetable fat and not a fleshy fat."

It's forbidden because they are true followers of Jesus Christ: Priest Linton Forrester, another resident, explains that meat is forbidden because they are Nazarenes, true followers of Jesus Christ, who do not partake of the flesh.

This, he said, can be proven in the Bible, Numbers 6 and Hebrews 7, which speak to why Rastafarians wear their hair in locks. He also notes that when pork is eaten by humans their sin is multiplied seven times seven.

WHY THEY DO NOT EAT FOOD GROWN ON VINES

They do not eat of the vine because it runs. This, they say, makes their spirit grow in the same way that the vine does and will therefore make them not steadfast in memory (forgetful). Plus, the devil feeds on foods of the vine.

However, on rare occasions, a person with hernia is given pumpkin as medicine.

NATURAL HERBS ­ BUT NO GARLIC

Natural herbs like escallion, thyme and onions are used liberally at Bobo Hill. (Bottled or powered seasonings are forbidden.) However, the priests, ministers of Jah, rarely eat garlic as they say it interferes with their spirituality and causes them to be self-indulgent and priests have a duty to keep their temper free and pure.

The aloe vera is often used as a cleansing agent to purify the body of unwanted substance.

EAT WITH CAUTION

There are certain foods that are eaten at Bobo Hill with cautious preparation:

Sweet and scotch bonnet peppers: The seeds have to be removed because they "stick up on lungs and can cause a stoppage of water," says Priest Kassa.

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 6/29/2008 3:08:52 AM

where is fish?
by the way the garlic thing is not true, because other Bobo eat garlic, this one got I fooled, but got clearance from Hon. ROOK, very strange article...

Messenger: Bobo Lion Sent: 6/29/2008 3:59:15 AM

Have you heard of any Bobo Shanti Rastas eating fruit from the vine?

Messenger: FarI-Sight Sent: 6/29/2008 1:09:20 PM

My Lord, Bobo Shanty in the true essence is a Nazarite Order as the Hon Priest did show the I them. Nazarite tradition exclude from vine fruits as Number 6 show. A BoBo who eat vine fruits are not practising the livity in its fullness, even ones such as Capleton have mentioned that they too do not consume fruit and veg of the vine, and i myself for 3 years since I have come to know I Self as Emmanuel.
Blessed

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 6/29/2008 2:29:03 PM

Very interesting information, no fruit of vine? Grapes are forbidden?

I appreciate the reasoning. I do however believe that simply eliminating meat from ones diet is not only factor. I have lived on vegetarian diet at one time and vegan at one time and maintained my same genetic physique. This was over a 5 to 6 year time span. The health benefit was mainly clearer skin, fewer allergy problems, and more energy, however I became severely anemic and have not recovered from that condition as of yet and the lack of B vitamin group affected the ability to manage stress.

Please provide more and/or leave resource info.

-RSK

Messenger: FarI-Sight Sent: 6/29/2008 7:52:19 PM

Blessed Love
Haile I Selassie I JAH Rastafari

Yes Empress Sistren Khamyl. Give ises for the i sound.Iman is a 3rd year Naturopathic student and i thought i could share what i have learnt with the i.

One thing they have not mentioned is that Bobo Shanti eat fish, that is most of us, although some of us are raw foodists and some are vegans, but the Father ate fish and told us the small fish is the vegetable of the sea.

So what we lack from the vine fruits we get from the nutrients in the fish,namely b12( yes, no grapes, no sweet potato, NO YAMS even if they wrote it in the article its a mistake for yams grow like creepers, no squash, not all berries, no okra etc...)

Important nutrients that are missing from a vegan/bad vegetarian diet:

1)Complete Protein
2)B12
3)B2
4)Iron
5)Calcium
6)Essential Fatty Acids( Omega 3)

I was a vegan when i came here in Australia and i also became anaemic and iron/b12 deficient and soon became chronically fatigued.
Main reason was I come from Seychelles Islands where the fruits and veg I and I was comsuming was wholesome Ital filled with vItality and nutrients and i come here in babywrong to eat up toxic fruit,toxic veg, toxic air,toxic water,toxic everything.

So i start eat fish again, fins and scales, and I adressed these deficiencies and I am irie now.

So if one want to live vegan, one have to plant one;s own yood, or supplement with B12 and other nutrients.

Otherwise a vegetarian who comsumes dairy and fish, though dairy is a problem with mucus formation and secretion, which harbours disease and is main cause of most disease.

I would advise the I to get some b12 supplements (500-1000mg) and eat foods like mushrooms that are high in B family vitamins and Chromium which will balance your blood sugars.

If u are vegan combine well your food and dont eat refined products like white pastries,flour,bread etc. Combine wholegrains with nuts and seeds, legumes with dark leafy greens,

Eat lots fruits also as they are also high in b's and raw foods. Drink lemon juice with water first ting in the uprising to alkalise and detoxify the i system and eat proteins with lunch and dinner (like lentils, beans, tofu)

Hope that helped. Jah guide and Itect,
HAIL THE LORD JAH RASTAFARI AND HIS ANNOINTED
HOLY KING EMMANUEL 7TH ADONIE I GO JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/29/2008 9:49:26 PM

This is always helpful iyah, much thanks.

To see this is a truly a great joy to i,you know.
One day i want to see idren in almost every field of study known to man. You know,when you need something,to have a brethren or sistren,who can speak from experience and study with expertise and accuracy, that is truly something,when you dont need nothing from babylon ,that is the foundations of a great nation.A nation self sufficient as Marcus taught ini. Babylon like to portray ini like we dont want to do nothing but smoke herbs and play music, but ini Father taught ini that the greatest thing is to learn and educate others, so i want a lawyer idren,i want a doctor idren,i want a pilot idren, a farmer idren, i could go on and on

Permit if i ramble on, but today, i was watching tv news, and there was a story on Somalia,a land also on the edge of famine, they were saying the rains had failed and food is getting very scarce.
And i was looking at mine own people,in a world not of their own,who had adopted a religion not of their own. I have nothing against Islam,but still,as an African who knows that Africa knew God way before Islam, it still pains i to even see my black sistren with veiled faces and......anyway
i got to thinking of their Muslim brothers who are sitting on oil money while their fellow muslims in Africa are starving, as the same goes for the christian world, two religions in which to help the poor and feed the hungry are supposed to be central to their teachings....so why is it not so
Would it be the same if it was Rastafari who was ruling a rich country,and ini brothers and sisters were starving in another place.
Never
Never, not while ini rememmber even One Word of His Imperial Majesty and His Empress,Mother Menen

Blessed Love
Rastafari

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 6/30/2008 2:15:11 AM

"MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL AS IT CLEARLY STATE IN THE PAPER OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS WHERE ENSLAVED BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T BUY THEMSELFS" AND LOOK AT INI BROTHERS AND SITERS NOW, HOW IGNORANT AND MATERIALISTIC POEPLE BECOME; my lawd, that is why InI don't rule any rich nation because within this time it is impossible, satan is ruling the world, the world belong to him till it some more, till the cup of wrath and blood on Earth is full.

Emmanuel I Selassie I JAH Ras Tafar I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/30/2008 11:50:51 AM

Yes Prince, satan owns this world,but the earth is mine,so who is richer than iandi
Yes,one day,Rastafari shall rule the world and Christ Kingdom shall be established on earth as it is in Zion and all the aged will be protected,the children cared for and the shelterless shall have their shelter
As it was written so shall it be

Rastafari

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 6/30/2008 1:41:53 PM

Thank you brethren for all of the insight. I have been growing plants for medicinal purpose and will begin producing my own food soon.

-RSK

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I