Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2829&start_row=121

Black President

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 153
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/12/2008 7:00:12 PM

Ises High
Yea, but what I was saying was that when mainstream get the image they'll just add their own little twist to it. What amuses me about the media circus is how things will play out, accepting a Black President makes it seem as though the playing field is levelled and its ok to breathe easy and talk of post-racism Amerikkka when Obama is sworn in. And those whites that voted for him are absolved of any white guilt or racism they felt, but of course Amerikkka is still Amerikkka. Racists and racism are still very much alive. Another side to the fanaticism is the anti-Obama sentiments like the article y'posted. There are different opinions on him, and for I, I'd prefer to let Obama be Obama; like any other leader he has his strengths and his weaknesses. And I, like any other person am partisan too and I would like to believe Obama has more strengths than weaknesses, but that's to be see in due time.
I feel the more attention pple give to him fanatic or anti, its still creating a frenzy and people are diverting their own energies from how to improve their own lives. That's their present reality, Barack or no Barack, life in the ghetto is still exactly that!
Bless

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/12/2008 7:19:47 PM

I didn't get the chance to edit the previous msg but wat I was saying was mainstream media won't stop at exploiting the poor. To add to the hype they'll use that Christ image in the HBO movie to add a twist to the film as though Obama is the Black Christ & ALL Black pple believe it.

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 11/12/2008 8:21:59 PM

ya, thats what the media dose, don't mean thats what obama thinks, and surely he don't, he showed humbleness, the night he worn he could have come on hyped, the crowd watted for it, i did, he did not,

he showed patients, understanding, a will to learn, kindness,etc, more than any other that ran thats why he won, with jah of course, unpresedented, his campain in deciplin a reflection of the man, as will be refleced by his forign policies

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/12/2008 8:29:51 PM

Ises High
Yea, but what I was saying was that when mainstream get the image they'll just add their own little twist to it. What amuses me about the media circus is how things will play out, accepting a Black President makes it seem as though the playing field is levelled and its ok to breathe easy and talk of post-racism Amerikkka when Obama is sworn in. And those whites that voted for him are absolved of any white guilt or racism they felt, but of course Amerikkka is still Amerikkka. Racists and racism are still very much alive. Another side to the fanaticism is the anti-Obama sentiments like the article y'posted. There are different opinions on him, and for I, I'd prefer to let Obama be Obama; like any other leader he has his strengths and his weaknesses. And I, like any other person am partisan too and I would like to believe Obama has more strengths than weaknesses, but that's to be see in due time.
I feel the more attention pple give to him fanatic or anti, its still creating a frenzy and people are diverting their own energies from how to improve their own lives. That's their present reality, Barack or no Barack, life in the ghetto is still exactly that!
Bless

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/12/2008 8:41:16 PM

Something agwan with I computer, I think I was on the history page so it re-posted the msg from before. Anyway I feeling is there are alot of questions that remain unanswered about Obama and bec so many people will expect so much of him.He is a symbol of something to so many groups & he has to walk a tightrope to service those needs and still ensure everyone is pacified. People have reason to feel optimistic but they shouldn't be over-expectant, this Messiah status shld stop. No wonder why Marx said religion is the opium of the masses pple are so quick to buy into anything and blow it out of proportion.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/12/2008 10:10:54 PM

"My job is to be so persuasive that if there's anybody left out there who is still not sure whether they will vote, or is still not clear who they will vote for, that a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany … and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama,"

Barack Obama speech at Lebanon Opera House, New Hampshire. January 7, 2008

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/12/2008 10:22:13 PM

Official Barack Obama campaign advertisement, Kentucky May 2008

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/12/2008 10:29:37 PM

some more campaign advertisement posters

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/12/2008 10:50:53 PM

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/12/2008 11:35:37 PM

Farrakhan speech February 24,2008 - Nation of Islam Saviour's Day

"Brothers and sisters," Farrakhan said, "Barack Obama
to me, is a herald of the Messiah. Barack Obama is like the trumpet that alerts you something new, something better is on the way."

"A black man with a white mother became a savior to us," he said. "A black man with a white mother could turn out to be one who can lift America from her fall."

"Would God allow Barack to be president of a country that has been so racist, so evil in its treatment of Hispanics, native Americans, blacks?" he asked. "Would God do something like that? Yeah. Of course he would. That's to show you that the stone that the builders rejected has become the headstone of the corner. This is a sign to you. It's the time of our rise. It's the time that we should take our place. The future is all about you."

"You are the instruments that God is going to use to bring about universal change, and that is why Barack has captured the youth. And he has involved young people in a political process that they didn't care anything about. That's a sign. When the Messiah speaks, the youth will hear, and the Messiah is absolutely speaking."

---------------------------------------------
November 9, 2008

The Associated Press

Farrakhan says Obama draws a 'oneness of spirit'

By SOPHIA TAREEN

CHICAGO (AP) ? Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan said in an address Sunday
celebrating Barack Obama that the new president-elect has a God-given capacity to handle
any burdens he'll face as the nation's leader.

Farrakhan added that Obama will be able to make positive changes only with help from "God
and people of goodwill," and he urged followers of the Chicago-based black nationalist
movement to do their part.

"President-elect Obama has energized all segments of the depressed, downtrodden, rejected
and despised," he said in a 90-minute speech at Mosque Maryam on the city's South Side.
"Now it is up to us to take the new energy that he has given us ... and channel that
energy into making ourselves better."

Dressed in intricately decorated red and gold robes and a matching fez, the once-ailing
75-year-old leader spoke to more than 1,000 followers in an address called "America's New
Beginning: President-elect Barack Obama."

Farrakhan, who said Obama draws a "oneness of spirit" from all people, admitted he stayed
quiet about his support for Obama during the past few months out of fear his words would
harm the Illinois senator's bid for the White House.

In February, Farrakhan praised Obama, calling him "the hope of the entire world that
America will change and be made better" at a Saviours' Day event in Chicago.

But Obama quickly distanced himself from Farrakhan, denouncing the minister's support
during a presidential debate with then-Democratic rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Obama said he objected to Farrakhan's past statements about Judaism, which many have
considered anti-Semitic. Nation of Islam officials have said Farrakhan's comments are
often taken out of context.

On Sunday, Farrakhan said Obama faced unfair scrutiny for his associations with the Rev.
Jeremiah Wright, Obama's former pastor, who was shown making fiery statements about the
U.S. government in widely circulated video clips. Obama was also criticized because of
the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Chicago priest who mocked Clinton at Wright and Obama's
former church, Trinity United Church of Christ.

"For nine months, I kept quiet because I saw that the good words that I spoke about this
beautiful young man at our Saviours' Day convention and the way they were misused,"
Farrakhan said of Obama. "I decided it would be better for me to just be quiet rather
than be drawn into the controversy that was swirling around his pastor, Father Pfleger,
and others."

Farrakhan then added with a smile, "I feel freer today to say the things that are in my
heart."

He thanked black leaders including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, for laying
the foundation for Obama's victory, which he called Divine.

The Nation of Islam has espoused black nationalism and self-reliance since it was founded
in the 1930s, but has reached out more lately to other groups, including immigrants.

Farrakhan has haltingly tried to move the Nation toward traditional Islam, which
considers the American movement heretical.

He has also downplayed some of the group's more controversial beliefs. The Nation of
Islam has taught that whites are descended from the devil and that blacks are the chosen
people of Allah.
---------------------------------------------

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 153

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I